Newspapers

Aquamarine

OK, this would be better as a poll but as it's not a Zep topic--

what I'm interested in is, do you still read (hard-copy) newspapers? Or do you get your news from TV or online, or on the radio? Or not at all?

I can't face the day without my actual, paper, hard-copy newspaper, but I seem to be in a minority, judging from the way circulations are dwindling.

Any thoughts?

During the week I tend to rely on news specific TV channels and the internet. Saturday we get a paper; mainly for the sport pages, but on Sunday we usually buy about four papers and have a very 'inky day' reading them all. Although the supplements usually get read ad-hoc during the following week.

I like to read the Sunday paper, and during the week I get my news from the internet. I think it may turn out to be a generational thing, and it will transition over time. Older folks (not "old" necessarily, but anyone 35+ maybe...), who are accustomed to reading hard-copy papers will always do so. Younger kids, who've only ever known the internet, will probably not read hard-copy papers much. So Gen-X and Baby Boomers get older, and today's kids grow up, there will probably be a greater shift away from papers and more to electronic news.

I still like to read the paper, but find I'm getting more into the internet as a source than ever before. We have two major local rags in this town and ...wow go figure...They're owned by the same CORP.

At least the internet, altough not fool proof, provides you with some alternatives

My husband and I love printed newspapers, magazine, journals, and books but we're baby boomers - probably the "last of the Mohicans" when it comes to print media. We still read hard copy newspapers but we now supplement those with online newspaper sites. We've been readers of the WSJ for decades and are so addicted to the hard copy version of it that, when we learned none of their carriers would deliver it out here in the hinterlands, my husband made arrangements w/ the WSJ and the local post office to have the current issue delivered to our mailbox by the USPS every afternoon. I don't think that we'll ever give up our Sunday morning ritual of reading the NYT in bed and, fortunately we can pick it up (book review included) at a local shop. We're both insomniacs so when we travel by air, we pick up several national and international papers to read on the plane. There are always piles of newspapers, magazines, and books in our office. I imagine that we'll never get through them all and, when we're gone, our children will just end up throwing it all out.

I usually read my news off newspaper and television journalism sites. I don't read paper newspapers much anymore, but I do occasionally like when there's one sitting in the breakroom at work. I rarely buy one though.

At work, we sell out of paper newspapers almost every day. There are people who still read them. :D

I like to read the Sunday paper, and during the week I get my news from the internet. I think it may turn out to be a generational thing, and it will transition over time. Older folks (not "old" necessarily, but anyone 35+ maybe...), who are accustomed to reading hard-copy papers will always do so. Younger kids, who've only ever known the internet, will probably not read hard-copy papers much. So Gen-X and Baby Boomers get older, and today's kids grow up, there will probably be a greater shift away from papers and more to electronic news.

I think you hit it right on the head.I have a supscription to the Baltimore Sun;and I take the paper to work everyday to read,but I also get news online.There's been more than a few days where the paper never even gets opened.I can't imagine a day without newspapers,but then again,I remember vinyl!!

....and I fucking hate the "Gen X" label......

:beer: 'cuttings' - 'scrapbooks' ....... that was a big-time hobby when I was a schoolkid. :)

yes, that paper had loads of uses - we'd read it first of course, then you could cut out the articles you wanted to stick in your album ..... and we'd use the rest to light our fire tomorrow. Memories ! :)

Newspapers are full of lies and non important bullshite.

The online news services eschew all that at a stroke and get down to basics in one quick glance.

Never bought a newspaper for 3 years.

I don't think you can say that about every newspaper out there. Some are quite reputable.

Newspapers are full of lies and non important bullshite.

The online news services eschew all that at a stroke and get down to basics in one quick glance.

Never bought a newspaper for 3 years.

Everything in newspapers is a lie and everything you read online is true? I think not, my friend.

I still prefer newspapers and magazines to the Internet..why?

Because on the internet, 'everyone' is a professional and is correct. <_<

Newspapers are still the holiest of places of find the facts, but unfortunately I lost my job writing for mine because they can't afford to pay anybody but senior writers anymore.

I sometimes really hate our culture.

When the internet crashes and everyone panics, I guess we won't be able to get the news because the printing press will be long since retired to the Smithsonian. <_<

I still read newsPAPERS. I go through periods where I read most of it, most days, and other periods where I don't look at it at all. I usually get to do at least a quick perusal 3-4 times a week. I also read online news and watch/listen to the tv news most days.

We get the daily and Sunday papers... and sometimes they get read more or less daily, but sometimes my dad sits down and goes through the week's worth in one sitting. :lol:

OK, this would be better as a poll but as it's not a Zep topic--

what I'm interested in is, do you still read (hard-copy) newspapers? Or do you get your news from TV or online, or on the radio? Or not at all?

I can't face the day without my actual, paper, hard-copy newspaper, but I seem to be in a minority, judging from the way circulations are dwindling.

Any thoughts?

Hard copy newspapers all the way!!!!!! I like to hold what I'm reading and reading things online bothers my eyes after awhile and Tv is annoying. Plus no more news papers limits career options for me when I'm done with university.

Also another thing I'd like to say: boycott products printed in China!!!

Hard copy newspapers all the way!!!!!! I like to hold what I'm reading and reading things online bothers my eyes after awhile and Tv is annoying. Plus no more news papers limits career options for me when I'm done with university.

Also another thing I'd like to say: boycott products printed in China!!!

I understand that because I'm the same way. Are you studying journalism?

Archived