2022 NFL Thread

Walter

43 minutes ago, the chase said:

come on  Rick ...  if Josh Allen got clobbered like that and it wasn't called you'd be losing it. 

I really did not see any more than usual momentum hit after QB threw ball.  But I suppose I should like the result as it keeps the Bills farther up.   And Chase, it took a long time to throw that flag.  I say it’s crap.  Shula and Landry used to get those calls.  And why is Billy boy hanging around?  For the records?  He has to know he is not going far with this team now

The Saints finally showed up on defense.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I really did not see any more than usual momentum hit after QB threw ball.  But I suppose I should like the result as it keeps the Bills farther up.   And Chase, it took a long time to throw that flag.  I say it’s crap.  Shula and Landry used to get those calls.  And why is Billy boy hanging around?  For the records?  He has to know he is not going far with this team now

The Saints finally showed up on defense.  

Shula and Landry? lol.  If you say so. I don't know. You're much more a football historian than me Rick. The Refs are calling late hits all around the league..and to me that was a late hit.. 

I think Bill's still around because he's one of the best Coaches of all time,  he loves what he does, he gets to work with his son on one of the great sports franchises ... and the pay is pretty good too.

I doubt he gives a crap about records...but if he does that's ok too. 

On 10/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, Strider said:

Yeah, if I'm a Giants fan I am saying "Good riddance, bum!"

What's the over/under on games before Toney hurts himself again? 2? 3?

There's been speculation he doesn't want to learn the playbook, or being coached to not hurt himself. Those shifty moves are of no value, when it's your own ankles that you're breaking. It sucks rooting for a guy to return and help out, only to find he wasn't interested.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Im happy for Brian. Lets not forget that they are winning by the skin of their teeth but I would surely take it if I were a Giants fan.  I do not think they escape this surprising Seasttle team on the road this week.  But I have said that before, like the London game vs Green Bay, who my Bills play tonight.

Kickoff in London only 1.5 hours away!!!!  EST.   What is Russell going to cook today?

I just found out I cant get this game?  I have ESPN and ESPN2 but I guess you have to pay to see it.  No thanks.  I already have Prime to see the Bills on Dec 1

Unbelievable that Seattle is doing this with Geno Smith - did any one think he could be a winning starter? Still not sure they or any other team would commit to him long term.

I don't care for this whole European market program, for many reasons. Starting times, viewing availability, jet lag for players, loss of home games... and if it does take off, won't the league in general be watered down?

On 10/31/2022 at 8:35 AM, jimmie ray said:

Unbelievable that Seattle is doing this with Geno Smith - did any one think he could be a winning starter? Still not sure they or any other team would commit to him long term.

I don't care for this whole European market program, for many reasons. Starting times, viewing availability, jet lag for players, loss of home games... and if it does take off, won't the league in general be watered down?

Its been going on for years now so it must be working  The stands are full in London which leads me to believe someday they may have a team in England.  Its possible because you only play once a week in the NFL.  So a team could fly over early in the week.  Or the team from London could fly here.  It would be interesting.  The only team they ever considered in Canada was moving my Bills to Toronto.  Not happening. And they did not draw as expected when the Bills did play up there. 

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its been going on for years now so it must be working  The stands are full in London which leads me to believe someday they may have a team in England.  Its possible because you only play once a week in the NFL.  So a team could fly over early in the week.  Or the team from London could fly here.  It would be interesting.  The only team they ever considered in Canada was moving my Bills to Toronto.  Not happening. And they did not draw as expected when the Bills did play up there. 

Wouldn't the league need to have at least a few teams in Europe, Mexico, where ever else... to make this feasible? The league is already weak in QB talent coming up, and even assembling a competent O-line seems to be a chore for many teams. We really don't see many foreign players achieving in the NFL, other than pass rushers with impossible names - and they certainly are not coming from Europe.

So, let me get this straight. You have to pay extra if you`want to watch the Thursday Night games on Amazon (which are usually terrible)? And you have to pay extra if you want to watch one of the dismal games in England (which come on at 6-bloody-thirty in the morning on the West Coast) on ESPN + or NFL +?

Fuck that. I am not paying to watch that shit. An NFL expansion in Europe or Mexico or wherever would be a disaster. As jimmie ray already said, the league is watered down enough as it is. All of the sports have diluted themselves through reckless expansion and jumping on the analytics craze...NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.

23 hours ago, jimmie ray said:

Wouldn't the league need to have at least a few teams in Europe, Mexico, where ever else... to make this feasible? The league is already weak in QB talent coming up, and even assembling a competent O-line seems to be a chore for many teams. We really don't see many foreign players achieving in the NFL, other than pass rushers with impossible names - and they certainly are not coming from Europe.

If you consider the super talent QB's like Allen and Mahomes, after that you  have the aging ones that were once great but are no more, Rogers, Brady, Ryan, and then the  ones you really are not sure of like Dak, Tua, Cousins, Murray, etc.  And I am not sure where to put Lamar.  But the more teams the more the league gets the watered down effect.  Someone once told me that of the NHL.  When there were the original 6 you had to be someone special to make it to the NHL.  True. But 6 teams is ridiculous in this world.  All of the major sports leagues have expanded beyond 30 teams.  Free agency is run by the big markets that have the money.  Drafting is like hitting the lottery.  Like we did with Josh Allen.  I am not sure if London will ever have a team but I think the game has taken off more there than in Canada where they have the CFL even. 

^^^ Well, you guys seem to agree, even though we each follow different teams. It's weird that I don't get to see many Bill's games, even living in NY (but on Long Island). But good for you Cornelius (I know it''s " Rick", but I really liked your old handle), you hung in there.

The NFL is already having an issue with retaining quality QBs, regardless of gaudy seeming stats. We're seeing less pure pocket passers being developed, and things like salary cap and FA are forcing a shorter window of time to stay with their development. Most of these mobile ones, especially the run first, will likely have short careers - whether it's them exposing themselves to injury, or legs not lasting like arms and brains do. Maybe Allen will not fall to this, he has so many skills and is built like Lil' Abner...

43 minutes ago, jimmie ray said:

^^^ Well, you guys seem to agree, even though we each follow different teams. It's weird that I don't get to see many Bill's games, even living in NY (but on Long Island). But good for you Cornelius (I know it''s " Rick", but I really liked your old handle), you hung in there.

The NFL is already having an issue with retaining quality QBs, regardless of gaudy seeming stats. We're seeing less pure pocket passers being developed, and things like salary cap and FA are forcing a shorter window of time to stay with their development. Most of these mobile ones, especially the run first, will likely have short careers - whether it's them exposing themselves to injury, or legs not lasting like arms and brains do. Maybe Allen will not fall to this, he has so many skills and is built like Lil' Abner...

You live in the Jets and Giants market.  I know how that works.  All the way to Syracuse though given how good the Bills are now, Syracuse may have bailed on the Jets?  Not sure.Rochester and Buffalo of course, the Bills will be on. You should get the Bills vs Jets?  I would think

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

You live in the Jets and Giants market.  I know how that works.  All the way to Syracuse though given how good the Bills are now, Syracuse may have bailed on the Jets?  Not sure.Rochester and Buffalo of course, the Bills will be on. You should get the Bills vs Jets?  I would think

I've been watching the Jets less and less, it's too brutal on top of how the Giants have been for quite some time. I know both teams currently have winning records, but there's a ways to go to prove that's real. But my Giants forum has been buzzing about the Bills,  Allen, and the hope of what the Bills have been doing will come our way. I will certainly try to put aside the time to see what the Bills do these coming playoffs.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:07 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Jets got screwed on pick 6 called back on BS roughing call.  Changed entire game

Jets got screwed by Zach Wilson's horrible interceptions. They had plenty of opportunities to win that game and blew it. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Jets got screwed by Zach Wilson's horrible interceptions. They had plenty of opportunities to win that game and blew it. 

The loss of Hall will change their entire offense, imo. He was a stud and arguably the best player when he was on the field. Wilson sucks. 

On August 26, 1970 the New York Giants played the Pittsburgh Steelers in a preseason game at Three Rivers Stadium broadcast on ABC. The game and score were not important. What was important was this promo ABC aired during halftime.

In an era when the NFL was only played on Sunday afternoons and because of the TV rules, you mainly got only your home team's games, it was often only through random highlights on the news or during a game, that you could see the stars on other teams and the other conference in action.

But, because Monday Night Football would be the only game being shown on Monday night and it was being shown nationwide, this was finally a chance for football fans across the country to see the players that were often mere rumour because of the city in which they lived. 

For me, living in Orange County and hating the Rams, MNF was a godsend. Especially since MNF seemed to frequently schedule the Raiders.

Speaking of the Rams they dominated Tampa on defense all day and then Sean McVay BLEW THE FUCKING GAME.   What an asshole.  Brady was stopped all day.  Then all the Rams need to do is get a first down and the games over.  But dumb ass McVay just hands it off 3 times and they punt.  That was it. Prevent defense allows them to just walk down the field and score.  .Season over for Rams

Bills loss?  Sure Im pissed. But no Milano, no White return, no Poyer, and more guys hurt at the CB position early in the game.  So no run defense.  The two pics by Josh did not have anything to do with the loss.  The fucking holding call after we got a great catch by Diggs moving down for what I believe would have been a winning score, the zebras had other ideas and helped the Jets and Marble head get the win

On 11/3/2022 at 8:57 PM, Walter said:

The loss of Hall will change their entire offense, imo. He was a stud and arguably the best player when he was on the field. Wilson sucks. 

Jets run blocking got pretty strong, later in the game against the Bills. Surprising win for them.

On 11/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, Strider said:

On August 26, 1970 the New York Giants played the Pittsburgh Steelers in a preseason game at Three Rivers Stadium broadcast on ABC. The game and score were not important. What was important was this promo ABC aired during halftime.

In an era when the NFL was only played on Sunday afternoons and because of the TV rules, you mainly got only your home team's games, it was often only through random highlights on the news or during a game, that you could see the stars on other teams and the other conference in action.

But, because Monday Night Football would be the only game being shown on Monday night and it was being shown nationwide, this was finally a chance for football fans across the country to see the players that were often mere rumour because of the city in which they lived. 

For me, living in Orange County and hating the Rams, MNF was a godsend. Especially since MNF seemed to frequently schedule the Raiders.

We always got Giants and Jets, one at 1 pm and the other at 4pm, on Sundays. But weren't there nationally televised games also, for other areas who had only one local team - or even no local teams?

2 minutes ago, jimmie ray said:

We always got Giants and Jets, one at 1 pm and the other at 4pm, on Sundays. But weren't there nationally televised games also, for other areas who had only one local team - or even no local teams?

I went to Montauk last summer.  The one before this recent one.  I loved it but did not love the in season $500 a night I paid for an ocean side hotel.  I am thinking of going back next summer.  So I will look early.  My guess is your in Nassau County?  West end of Long Island?  We will make the Jets pay when they come to Orchard Park