2022 NFL Thread

Walter

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I wonder if the Lions 3 game winning streak is something for us to worry about?  There is no doubt who the better team is.  And Josh Allen should light up the Lions secondary better than any Xmas tree.  Laying 9.5 on the road is never something one wants to do.  But given the choice,  I think the Bills blow them out.

Nah.  We beat Green Bay, Chicago, and a one-dimensional Giants team.  We've taken a step in the right direction but have a long way to go.  The best news is our #1 pick from the Rams has dropped to #6.  Throw in our own and two 2nd round picks, and we can fill some holes.  I'm also intrigued by a future passing game featuring Amon St. Brown and Jamison Williams.  That's a pretty good pairing of a possession and deep threat passing attack.  What happens to Goff remains to be seen.  He's still better than half the QBs in the league, and not one of those rookie QBs from last year would have helped us.  

I like Jamaal Williams.  He's a good running back and he protects the football.  He is however a very strange dude.  Was pretty funny watching Erin Andrews interview him and backing away, not really sure what she was dealing with.  Somebody should check his locker for voodoo dolls.

Not buying this discussion of grass vs turf as far as injuries.  Are we talking about grass fields in September, or muddy fields in December where half the sod is loose because it was replaced 5 days ago?   

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Nah.  We beat Green Bay, Chicago, and a one-dimensional Giants team.  We've taken a step in the right direction but have a long way to go.  The best news is our #1 pick from the Rams has dropped to #6.  Throw in our own and two 2nd round picks, and we can fill some holes.  I'm also intrigued by a future passing game featuring Amon St. Brown and Jamison Williams.  That's a pretty good pairing of a possession and deep threat passing attack.  What happens to Goff remains to be seen.  He's still better than half the QBs in the league, and not one of those rookie QBs from last year would have helped us.  

I like Jamaal Williams.  He's a good running back and he protects the football.  He is however a very strange dude.  Was pretty funny watching Erin Andrews interview him and backing away, not really sure what she was dealing with.  Somebody should check his locker for voodoo dolls.

Not buying this discussion of grass vs turf as far as injuries.  Are we talking about grass fields in September, or muddy fields in December where half the sod is loose because it was replaced 5 days ago?   

The turf vs grass thing is a huge discussion on the Giants board that I'm on. The ACLs have been piling up, they've changed the turf frequently, and just the other day announced it will be changed to a different turf style once again this off season. They used to have a grass tray system in the previous stadium that was deep rooted, had good drainage, and could be changed via a forklift as needed - but it failed for some unknown reason. Seems that's the best route, at least in other areas.

On 11/21/2022 at 6:41 AM, jimmie ray said:

Don't forget March of the Wooden Soldiers! This will be the first year in decades that we won't get a large live tree - we have an exuberant big puppy with a thrashing tail. And my wife has declared the spruce out front too tall for me to go up and put lights on anymore. Maybe we'll look into a table top tree also.

Aww man, that's no fun. 🎄

4 minutes ago, Strider said:

Aww man, that's no fun. 🎄

Especially after investing in pine cone shaped LED lights for it. And she was the one who thought it would be nice to decorate, when I first planted it - but I said what's the point running an extension cord for 2 foot "tree"? Now it's close to 30 feet, you could see from blocks away...

The more I think about it, maybe the NFL--and MLB as well--should just abolish division play and do seeding like the NBA does. That way you could keep the number of garbage teams who barely get by, by winning a lousy division out.

But, I try not to get too worked up about it, since Tampa will be one and done, whoever they host in January....

17 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

The more I think about it, maybe the NFL--and MLB as well--should just abolish division play and do seeding like the NBA does. That way you could keep the number of garbage teams who barely get by, by winning a lousy division out.

But, I try not to get too worked up about it, since Tampa will be one and done, whoever they host in January....

Are you so sure they'll be one and done? They are slated to host my Cowboys in the first round, right now... 

18 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

And that will be Brady's last game.  No doubt this time. He has his fat contract from FOX sports.  His play has diminished to put it very mildly.  He is finished.  Age has caught him. But I have to say he beat the age thing far more than most.  As for one and done if Dallas, YES Walter.  Your Cowboys would beat Tampa easily.  I would even take the Giants over them.  If there were more season left Carolina might catch them.  The Saints have owned them, and I see no reason for that to not continue.  Tampa is going to have a hell of a time scoring on that defense that shut down SF.  If only the Saints had some offense.  

Walter, I know this might sound weird, given the Cowboys history for the last decade--maybe longer--but I do have confidence in your Boys come playoff time.

I'm not betting on Dallas to get to the Championship game, but if they bring their A-game and don't have a colossal meltdown, then yes they can beat Brady in January. And I do realize what I just said about the Cowboys... 😝

Edited by paul carruthers

I am trying to think of another NFL player whose stock and approval ratings has fallen so far and so fast as Russell Wilson. Sure, there were players like Michael Vick and Aaron Hernandez and Ray Rice. But those guys committed actual crimes and weren't exactly well-loved even before their crimes. Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl, nearly won another, and has won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

The closest I can come is Brett Favre, towards the end of his career when people were sick of his drawing out his retirement act. But even that was a gradual turn of the tide against Favre over a period of a few seasons. Russell Wilson's fall has been like a guy going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. A straight drop to purgatory with both players and fans alike. 

Incredible. 

Although redrum has surely been enjoying watching it unfold from the sidelines. :munchies:

11 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I guess undefeated Father Time is really having a ball this year--Wilson, Brady, Rodgers & Matt Ryan, if you want to include him...

Did I leave anyone out... -_-

Ryan and Wilson I never saw coming. I never thought either would be so bad.  And Denver and Indy gave up a ton to get them.  Trades they lost big time.  Rodgers still can play at a high level.  Not his fault Green Bay can stop anyone. Brady is really showing his age.  He should have stayed retired. Like many before him, he just did not know the best time to walk away.  .Joe Namath, Montana (even though Joe did make it to the title game), are two classic examples.  Your boys have 3 straight games on the  road Paul.  I did not realize they did that?  Its due to the 17 game schedule because under the old schedule they never made a team play 3 in a row on the road.  Have fun.  At SF, at a desperate Chargers team and then snowy Buffalo where we will be waiting for ya bitch's

^^ Of those 3 road games, the one that scares me the most is this Sunday against the Niners. They definitely have the look of a team that will seemingly come out of nowhere & win the NFC.

The Chargers are perennial underachievers, so I'm not really sweating them. I don't know how cold Buffalo is supposed to be on the 18th, but we shall be ready....

On 12/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, paul carruthers said:

^^ Of those 3 road games, the one that scares me the most is this Sunday against the Niners. They definitely have the look of a team that will seemingly come out of nowhere & win the NFC.

The Chargers are perennial underachievers, so I'm not really sweating them. I don't know how cold Buffalo is supposed to be on the 18th, but we shall be ready....

And we will be ready too!!!  SF has Samuel is questionable  That is a break if he cannot play.  Still their defense is good.   I guess they had a ton of injuries early on.  Have gotten some guys back.   Its a real challenge going in there.  Then when you do come to Buffalo, its a third game on the road.  And in a cold weather stadium and that combination usually spells doom for a warm weather team coming in on a third straight road game.  We get the Jets next and have unfinished business with Marble head.  They are in Minnesota today.  Hoping the Vikings show up. Also hoping the Bengals can beat KC.  KC likely had that game circled.  Cincy is playing well and gives them a ton of trouble dow

You know, I am sure Miami is now sold on Tua?  But do you really think he is the best bet moving forward?  He has played well but if a better option comes up given all the draft pics they have, I would take a shot and give him competition.  Im not sold on him yet. And I am certainly not sold on Wilson in NY.  Hope I got that name right?  Zach?  Mac Jones is average at best.  Belecheck likely realizes now.  i would not want to be at their practice this week.  A thorough beat down again for Billy boy.  Love it.😀  Go 49ers.  I guess.  Go Bengals!  Go Vikings!

once upon a time Colts at Boys would have been a great game.  Unitas or Manning vs Staubach or Morton or Troy.  This game should have been swapped w Bengals game

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Who the hell is the SF QB?  I just learned they carted Jimmy G off?  I can’t get the game.  Never heard of this guy

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Game of the day?  Two of them really.  I could not get the SF?Miami game here.  Was delighted the Bengals overcame a blown first and goal with no points ending the first half and still beat the fat ass Andy Reid and his rabble.  Had to settle for highlights of the Miami game. The score doesn't tell the whole story.  A late turnover TD by the defense made it look more lopsided than it was.  Miami had several turnovers.  But still put up a fight.  Of course with Jimmy G leaving early I was worried about the outcome.  But it was a good outcome for my Bills both in SF and Cincy.   So now Jets come in.  Bills are favored by 9 1/2.  Lots of respect in Vegas.  I don't like laying that many but hopefully they are out to avenge that early game in NY.  I expect the Bills D to  give them hell. Thanks Minnesota by the way.  It was nerve wracking the end of that game.  Like the end of every Vikings game. It was better back in the day when Minnesota played outdoors in the snow.  The days of Joe Kapp

Its way too early to know the weather on Miami's visit but rest assured it will not be like the heat wave of a first game.  I do believe Miami will beat the Chargers.  They lose to McDaniels and his band of stinking Raiders.  Sorry Sean but that guy sucks.  Maybe you guys finally have faith in him?  I wouldn't given the start of the season and how he has you far out of things. Denver, Raiders and SD are all  huge disappointments.  KC is in cruise control as far as the division goes. We need to bury one contender this weekend and send them to a clear path to a WC or nothing. The damn Jets.  Then Miami and then Xmas in Chicago.

You broke Jimmy G's leg and still couldn't beat them.  What did Tua throw in pics?  3?