Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Anyone knows when and at what occasion was this photo??

93432741.jpg

What a beautiful photograph and I've not seen it before. It's almost certainly got something to do with a Prince's Trust Rock Gala charity benefit. The first was held at the Dominon Theare in London on July 21, 1982 however some of these artists did not perform at that event (though many of them did). The room looks as if it may be a recording studio. I would love to get confirmation of the date, location and purpose this image was taken. I do find it very interesting.

What a beautiful photograph and I've not seen it before. It's almost certainly got something to do with a Prince's Trust Rock Gala charity benefit. The first was held at the Dominon Theare in London on July 21, 1982 however some of these artists did not perform at that event (though many of them did). The room looks as if it may be a recording studio. I would love to get confirmation of the date, location and purpose this image was taken. I do find it very interesting.

I noticed that Francis Rossi is standing miles away from his partner in crime :P

I found it very interesting too! That's why I was curious to know its details :)

This is from one of several website I found the'73 US Tour itinerary on (this one is from Worldlingo):

04/05/1973 Fulton County Stadium - Atlanta, GA<LI>05/05/1973 Tampa Stadium - Tampa, FL<LI>07/05/1973 Jacksonville Coliseum - Jacksonville, FL<LI>10/05/1973 Memorial Coliseum - Tuscaloosa, AL<LI>11/05/1973 Kiel Auditorium - St Louis, MO<LI>13/05/1973 Municipal Auditorium - Mobile, AL<LI>14/05/1973 Municipal Auditorium - New Orleans, LA<LI>16/05/1973 Sam Houston Coliseum - Houston, TX<LI>18/05/1973 Memorial Auditorium - Dallas, TX<LI>19/05/1973 Tarrant Country Convention Center - Fort Worth, TX<LI>22/05/1973 Hemisphere Arena - San Antonio, TX<LI>23/05/1973 University Arena - Albuquerque, NM<LI>25/05/1973 Denver Coliseum - Denver, CO<LI>26/05/1973 Salt Palace - Salt Lake City, UT<LI>28/05/1973 San Diego Sports Arena - San Diego, CA<LI>30/05/1973 The Forum - Inglewood, CA (show postponed after Page sprained his finger. New date arranged for June 3)<LI>31/05/1973 The Forum - Inglewood, CA<LI>02/06/1973 Kezar Stadium - San Francisco, CA<LI>03/06/1973 The Forum - Inglewood, CA<LI>06/07/1973 Chicago Stadium - Chicago, IL<LI>07/07/1973 Chicago Stadium - Chicago, IL<LI>08/07/1973 Market Square Arena - Indianapolis, IN<LI>09/07/1973 Civic Center - St Paul, MN<LI>10/07/1973 Milwaukee Arena - Milwaukee, WI<LI>12/07/1973 Cobo Hall - Detroit, MI<LI>13/07/1973 Cobo Hall - Detroit, MI<LI>15/07/1973 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium - Buffalo, NY<LI>17/07/1973 Seattle Center Coliseum - Seattle, WA<LI>18/07/1973 Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC<LI>19/07/1973 The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA<LI>20/07/1973 Boston Garden - Boston, MA<LI>21/07/1973 Civic Center - Providence, RI<LI>23/07/1973 Civic Center - Baltimore, MD<LI>24/07/1973 Three Rivers Stadium - Pittsburgh, PA<LI>27/07/1973 Madison Square Garden - New York, NY (The Song Remains the Same film and soundtrack album)<LI>28/07/1973 Madison Square Garden - New York, NY (The Song Remains the Same film and soundtrack album)<LI>29/07/1973 Madison Square Garden - New York, NY (The Song Remains the Same film and soundtrack album)

Edited by Wolfman

Onstage Australia Feb '72 / Offstage Mar '72 film clips recently discovered & released

Seeking assistance in pin-pointing which Australian '72 gig is featured in this clip as well as any of the landmarks or locations in the Bombay '72 clips.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wl6wqtI1T_Q

I have already determined the offstage India clips date from March '72, almost certainly during the first week of the month as they were still at the Park Royal Motel in Brisbane as of 2/29/72. The EMI studio where Page & Plant recorded 'Friends' as well as the Slipped Disc discotheque around the corner where they went with Cole (and allegedly performed 'Whole Lotta Love') were located in Colaba (Southern Bombay) and these maps suggest it was there (Colaba) at least some of the video clips may have been filmed:

Mumbai_and_vicinity_USEN.gif

colaba.jpg

Note: On Feb 14, 1972 the group had diverted into Bombay aboard an Air India airliner after immigration officials in Singapore refused to grant entry unless they cut their hair. However, they checked into the White Sands Motel in Scarborough (Perth) Australia by that evening and besides Jimmy was not clean shaven until part way through the Australian tour.

Courtsey...

Hi,

Most of the Bombay video has been shot in the Mahim/Bandra area; specifically Mahim causeway where the fishermen boats used to be parked in those days. The Masjid is the Jamat-E-Ulema Masjid in Bandra. It still looks the same. The boats are no more and the new Worli-Bandra Sealink bridge is now right across the bay. Page and Plant would have been looking at it from the beachfront if it was now!

Nandu Bhende

Regards,

Nandoo Bhende | Director | InSync Studios Pvt. Ltd

Slip Disc'72

I will double confirm above locations and additional important points of interests,,,

1. Zep are arriving under the Huge Billboard seen in distance,ultimate Classic Film Hare Rama Hare Krishna, depicting Screen Legends Of Film Industry

2. Robert Plant also is filming or has camera as I can see it...

3. Driver Razark mentioned by Cole I believe is also in taxi/cab

Edited by PlanetPage

Courtsey...

Hi,

Most of the Bombay video has been shot in the Mahim/Bandra area; specifically Mahim causeway where the fishermen boats used to be parked in those days. The Masjid is the Jamat-E-Ulema Masjid in Bandra. It still looks the same. The boats are no more and the new Worli-Bandra Sealink bridge is now right across the bay. Page and Plant would have been looking at it from the beachfront if it was now!

Nandu Bhende

Regards,

Nandoo Bhende | Director | InSync Studios Pvt. Ltd

Slip Disc'72

I will double confirm above locations and additional important points of interests,,,

1. Zep are arriving under the Huge Billboard seen in distance,ultimate Classic Film Hare Rama Hare Krishna, depicting Screen Legends Of Film Industry

2. Robert Plant also is filming or has camera as I can see it...

3. Driver Razark mentioned by Cole I believe is also in taxi/cab

Outstanding post Planet Page!

According to gettyimages:

a Group Shot at Air Studios, Oxford Street, London at the launch of a double LP 'The Prince's Trust Collection' on November 19th 1985 (Photo by Brian Cooke/Redferns)

It's lovely ( I love them both) - but I meant there was a clip of the reception at Air Studios shown on the news. I remember my mate and I laughing as Robert had been wearing the same jacket when we saw him the previous month.

Knebby, do you mean two months prior - Birminghan NEC Sep 8th, Wembley Arena Sep 9th - or was it in fact some private or public appearance in October '85? I'm curious as the only entry I have on file for Robert in Oct '85 is he

issued a press statement on Oct 15th that everybody who was in his band was out.

Glicine, thank you for the confirmation details on the photograph. I'm always amazed to learn of these more obscure public appearances and hopefully the news coverage will resurface in time.

Edited by SteveAJones

Speaking of Air Studios, my notes show final mixing of Robert's 'Shaken n Stirred' album was done there on an SSL console and two Studer A800 24-tracks combined. I believe this was circa March 1985 but have been unable to

confirm the specific dates the studio was booked.

While there he also granted an interview to Piergiorgio Brunelli published in the April 1-15 '85 issue of 'Soundcheck!', a UK music magazine. I show the album was released May 15th.

Knebby, do you mean two months prior - Birminghan NEC Sep 8th, Wembley Arean Sep 9th - or was it in fact some private or public appearance in October '85? I'm curious as the only entry I have on file for Robert in Oct '85 is he

issued a press statement on Oct 15th that everybody who was in his band was out.

Glicine, thank you for the confirmation details on the photograph. I'm always amazed to learn of these more obscure public appearances and hopefully the news coverage will resurface in time.

Although we were at the date you mentioned, I meant a non-public event in October Steve. :)

Hey Steve. When and what were the circumstances of the whole fall out between Robert and Jonesy. I know Robert said something to JPJ about getting the limo. Details please.

P.S. Did they ever make up?

Thart makes me happy. :)

Although we were at the date you mentioned, I meant a non-public event in October Steve. smile.gif

What a tantalizing response. wink.gif Since we're discussing '84/'85, there was a Stray Cats gig Robert attended with Carmen sometime between late '84 thru May '85. Did you happen to attend also or recall this happening? My pursuit of confirmed

venue and date details has proven futile. He rated Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats very highly as you know and dropped

their names during at least one interview during that time.

What a tantalizing response. wink.gif Since we're discussing '84/'85, there was a Stray Cats gig Robert attended with Carmen sometime between late '84 thru May '85. Did you happen to attend also or recall this happening? My pursuit of confirmed

venue and date details has proven futile. He rated Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats very highly as you know and dropped

their names during at least one interview during that time.

PM on way ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, on the Led Zeppelin.org site in the this month in led Zeppelin history section it states "July 1979 - Led Zeppelin film their rehearsal at Bray Studios". Is this true or just a mistake on their behalf.

I believe that site is merely reciting something that was published in one of Dave Lewis' books so I shall inquire with him as to if I recall correctly and if it is true. It would be very uncharacteristic for them to have filmed those rehearsals but it's possible, though I've never seen anything beside this particular passage to suggest they did.

I believe that site is merely reciting something that was published in one of Dave Lewis' books so I shall inquire with him as to if I recall correctly and if it is true. It would be very uncharacteristic for them to have filmed those rehearsals but it's possible, though I've never seen anything beside this particular passage to suggest they did.

Check Celebration II.

Did I stump you Steve on my 1973 Spectrum question? Could history have been made.biggrin.gif

I don't have anything conclusive at the moment to substantiate why they did not perform in Philadelphia on that date. I have suggested I don't think it would have been possible to tear everything down, truck or fly it across the continental U.S. and set it up in Philly within 24 hours. If I had to guess I'd say Philly was scratched out in favor of Vancouver. I don't know if tickets for Philly ever went on sale. Ally might know when the Vancouver gig was announced and Frank Smith might know if Philly was ever announced. I haven't given up on your question.

Edited to add: Ally said tickets for Vancouver were announced and on sale about a month in advance. This suggests Philadelphia, if it did make the final cut for the tour itinerary, was dropped in favor of Vancouver and tickets never went on sale.

Edited by SteveAJones

I don't have anything conclusive at the moment to substantiate why they did not perform in Philadelphia on that date. I have suggested I don't think it would have been possible to tear everything down, truck or fly it across the continental U.S. and set it up in Philly within 24 hours. If I had to guess I'd say Philly was scratched out in favor of Vancouver. I don't know if tickets for Philly ever went on sale. Ally might know when the Vancouver gig was announced and Frank Smith might know if Philly was ever announced. I haven't given up on your question.

Again Steve, you the man!