Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I am wondering why Jimmy and Robert didn't charter a private plane while on tour. It would have given them privacy, get them in and out of airports quickly and Jimmy could indulge as he pleased without having to resort to smoking on the toilet. Did they fly commercial for both tours?

I am wondering why Jimmy and Robert didn't charter a private plane while on tour. It would have given them privacy, get them in and out of airports quickly and Jimmy could indulge as he pleased without having to resort to smoking on the toilet. Did they fly commercial for both tours?

According to my notes they were nearly always flown commercial while touring from '95-98. They did rent a Gulfstream G4 private jet for round trip travel from Miami to Jacksonville (concert) on May 23, 1998. If manager Bill Curbishley grants another interview this may be a good question for him.

This previously undocumented Robert Plant public appearance has been reported via email by PhxHorn:

Here's one for you that I bet you don't know; another of my favorite artists is the late Maynard Ferguson, a jazz/rock trumpet player. One of his former bandmembers, Steve Wiest (currently jazz director at Univ of N Texas) just posted this on Facebook:

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Robert Plant WAY back in the day in San Francisco when he had put the band "The Honey Drippers" together. The band had come out to our Maynard concert at The Great American Music Hall. We were all SO psyched to have them in the audience! I ran right up to hang with him afterwards and he could not have been

more gracious, humble and classy. What a treat! Seems there was a horn section in the Honey Drippers and they told Robert that he needed to check out the band. They did!

I checked Maynard's tour dates against Robert's, and they were both in SF in June of '85. MF played June 12 and 13, and Robert was at the Cow Palace on the 14th and 15th. So it was likely on June 12 or 13, 1985 that Robert was in attendance at the Maynard show at the urging of the Uptown Horns.

This previously undocumented Robert Plant public appearance has been reported via email by PhxHorn:

Here's one for you that I bet you don't know; another of my favorite artists is the late Maynard Ferguson, a jazz/rock trumpet player. One of his former bandmembers, Steve Wiest (currently jazz director at Univ of N Texas) just posted this on Facebook:

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Robert Plant WAY back in the day in San Francisco when he had put the band "The Honey Drippers" together. The band had come out to our Maynard concert at The Great American Music Hall. We were all SO psyched to have them in the audience! I ran right up to hang with him afterwards and he could not have been

more gracious, humble and classy. What a treat! Seems there was a horn section in the Honey Drippers and they told Robert that he needed to check out the band. They did!

I checked Maynard's tour dates against Robert's, and they were both in SF in June of '85. MF played June 12 and 13, and Robert was at the Cow Palace on the 14th and 15th. So it was likely on June 12 or 13, 1985 that Robert was in attendance at the Maynard show at the urging of the Uptown Horns.

I read somewhere that some, if not all, of the horn section that Robert used were part of Bette Midlers horn section. I am correct or wrong about this?

This certainly puzzles me as I was around and all the band went to see Paul Young on 13th - and weren't at a gig on 12th.

This certainly puzzles me as I was around and all the band went to see Paul Young on 13th - and weren't at a gig on 12th.

:huh:

I believe they were flown from Seattle to San Francisco on the 12th. I can understand why Steve Wiest would distinctly recall Robert having attended Maynard Ferguson's gig...is it possible he did but you simply don't remember?

They flew from Washington in their private jet immediately after the Tacoma gig on 11th and we all went out in San Fran to see a blues musician at a local bar, his name escapes me but it will come back. 12th and 13th were nights off , not much happened on 12th but they all went to the Paul Young gig on 13th. The only thing I can think may have happened is that they went to this other gig after the Paul Young one? I don't recall hearing about it but it's possible.

They flew from Washington in their private jet immediately after the Tacoma gig on 11th and we all went out in San Fran to see a blues musician at a local bar, his name escapes me but it will come back. 12th and 13th were nights off , not much happened on 12th but they all went to the Paul Young gig on 13th. The only thing I can think may have happened is that they went to this other gig after the Paul Young one? I don't recall hearing about it but it's possible.

Many thanks as always. I intend to look into this further; perhaps we'll come to find with certainty that it's just as you suggest.

Steve, I don't know if this is a mystery or not but it sort of is to me.

What was taken from Jimmy's archive in the 80's? I know the 1980 boards were, but what else was stolen? Were/are all of the board tapes in Page's possession?

The full extent of the theft may never be known. Clearly, the 1980 soundboards and, according to Jimmy, demo material for his first solo album. As I understand it the solo material that was stolen was merely rough instrumental sketches, not completed songs as such. I do have one outtake, titled Judas Touch, that is complete with vocals but I don't believe it was among the material that was stolen, rather it seems it was deliberately left off of the album.

So far as I know the original recordings were never returned to him, however a reputable collector in the UK Led Zeppelin community who had copies of most (if not all) of the stolen tapes (but was NOT involved in the theft) was ultimately contacted and, in May 1999, invited down to Abbey Road studios for a weekend (with said tapes) so that Jimmy could make copies of the stolen recordings for his archive. It's my understanding Jimmy was extremely kind and generous to the collector and their spouse for the assistance.

Many thanks as always. I intend to look into this further; perhaps we'll come to find with certainty that it's just as you suggest.

No worries Steve. I can't chase the thought that the musician we saw was Big Joe Turner. I know he died in Nov of 1985. I'd love to have a better memory!

The full extent of the theft may never be known. Clearly, the 1980 soundboards and, according to Jimmy, demo material for his first solo album. As I understand it the solo material that was stolen was merely rough instrumental sketches, not completed songs as such. I do have one outtake, titled Judas Touch, that is complete with vocals but I don't believe it was among the material that was stolen, rather it seems it was deliberately left off of the album.

So far as I know the original recordings were never returned to him, however a reputable collector in the UK Led Zeppelin community who had copies of most (if not all) of the stolen tapes (but was NOT involved in the theft) was ultimately contacted and, in May 1999, invited down to Abbey Road studios for a weekend (with said tapes) so that Jimmy could make copies of the stolen recordings for his archive. It's my understanding Jimmy was extremely kind and generous to the collector and their spouse for the assistance.

Thanks for answering Steve! Jimmy seems to be very open about bootlegs.

Edited by ledzepfilm

Was it ever mentioned if any equipment ( i.e. guitars, amps, etc.) were taken?

2012? Any more information on when he went to the bootleg store last year?

Jimmy's flight landed at Narita International Airport the morning of Monday, October 15th 2012. He was in town to promote the recent Celebration Day release. He and Ross checked into their hotel and then spent that afternoon in the bootleg district before going to Jimmy Sakurai's gig that evening. I've posted many photos of them from that day in this thread:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18528-jimmy-page-celebration-day-tokyo/