Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

It has been said that Bonham was working to overcome, just prior to his untimely passing, his use of heroin.

Do we know if this began after the Euro trek in '80?

Medication has been alluded to in helping with withdrawal, has this been substantiated?

What or who indicated that Bonzo was in fact trying to stop using heroin?

Not trying to put this subject under a microscope, rather just interested in the man's state of mind around this time.

It has been said that Bonham was working to overcome, just prior to his untimely passing, his use of heroin.

Do we know if this began after the Euro trek in '80?

Medication has been alluded to in helping with withdrawal, has this been substantiated?

What or who indicated that Bonzo was in fact trying to stop using heroin?

Not trying to put this subject under a microscope, rather just interested in the man's state of mind around this time.

John spent those two and half months between the last European gig and the first North American tour rehearsal privately with his family. To this day I know of no confirmed public appearances during that time.

John spent those two and half months between the last European gig and the first North American tour rehearsal privately with his family. To this day I know of no confirmed public appearances during that time.

Am I wrong or did this very brief interview take place after the "Over Europe" tour and before John Bonham's untimely death? If so, I would consider this a public appearance.

Edited by kingzoso

Have any of the members ever spoken publicly about Bonham's health in 1980 or his drug abuse problems?

Only in generalities...homesickness, a lack of confidence, etc.

Am I wrong or did this very brief interview take place after the "Over Europe" tour and before John Bonham's untimely death? If so, I would consider this a public appearance.

^^^

This appearance on the Alright Now television program was recorded March 4th 1980 at the Tyne Tees Studio in Newcastle.

There are a few minutes more, but it was a very brief interview. It was only a short show and there were also two live bands on it.

Thanks! Have you seen the extra footage? Is it out there somewhere?

Edited by kingzoso

I still have it on a betamax tape somewhere but haven't seen it for years. But I was in the studio audience that night and remember it very clearly :)

According to Billy Connolly (who hosted the program) after the recording he and Bonzo went to dinner at a place that served rabbit pie, and while there Bonzo started shouting, bawling and breaking things before napping on a chaise lounge (!). Would you or anyone in Newcastle happen to know which restaurant? Does anyone know if Bonzo returned to the Midlands that night? Though the television recording went very well, it seems it was a long day for him.

Edited by SteveAJones

According to Billy Connolly (who hosted the program) after the recording he and Bonzo went to dinner at a place that served rabbit pie, and while there Bonzo started shouting, bawling and breaking things before napping on a chaise lounge (!). Would you or anyone in Newcastle happen to know which restaurant? Does anyone know if Bonzo returned to the Midlands that night? Though the television recording went very well, it seems it was a long day for him.

I am only aware of what Billy alludes to in Dave's book. I have never seen any further details. Likely that Billy left him be and Rex came to pick him up and return him home.

Steve, I'm sorry for asking this because I know you spoke about this before. I tried a search to no avail. Here's a two-parter:

1. I know they got back together for the jazz fest in 2001, but what was the real reason for the Page/Plant breakup in 1998? Was it truly Robert no longer wanting to play in big arenas or was there something more to it?

2. Also, any dirt on why the Page/ Black Crowes partnership fell apart? I remember having great seats in Irvine and then the show was cancelled due to Jimmy "really hurting his back bad". After that, there were radio reports of him being seen in clubs in LA looking fine and even worse, two nights later, I watched him jam on Jay Leno with the Crowes and he's dancing around (aka the back was fine). The shows were never rescheduled either. What was up with this breakup?

Thanks!

Steve, I'm sorry for asking this because I know you spoke about this before. I tried a search to no avail. Here's a two-parter:

1. I know they got back together for the jazz fest in 2001, but what was the real reason for the Page/Plant breakup in 1998? Was it truly Robert no longer wanting to play in big arenas or was there something more to it?

2. Also, any dirt on why the Page/ Black Crowes partnership fell apart? I remember having great seats in Irvine and then the show was cancelled due to Jimmy "really hurting his back bad". After that, there were radio reports of him being seen in clubs in LA looking fine and even worse, two nights later, I watched him jam on Jay Leno with the Crowes and he's dancing around (aka the back was fine). The shows were never rescheduled either. What was up with this breakup?

Thanks!

Question 1: In Spring 1999 Robert himself said it was because "there are only so many Spring times". Many were somewhat baffled by what he was inferring at the time but I have since come to find that the late actor Michael Landon once expressed similar sentiment thusly: "Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows". So it seems it is a well-worn phrase but nonetheless applicable.

Question 2: I've posted extensively on this topic to this forum in the past. I'll see if I can find a link to those posts.

Edited to add: Refer to post #2049 & #2051 to this thread. The Irvine concert you held tickets for was scheduled for August 15, the day after the Tonight show taping. I believe the postponement was announced the morning of August 15th, if not the day prior. I'd like to know for certain as it would firm up when his injury was made known (recollections may vary). I do know for certain postponement of all remaining dates was reported in the press on August 16, 2000.

Edited by SteveAJones

I am only aware of what Billy alludes to in Dave's book. I have never seen any further details. Likely that Billy left him be and Rex came to pick him up and return him home.

Rex was with him the whole time. SAJ, you are right about what you heard/read. Some of the TTTV staff have great stories about the evening, I am pretty sure I remember the restaurant but will check with a pal before I post it. Sadly, I don't know any "old groupies from Newcastle" to substantiate anything, but I do know people who were there.

The image of the air raid warden looking skyward on the Over Europe 1980 tour poster also was lifted from a magazine.

Just to clarify, the image shows a brave volunteer member of the Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS). AFS was active from 1938-1941.

AirRaidWarden.jpg

Picture Post (1938 or 1939) (UK)

LedZeppelinTourOverEurope1980-frame.jpg

Now here's a bit o' mystery most have never known until now: Jimmy said he formed the idea of using a theramin in the 60s after seeing one used in the film 'Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein'.

Edit: I'm going to purchase this film and review it over weekend. I'd been meaning to get it anyway, as I find all of Universal's classic monsters intriguing (hello, Wolfman!)

Just read this. LOL!!!

P.S. My only follow up with the Crowes question is that I guess it was complete BS with the rumors that both of Chris and Jimmy's egos were getting in the way? I remember someone telling me that they didn't want their dressing rooms near each other because it was getting heated between them.

P.S.S. Btw, awesome to read to some old posts Steve. I'm blown away by some of the Zep artifacts you have come along with.

Edited by Wolfman

When did Jimmy Page acquire the 195x Gibson Les Paul Standard, dubbed 'Number One'?

What is known now is that it was purchased by Page from Joe Walsh for £500 in roughly late April or early May in 1969.

lz19690502_03.jpg

Here is Page with Number One on May 2 or 3, 1969 at the Rose Palace in Pasadena, CA. I've heard that there is a picture of him with Number One in San Francisco a few days earlier, but I don't have access to that right now.

So, you think, Joe Walsh came up to Page in San Francisco and said, "Hey, I've got a guitar I want to sell. Would you like to buy it?" Just wait...

According to http://home.comcast.net/~gv0000/James_Gang_Gig_List_2.pdf, Walsh was with his regional band James Gang, performing in Ohio and Michigan on the dates that Page was in California performing with Led Zeppelin.

The closest to Ohio and Michigan that Page got was either January 1969 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit or mid-May 1969 back at the Grande and in Ohio on separate dates. I don't suspect that at that point in either of their careers, Page or Walsh would have flown to the other or met somewhere mutual to arrange the sale.

James Gang's first studio album Yer' Album was on March 29, 1969. Yer' Album was produced by Bill Szymczyk (who later worked with The Eagles, etc.). At the time, Szymczyk was based out of ABC Records out of Los Angeles.

Although the rest of this post is conjecture, it is very plausible.

Walsh had 5 days in-between gigs (April 27 - May 1). Perhaps he flew to LA to do promotional work for the new album or had business meetings with Szymczyk. I don't know of any business dealings that Szymczyk had with Page or with Peter Grant, so it's hard to say when on what date Number One got sold.

Does anyone else have any information to contribute towards this?

P.S. My only follow up with the Crowes question is that I guess it was complete BS with the rumors that both of Chris and Jimmy's egos were getting in the way? I remember someone telling me that they didn't want their dressing rooms near each other because it was getting heated between them.

Somewhere online I've posted extensive details regarding the dissolution of this tour. The bottom line is Jimmy hurt his back. If there was a personality conflict of this magnitude they could have much more easily pulled the plug during the roughly six week mid-tour break they had just come out of. Additionally, I know for a fact the insurance underwriters were looking for any evidence of a fradulent claim, consequently Jimmy had to refrain from any public performances for at least six months. Jimmy underwent rehabilitative therapy for the injury upon return to England and it continued for a few months after he and Jimena relocated to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the year. (Nothing said in confidence has been divulged here!)

Steve, could you refresh our pickled memories (mine) on how it happened that Page joined Plant at Knebworth, on June 30, 1990, for the encores of "Wearing and Tearing" and "Rock and Roll?"

I just watched W and T for the 1000th time, and I gotta say Jimmy looks to me, to be in a good frame physically and mentally.

Any idea on how much rehearsal time they put in and where it was held?

When did Jimmy Page acquire the 195x Gibson Les Paul Standard, dubbed 'Number One'?

What is known now is that it was purchased by Page from Joe Walsh for £500 in roughly late April or early May in 1969.

lz19690502_03.jpg

Here is Page with Number One on May 2 or 3, 1969 at the Rose Palace in Pasadena, CA. I've heard that there is a picture of him with Number One in San Francisco a few days earlier, but I don't have access to that right now.

So, you think, Joe Walsh came up to Page in San Francisco and said, "Hey, I've got a guitar I want to sell. Would you like to buy it?" Just wait...

According to http://home.comcast.net/~gv0000/James_Gang_Gig_List_2.pdf, Walsh was with his regional band James Gang, performing in Ohio and Michigan on the dates that Page was in California performing with Led Zeppelin.

The closest to Ohio and Michigan that Page got was either January 1969 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit or mid-May 1969 back at the Grande and in Ohio on separate dates. I don't suspect that at that point in either of their careers, Page or Walsh would have flown to the other or met somewhere mutual to arrange the sale.

James Gang's first studio album Yer' Album was on March 29, 1969. Yer' Album was produced by Bill Szymczyk (who later worked with The Eagles, etc.). At the time, Szymczyk was based out of ABC Records out of Los Angeles.

Although the rest of this post is conjecture, it is very plausible.

Walsh had 5 days in-between gigs (April 27 - May 1). Perhaps he flew to LA to do promotional work for the new album or had business meetings with Szymczyk. I don't know of any business dealings that Szymczyk had with Page or with Peter Grant, so it's hard to say when on what date Number One got sold.

Does anyone else have any information to contribute towards this?

This from Joe Walsh:

Well, when Led Zeppelin’s first album came out and was just starting to get airplay, Jimmy was really known predominately for the Yardbirds. But when Led Zeppelin came over to tour, the James Gang opened for them on five or six shows. It was a kind of a hard sell because the only thing anybody knew was the Yardbirds, and that Jimmy now had a new band. I got to know him better during those shows, and he told me he was kind of tired of playing Telecasters and stuff, and was looking for a Les Paul. In those days, Les Pauls weren’t god awful expensive, they were just kind of hard to find. You had to go into the basements of music stores and pawn shops. I happened to have two, and one I liked better than the other, so I kept my best one and gave him the other, which had a slightly smaller neck.

Q: What did you get for it?

I don’t know, 1,500 bucks or something, and I had to fly to New York with it to give it to him, so that was kind of expensive. Anyway, he liked it a lot, and it became, I guess, the one he played on a lot of Led Zeppelin’s music. His number one. Turns out it was a good idea to get him one (laughs)!

Steve, could you refresh our pickled memories (mine) on how it happened that Page joined Plant at Knebworth, on June 30, 1990, for the encores of "Wearing and Tearing" and "Rock and Roll?" I just watched W and T for the 1000th time, and I gotta say Jimmy looks to me, to be in a good frame physically and mentally. Any idea on how much rehearsal time they put in and where it was held?

According to my notes Jimmy and Robert met in England to converse at the end of May 1990, about two weeks after Jimmy had completed remastering for the Led Zeppelin boxed set with George Marino in New York. Throughout the month of June it was publicly known Jimmy would be joining Robert at Knebworth '90 and that the concert, held June 30th 1990, would air live on Westwood One as well as be professionally recorded for an official album and an MTV telecast.

Jimmy rehearsed with Robert and his band the day prior to the concert at the concert site. They definitely rehearsed 'Wearing And Tearing' and probably the other two songs they performed together during the concert, 'Misty Mountain Hop' and 'Rock And Roll'. However, among these three songs only 'Wearing And Tearing' appears on the album, as well as some of the songs Robert performed without Jimmy onstage. I believe the live FM radio simulcast and MTV telecast included all three songs they performed together.

-------------

This from Dave Dee on behalf of Nordoff-Robbins Charities:

A concert in aid of the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Centre and the Brit School of Performing Arts.

The planning for this concert started in September 1988 our target being the £3 million necessary to build a much needed new Centre for Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy. So what, I hear you ask, is Music Therapy? In short, it is a way of communicating with, developing and enhancing the lives of mentally, physically and authistically handicapped children, through music.

Having settled on the idea of a fund-raising concert the next step was to approach artists who could attract the size of audience needed to raise this enormous sum of money. The perfect answer was on our doorstep - for the last 15 years Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy have presented the Silver Cleff Award to artists for their outstanding services to the British Music Industry. So we asked them all!

The date of the concert had been set for June 30th 1990 and all the Silver Clef Award Winners that were available on that date immediately agreed to perform, willingly giving their services to support Music Therapy.

The concert sold out instantly and it became evident that our target would be exceeded. To greatfully acknowledge the support that Nordoff-Robbins has received from the music industry it was agreed that the proceeds would be shared with a new venture - The Brit School for Performing Arts - currently (1990) being established by the British Phonographic Industry.

And so to the day itself - as host for the concert, I represented Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy. Onstage, I was overwhelmed by the size, the appreciation and the sheer good humour of the huge audience. Offstage, I was equally impressed by the professionalism and good will of the artists and their crews.

A magnificent show, a terrific day - one of the best of my life.

This from Joe Walsh:

Well, when Led Zeppelin’s first album came out and was just starting to get airplay, Jimmy was really known predominately for the Yardbirds. But when Led Zeppelin came over to tour, the James Gang opened for them on five or six shows. It was a kind of a hard sell because the only thing anybody knew was the Yardbirds, and that Jimmy now had a new band. I got to know him better during those shows, and he told me he was kind of tired of playing Telecasters and stuff, and was looking for a Les Paul. In those days, Les Pauls weren’t god awful expensive, they were just kind of hard to find. You had to go into the basements of music stores and pawn shops. I happened to have two, and one I liked better than the other, so I kept my best one and gave him the other, which had a slightly smaller neck.

Q: What did you get for it?

I don’t know, 1,500 bucks or something, and I had to fly to New York with it to give it to him, so that was kind of expensive. Anyway, he liked it a lot, and it became, I guess, the one he played on a lot of Led Zeppelin’s music. His number one. Turns out it was a good idea to get him one (laughs)!

So, what day did Jimmy fly into New York? That April 18 date at NYC Hall Park didn't happen. I assume NYC was the point of entry into the US.

FWIW, The James Gang are not known to have opened for Zep prior to Jimmy acquiring the guitar.

However, they did open for The Yardbirds in Ohio in 1968.

Based on the James Gang concert list, it seems like Walsh must have flown to New York on either April 18th (in which case he would have had to leave immediately to play a gig on the 19th), or he flew to New York on the 20th.

edit: I suppose it's possible that Walsh actually sold the guitar to Jimmy at a much earlier date. Maybe Jimmy met with Joe while they were both in Michigan on January 16th, and then Joe flew to New York on January 30th?

Edited by swandown