Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Wonder why he didn't? Maybe they had some dirt on him or something. Interesting how he went after that one bootlegger but not the people who got the material out there.

He didn't go after Robert Langley, rather he was summoned to testify against him and he did mention the theft during his testimony. I believe I have posted a transcript of Jimmy's testimony to this forum. If I haven't I will. With regard to the theft, he may have gone to the Thames Valley Police but the case may well have been dropped for lack of evidence. On the other hand, given Jimmy's drug charges at the time the Thames Valley Police may have been the last place he wanted to go for assistance with a civil matter.

I don't really think is a topic for discussion on a fan forum (not your fault SAJ) but yes he is. Feel free to PM me if you wish Steve. I dunno whether Sam may want to clean up this thread? I'm not sure what the stance is on this topic these days.

I don't really think is a topic for discussion on a fan forum (not your fault SAJ) but yes he is. Feel free to PM me if you wish Steve. I dunno whether Sam may want to clean up this thread? I'm not sure what the stance is on this topic these days.

Thank you for the clarification. It seems some public discussion of Jesse Lee became more acceptable once Robert mentioned him and his band, Aura, in media interviews. Regardless, your point is well taken and so I have nothing further to add here.

Edited by SteveAJones

I have an off the wall question: Jimmy mentions that he was a vegetarian on his OTD for today. Does anyone know why and for how long?

Unsure why he chose to be vegetarian while touring with The Yardbirds, but it sounds like he'd become a fussy eater. He was off solids altogether for the first leg of the '77 North American tour, running everything thru a blender he had in his room. Heroin withdrawal is often accompanied by abdominal pain.

Unsure why he chose to be vegetarian while touring with The Yardbirds, but it sounds like he'd become a fussy eater. He was off solids altogether for the first leg of the '77 North American tour, running everything thru a blender he had in his room. Heroin withdrawal is often accompanied by abdominal pain.

Thanks. I was thinking that he might have adopted a vegetarian diet around the time of discovering the land and music of India.

Thanks. I was thinking that he might have adopted a vegetarian diet around the time of discovering the land and music of India.

Possibly, but if so it should be noted his awareness of Indian music (if not culture) preceded his joining The Yardbirds in June 1966. He claims to have owned a sitar before George Harrison, and he asked his father if one of the Indian chaps at his work could show him a few things. He also attended a Ravi Shankar concert (circa early 1960s), after which he met Shankar and Shankar himself wrote down a few sitar tunings for him.

Possibly, but if so it should be noted his awareness of Indian music (if not culture) preceded his joining The Yardbirds in June 1966. He claims to have owned a sitar before George Harrison, and he asked his father if one of the Indian chaps at his work could show him a few things. He also attended a Ravi Shankar concert (circa early 1960s), after which he met Shankar and Shankar himself wrote down a few sitar tunings for him.

Hmmmm...now we have to figure out for how long he was a veg.

Hmmmm...now we have to figure out for how long he was a veg.

It seems it was a phase rather than a life-long discipline. There's a May 31, 1977 interview at The Plaza Hotel in New York with David White of Radio 2SM Australia where he remarks there's "hamburgers on the way" to his suite. There's a press interview from '88 where the writer reports he'd left a bag of burgers beneath his chair, apparently too self concious to eat in front of her.

It seems it was a phase rather than a life-long discipline. There's a May 31, 1977 interview at The Plaza Hotel in New York with David White of Radio 2SM Australia where he remarks there's "hamburgers on the way" to his suite. There's a press interview from '88 where the writer reports he'd left a bag of burgers beneath his chair, apparently too self concious to eat in front of her.

Oh Steve, I meant how long back in the 60's. I know all about going through a "vegetarian phase". I went through one that lasted two years. It was like experimenting with your sexuality in college...it doesn't last long because what you really want in life is meat. :D

Thank you for the clarification. It seems some public discussion of Jesse Lee became more acceptable once Robert mentioned him and his band, Aura, in media interviews. Regardless, your point is well taken and so I have nothing further to add here.

I had read somewhere that Logan Plant was in a band but I didn't realize that Jesse was in a band as well. Has Plant's daughter, Carmen, ever been involved in music?

I had read somewhere that Logan Plant was in a band but I didn't realize that Jesse was in a band as well. Has Plant's daughter, Carmen, ever been involved in music?

Carmen's a dancer. Her daughter is a singer though.

Richard Cole mentioned in "Stairway to Heaven" that Page was a vegetarian during Zep's first few American tours. It was one of the reasons he booked them into accommodations with kitchenettes whenever possible.

This looks like a hamburger. . . I think Pamela Des Barres also made reference to him moaning about "eating hamburger" on tour. So perhaps he'd ceased to be a rigid vegetarian quite early on in the Led Zeppelin period. (It must have been difficult on tour in that period - a lot of places just wouldn't have a vegetarian option on the menu. So perhaps it was a case of being veggie when possible and slipping a bit when not).

a43_zps69320137.jpg

Oh Steve, I meant how long back in the 60's. I know all about going through a "vegetarian phase". I went through one that lasted two years. It was like experimenting with your sexuality in college...it doesn't last long because what you really want in life is meat. :D

:hysterical:

Post of the year right there.

Supposition on my part, but I'd guess he tried to eat healthy when possible while on the road in the early days, but there are those photos of him ordering in a diner(which I seriously doubt offered vegetarian edibles back in the day) and also that photo of him in the studio circa LZII with an Arbie's(for the Brit's, an American roast beef fast food establishment) squirt bottle on the console desk. He obviously wasn't consuming too many calories of any kind around 1977.