Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

In the continuing quest for 1980 photos of the band members taken after 07/07/80, might anyone know the story of this photo of Jonesy and Bonzo, which I believe is the last picture of them together:

http://fuckyeahzeppelin.tumblr.com/image/26579111930

If my memory serves correct that was taken at Polar Studios in Stockholm in November 1978 during the sessions for ITTOD.

I could be mistaken on that, but I'm fairly certain Bonzo & JPJ's paths didn't cross from the time they returned to Europe after the Berlin date on July 8, 1980 to the first rehearsal on September 24, 1980. We know JPJ had gone on holiday with his family.

• Administrators

In the continuing quest for 1980 photos of the band members taken after 07/07/80, might anyone know the story of this photo of Jonesy and Bonzo, which I believe is the last picture of them together:

http://fuckyeahzeppelin.tumblr.com/image/26579111930

I first posted that scan of Bonham & JPJ on the old L-Z site. It's taken during the 1980 European tour & Bonham is wearing a tour shirt like this one:

80tshirt.jpg

It's a great photo of JB but the day of his passing is notched so heavily into my memory that I can't help but view it without feeling a sense of remorse

None come to mind aside from the one of Bonzo that Jason is sharing on the JBLZE tour. It was a period of relative inactivity for the band, with very few confirmed public appearances and no public performances/jams. Jimmy had purchased Tower House from Michael Caine for approx 900,000 GBP and started moving in August. Robert & JPJ took their families on holiday. Bonzo returned home.

Steve,

In Dave Lewis's Feather in the Wind - Over Europe 1980 book, he cites Bonzo having gone on holiday after his phone chat with Dave at the end of July. Did he do his usual South of France trip in August 1980?

scan0005-1.jpg

Runes - Led Zeppelin Fan Club Newsletter, May 1981

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Here's the coloured copy Sally gave me back then-

pk675.jpg

Also - the shirt minutae - clearly a favourite worn on the 1981 Honeydrippers circuit too -

sweaty2.jpg

I believe there are photos of Jimmy taken about one week before the final rehearsal. I have contacted the owner of the pictures however he has declined to provide any at this time. I completely respect the owner and his decision. Who knows, maybe we will see them in the future one day.