Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

SteveAJones, on 27 May 2013 - 19:08, said:

This from Joe Walsh:

Well, when Led Zeppelin’s first album came out and was just starting to get airplay, Jimmy was really known predominately for the Yardbirds. But when Led Zeppelin came over to tour, the James Gang opened for them on five or six shows. It was a kind of a hard sell because the only thing anybody knew was the Yardbirds, and that Jimmy now had a new band. I got to know him better during those shows, and he told me he was kind of tired of playing Telecasters and stuff, and was looking for a Les Paul. In those days, Les Pauls weren’t god awful expensive, they were just kind of hard to find. You had to go into the basements of music stores and pawn shops. I happened to have two, and one I liked better than the other, so I kept my best one and gave him the other, which had a slightly smaller neck.

Q: What did you get for it?

I don’t know, 1,500 bucks or something, and I had to fly to New York with it to give it to him, so that was kind of expensive. Anyway, he liked it a lot, and it became, I guess, the one he played on a lot of Led Zeppelin’s music. His number one. Turns out it was a good idea to get him one (laughs)!

The same basic quote (however, reworded to say the same thing), as posted on lespaulforum.com

“The James Gang opened for Led Zeppelin a couple times right at the end of the Yardbirds when Led Zeppelin was together,” Walsh recounts. “Before their first album really hit, they came over and played shows. It was Jimmy Page’s new band. So I started a friendship with him at that time.

“A little bit after that, when the first album really took off, Jimmy was still playing the Telecasters that he played in the Yardbirds. He was looking for a Les Paul and asked if I knew of any, ’cause he couldn’t find one that he liked. And I had two. So I kept the one I liked the most, and I flew to New York with the other one. I laid it on him and said, ‘Try this out.’ He really liked it. So I gave him a really good deal, about 1,200 bucks. I had to hand-carry it; I flew there and everything.

“So whatever my expenses were, that’s what I charged him. That guitar ended up being a significant part of Led Zeppelin’s body of work. But again, I just thought he should have a Les Paul, for godsakes!”

To whom someone replied that Page said that it was brought to him at the Fillmore shows.

Between recollections from Page and Walsh from 44 years ago, I don't suspect that we will get the 100% truth on this one.

The same basic quote (however, reworded to say the same thing), as posted on lespaulforum.com

To whom someone replied that Page said that it was brought to him at the Fillmore shows.

Between recollections from Page and Walsh from 44 years ago, I don't suspect that we will get the 100% truth on this one.

It's clear to me as well that Walsh's recollections are a bit foggy with regard to a proper timeline as such. However, he does distinctly recall being flown into New York to sell the guitar and we have the photographic evidence of Page using the guitar in San Francisco in late April 1969, which would have been a few days afterward.

This is news to me: Liberace tried to buy the Tower House in 1970 but failed to pay the deposit so Richard Harris snapped it up.

Can you imagine that beautiful and historic house being "Liberaced"? All walls covered in gold and/or mirrors?

Post #3557 of this thread may also be of interest to you; it concerns Auberon Waugh's refusal to return Tower House furnishings "for the private use of a guitarist".

SAJ,

I am quoting post 3557 here for Melanie just to make it straightforward for her to access. There is only one thing, you seem to have credited the article to the Sunday Times in 1976. The article is in fact from the Sunday Express (UK).

This contribution concerns posts #3022 & 3023 of this thread (dated December 19, 2009) and comes courtesy of kenog. This article confirms the origins and motivations behind Auberon Waugh's flat refusal to sell furnishings to Jimmy Page. Ultimately Auberon did offer furnishings at auction, pitting Jimmy against another bidder. I have sought this information for over a decade. I am profoundly grateful for kenog's dedicated independent research efforts.

19760116SundayExpressUK.jpg
Sunday Times, January 16, 1976 (UK)

Post #3557 of this thread may also be of interest to you; it concerns Auberon Waugh's refusal to return Tower House furnishings "for the private use of a guitarist".

SAJ,

I am quoting post 3557 here for Melanie just to make it straightforward for her to access. There is only one thing, you seem to have credited the article to the Sunday Times in 1976. The article is in fact from the Sunday Express (UK).

Checked my database, you are correct...it seems the typo was made only when captioning the article for this thread; thanks!

I have a question (not really a mystery) but what was the exact nature and extent of the episode where Mr. Page was caught smoking a cigarette in the lavatory aboard a flight within the United States of America?

From what I remember and recall reading, Jimmy was supposedly drunk at the time and even dared the officials to take him into custody. If my memory serves me correctly, this happened on a flight either coming or going from Atlanta's Hartsfield airport.

I wonder what they thought of Jim & company...

I took Deborah J's advice/post and looked it up on YouTube. That particular pop festival, on YouTube, does not have the Doors and Zeppelin playing together, unfortunately. If they did jam together, it has not been recorded and displayed. Maybe someone on the board knows if Zeppelin made any comments about the Doors (FireOpal might know). Or, if the Doors commented on Zeppelin. I am curious because I am a Doors fan and this is a mystery to me.

Steve,

Having recently listened to the fantastic Ireland shows kicking off the Spring 1971 Back to the Clubs Tour, it seemed the band really enjoyed themselves. Verified as well it seems, basis Chris Welch's written recap. I got the sense that Zep would have surely gone back to Ireland. How come they never did? They certainly had an opportunity during the UK Tours in Fall '71, Winter '72-'73. I wonder if they ever considered Ireland as well during the aborted tours of '75 and '77, had Robert not endured his personal tragedies, when there were touring plans post Earls Court and post US Tour '77?

Steve,

Having recently listened to the fantastic Ireland shows kicking off the Spring 1971 Back to the Clubs Tour, it seemed the band really enjoyed themselves. Verified as well it seems, basis Chris Welch's written recap. I got the sense that Zep would have surely gone back to Ireland. How come they never did? They certainly had an opportunity during the UK Tours in Fall '71, Winter '72-'73. I wonder if they ever considered Ireland as well during the aborted tours of '75 and '77, had Robert not endured his personal tragedies, when there were touring plans post Earls Court and post US Tour '77?

I know that in the fall of '75 they hoped to tour South America and perhaps a return to Japan.

In the fall of '77 there was some loose talk of returning to the U.K.

As Grant got deeper into alcohol and drugs his motivation to steer the band on tour lessened. This is likely a contributor to the lack of concrete plans in late '75 and '77 as well as the large gaps between shows in the '79 - '80 period.

I took Deborah J's advice/post and looked it up on YouTube. That particular pop festival, on YouTube, does not have the Doors and Zeppelin playing together, unfortunately. If they did jam together, it has not been recorded and displayed. Maybe someone on the board knows if Zeppelin made any comments about the Doors (FireOpal might know). Or, if the Doors commented on Zeppelin. I am curious because I am a Doors fan and this is a mystery to me.

Perhaps he was just referring to them playing at the same festival and not necessarily jamming together.

Maybe someone on the board knows if Zeppelin made any comments about the Doors (FireOpal might know). Or, if the Doors commented on Zeppelin. I am curious because I am a Doors fan and this is a mystery to me.

Hi there. There's a reference to Jim Morrison in the Robert Plant Hot Press interview from 2010 (full text transcribed by me here):

Incidentally, speaking of Morrisons, did you know The Doors' Jim Morrison?

Yeah. He was propagating his own myth. Pretending he knew nothing about the music, and that he was in fact the Lizard King. We played with him a few times. I saw him fall off the stage. He went to seed very easily. A shame, really. I still think of amazing moments that he had. But that was a much more kind of tangential time musically – said the old man with the silvering beard [strokes chin and grins]. There was great music. And there was radio that supported great music. But here's the winnowing of an old man... so I must away.

Thanks so much, Triple Kick. I read the whole interview and it was fantastic. I found what he said about Jim Morrison very on target. Robert Plant, the winnowing old man, is very wise. I would pay a lot of money to get a hold of a live recording of Zep and the Doors playing together. Morrison and Plant on stage together would be out of this world.

IMHO I think that would be a train wreck. You're talking about two massive on-stage front man ego's there. The competition for the spotlight would likely ruin the song.

Thanks so much, Triple Kick. I read the whole interview and it was fantastic. I found what he said about Jim Morrison very on target. Robert Plant, the winnowing old man, is very wise. I would pay a lot of money to get a hold of a live recording of Zep and the Doors playing together. Morrison and Plant on stage together would be out of this world.

As I stated a few posts back, I interpreted that comment to mean that both bands simply played on the same bill or at a festival and not as the musicians in both bands actually jammed together at one time. But,I could be wrong.

That's why I would love to see them together. It might ruin the song, but it sure would be entertaining. :bubble: As Robert said they played with them more than once, so it must not have gone too badly.

If I remember correctly, the late Ray Manzarek hated Zeppelin back in the day. Not sure if his stance changed later on, but I could have sworn he had some really negative things to say about them.

I know that in the fall of '75 they hoped to tour South America and perhaps a return to Japan.

In the fall of '77 there was some loose talk of returning to the U.K.

As Grant got deeper into alcohol and drugs his motivation to steer the band on tour lessened. This is likely a contributor to the lack of concrete plans in late '75 and '77 as well as the large gaps between shows in the '79 - '80 period.

South America and a return to Scandinavia was under consideration for the Fall of '75. I don't recall anything to suggest a return to Japan.

Their lack of concrete plans in late '75 was directly attributable to Robert's auto accident. The gap between shows in '79-'80 may have had more to do with Robert preferring to spend time at home with his family (Logan was born in January 1979) and the general difficulties of a band returning to form after such a relatively lengthy artistic hiatus.

As I stated a few posts back, I interpreted that comment to mean that both bands simply played on the same bill or at a festival and not as the musicians in both bands actually jammed together at one time. But,I could be wrong.

The members of Led Zeppelin and the members of The Doors never performed onstage together.

Steve,

Driving through the Falls Road rioting in '71 probably made an indelible negative impression on them, just as the rioting in Milan '71 ultimately meant they'd never perform in Italy again.