Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Can you provide more details about the story?

I'll look through my stuff in the next day or two.

I know Robert Plant has confirmed this. I believe he went into surgery to remove nodes from his vocal chords. Whether or not it was intended to strengthen his voice or not, I don't know. Plant said it had to be done regardless.

Edited by Amstel

Are you thiking that they did the soundcheck on the 7th but not on the 6th? I don't think so. I think it's pretty much a given that the soundcheck did happen on the 6th, and also I think that it did not happen on the 7th. There was no reason for the band to do another one since they'd done it a day earlier.

Can you provide more details about the story?

Refer to post #3615 of this thread and results using the search forum function on "nodules". There aren't many details known and it was not revealed to the public by Robert for many years after the fact.

Are you thiking that they did the soundcheck on the 7th but not on the 6th? I don't think so. I think it's pretty much a given that the soundcheck did happen on the 6th, and also I think that it did not happen on the 7th. There was no reason for the band to do another one since they'd done it a day earlier.

I take it back mate you're right it definitely is, skip to Communication Breakdown

I haven't heard this show for a while now and forgot how absolutely shot his voice was

Hey Steve. Any information on the battle of John Paul Jones versus John Paul Joans that happened in the early 1970's?

John Paul Joans was a pseudonym for UK comedian John Davidge. Davidge wrote and produced two records - The man from Nazareth and The Miners Song, a charity song song to raise money for miner's dependents during the coal miners strikes in the late 60's early 70's. Apparently the record was banned by the BBC because they felt they would be accused of taking sides. All copies of the record except three where destroyed.

Joans initially released 'The Man from Nazareth' under the the name of John Paul JONES. It was hyped as the #1 Christmas single for 1970 but after it reached only #40 it was taken off the shelves because John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame threatened RAK Records with legal action because Davidge was using his name. All the unsold copies were recalled and the surname on the re-issued single was changed to JOANS. It missed the #1 slot and only reached #25 in the New Year.

John Paul Joans was a pseudonym for UK comedian John Davidge. Davidge wrote and produced two records - The man from Nazareth and The Miners Song, a charity song song to raise money for miner's dependents during the coal miners strikes in the late 60's early 70's. Apparently the record was banned by the BBC because they felt they would be accused of taking sides. All copies of the record except three where destroyed.

Joans initially released 'The Man from Nazareth' under the the name of John Paul JONES. It was hyped as the #1 Christmas single for 1970 but after it reached only #40 it was taken off the shelves because John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame threatened RAK Records with legal action because Davidge was using his name. All the unsold copies were recalled and the surname on the re-issued single was changed to JOANS. It missed the #1 slot and only reached #25 in the New Year.

Cool. Thanks!

Did The Man From Nazareth have lyrics that went something like:

Put your hands in the hand of the man who stilled the waters,

Put your hands in the hand of the man who calmed the sea.

Take a look at yourself and you will look at others differently,

Put your hands in the hand of the man from Galilee.

Did The Man From Nazareth have lyrics that went something like:

Put your hands in the hand of the man who stilled the waters,

Put your hands in the hand of the man who calmed the sea.

Take a look at yourself and you will look at others differently,

Put your hands in the hand of the man from Galilee.

Refer to post #3615 of this thread and results using the search forum function on "nodules". There aren't many details known and it was not revealed to the public by Robert for many years after the fact.

Thanks.

Sorry for asking too many questions, but have you ever come across JPJ talking about James Jamerson?

I don't think there were any pressings that were actually credited to "John Paul Jones". (I've never seen one, at least.)

As far as I know, the original UK 45 was credited to "John Paul Joans", while the original U.S. 45 was credited to "J.P. Jones". That's when Peter Grant stepped in.

The US 45 was then re-issued under the artist name "John". Supposedly, the UK 45 was re-issued under the artist name "John Paul Johns", but I have never seen a copy with that name on it.

Edited by swandown

I don't think there were any pressings that were actually credited to "John Paul Jones". (I've never seen one, at least.)

As far as I know, the original UK 45 was credited to "John Paul Joans", while the original U.S. 45 was credited to "J.P. Jones". That's when Peter Grant stepped in.

The US 45 was then re-issued under the artist name "John". Supposedly, the UK 45 was re-issued under the artist name "John Paul Johns", but I have never seen a copy with that name on it.

Good stuff. I may have contact with someone claiming to own one of the reportedly three surviving original pressings. If legit 'll seek further clarification from them and photographic proof if they claim the label credits "John Paul Jones".

Thanks.

Sorry for asking too many questions, but have you ever come across JPJ talking about James Jamerson?

I definitely recall JPJ commenting that Bonzo enjoyed the Motown sound/artists, but I'll have to see if JPJ himself shared the same affinity for them. Jamerson is certainly one bassist they would both have been aware of.

Good stuff. I may have contact with someone claiming to own one of the reportedly three surviving original pressings. If legit 'll seek further clarification from them and photographic proof if they claim the label credits "John Paul Jones".

Not to brag or fly my own flag, but I do take a little enjoyment when something I asked and posted seems to take on a little life of their own. I will give credit to you Steve for answering my questions that I have recently asked. I asked about the Jimmy Page smoking in the lavatory on a United States domestic flight and, from that, I recall a lot of others replying to the question I originally asked. You wanted to put a STOP to all the replies and inquires about this. I believe you said something along the lines of enough already. Let's move on.

Now I asked a different question about John Paul Jones versus John Paul Joans and it seems to (almost) take on another "life" of its own.

I would like to say that these questions I put forth, I really know the answers to. Maybe not as in depth as you do but I know My Led Zeppelin History. I only ask these questions so that others who may not be in the know, may learn something that will make them better Led Zeppelin fans and appreciate all the History that makes LED ZEPPELIN the greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.

I would like to say that these questions I put forth, I really know the answers to. Maybe not as in depth as you do but I know My Led Zeppelin History. I only ask these questions so that others who may not be in the know, may learn something that will make them better Led Zeppelin fans and appreciate all the History that makes LED ZEPPELIN the greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.

I figured as much but I take the time to answer for the same reason.

I definitely recall JPJ commenting that Bonzo enjoyed the Motown sound/artists, but I'll have to see if JPJ himself shared the same affinity for them. Jamerson is certainly one bassist they would both have been aware of.

The reason I'm asking this is that JPJ sounds very Jamerson-influenced to me. Maybe you recall an interview where he talks about his influences?

The reason I'm asking this is that JPJ sounds very Jamerson-influenced to me. Maybe you recall an interview where he talks about his influences?

I'm not sure many James Jamerson recordings made their way to JPJ in England during his formative years (the late 50s/early 60s).

I have a question that may have been answered, if so, I can't find it.

I know that all of the proceeds from the O2 concert went to the Ertegan Foundation. Do you know if the sales from all the merch that the band put out went to the Foundation, or, did the band keep the proceeds from the merch.

I was thinking that this morning actually.

I presume that the merch sales contributed to the fund, since the merch sold was related to the concert. The programme, T-shirt, mug etc were all branded with the memorial event, not Led Zeppelin. Also, a proportion of the sales of Celebration Day sales went to the fund.

I don't think so. It's an official commerical release.

I'm not sure many James Jamerson recordings made their way to JPJ in England during his formative years (the late 50s/early 60s).

Well, Jamerson played on most of the Motown recordings in the 60s and the early 70s.

I don't think so. It's an official commerical release.Well, Jamerson played on most of the Motown recordings in the 60s and the early 70s.

Of course he did, but the question remains how many of those recordings reached JPJ in England? Enough to influence his bass playing? For example, you may recall the famous tale of Keith Richards encountering Mick Jagger on the train platform and eyeing the American blues LPs Mick was carrying with him. American records were fairly difficult to obtain back then.

Edited by SteveAJones

I was thinking that this morning actually.

I presume that the merch sales contributed to the fund, since the merch sold was related to the concert. The programme, T-shirt, mug etc were all branded with the memorial event, not Led Zeppelin. Also, a proportion of the sales of Celebration Day sales went to the fund.

Thanks, Cookie. I thought something like that may have been the case as the band did have to pay for the production costs of the DVD, etc.

I have a question that may have been answered, if so, I can't find it.

I know that all of the proceeds from the O2 concert went to the Ertegan Foundation. Do you know if the sales from all the merch that the band put out went to the Foundation, or, did the band keep the proceeds from the merch.

All profits from the concert, to include merchandise sales, went to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund which provides students with annual scholarships to universities in the UK, USA and Turkey.

The Daily Mail reported 0,000 t-shirts had sold out before Led Zeppelin took the stage. There were also programs and prints sold, among other items.

Edited by SteveAJones

Of course he did, but the question remains how many of those recordings reached JPJ in England? Enough to influence his bass playing? For example, you may recall the famous tale of Keith Richards encountering Mick Jagger on the train platform and eyeing the American blues LPs Mick was carrying with him. American records were fairly difficult to obtain back then.

Paul McCartney has declared Jamerson as his biggest influence. Both JPJ and McCartney started their careers roughly at the same time, so I think if McCartney had access to Motown recordings, JPJ did too.

All profits from the concert, to include merchandise sales, went to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund which provides students with annual scholarships to universities in the UK, USA and Turkey.

The Daily Mail reported 0,000 t-shirts had sold out before Led Zeppelin took the stage. There were also programs and prints sold, among other items.

I think he was asking about Celebration Day. Since it's a commercial album released on a record label, I don't think any cash generated by its sales went to the fund. Edited by Geezer