Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Can somebody tell me what's so special about this Hoskyns book?

It's by far the best book about the band, IMO. I guess what's "special" is that it's more or less entirely an oral history of the band (Hoskyns has his little introductory bits at the top of each section to set the scene, but mostly it's just "in their own words"), so you don't have the usual thing of someone trying to tidy a long and messy story and people's inconveniently messy personalities and so on into a coherent narrative and impose their own views about life, the universe, rock and roll and whatever else onto it, which is usually the way with biographies. He's interviewed a LOT of people who knew them (before, during and after the Zeppelin years) - and, crucially, in a lot of different contexts. Musicians, producers, business / finance people, friends, lovers, photographers, girls who worked in the office at Swan Song, you name it. And he's incredibly clever in the way he splices the different comments together - the way that sometimes you have two comments that basically say the same thing and back each other up, and other times you have two which seem to directly contradict each other (just read some of the comments about Bonham and you wouldn't believe they were about the same person). It's like a hologram; you get light fired at the subject from about a hundred different angles, and somewhere in the middle is a three-dimensional image, which you mostly construct yourself (with some subtle help from Hoskyns).

There's no mystical crap; no "Led Zeppelin literally or metaphorically sold their souls and paid the price" kind of annoying bollocks. It reveals a mundane truth, which is that what did for the band was:

a.) Very, very bad luck (Plant's accident, and then his family tragedy);

and

b.) Addictions (Page's, Bonham's, and, not insignificantly, Grant's)

- and it really is as mundane as that. Hoskyns clearly adores the band and their music, and is awesome at conveying the absolute glory of the good times, but he isn't too in awe to face up to some of the more sordid realities. It's a wonderful book, and I hope it becomes established as the definitive book on the band, rather than Hammer Of The Gods or some such crap.

It IS the greatest book about the band, because it all came from quotes of different people associated within and outside the band.

As far as TSRTS, all of the questions have already been answered. You just obviously want more or different answers than what transpired. The band wanted to document the landmark '73 tour - at the last minute they got a film crew together who did a very poor job videotaping the shows. To salvage the project that they had already invested a sizable amount of money into, they did additional filming at SS and their own fantasy sequences. At that point PG was ready to go and the tour began. Once the accident happened and they knew they'd be out of commission for a long while, they decided to dust off what they had and finish the movie. Would've it been different if Robert didn't shatter his leg? Who knows, that's just speculation. The story is what it is. Looking back at it now, we should all be glad it's out, otherwise there might not be any video documentation of that tour.

I'm telling you, some of those 9 canceled shows were intended to be filmed for TSRTS. This can be inferred from the passage I posted.

It IS the greatest book about the band, because it all came from quotes of different people associated within and outside the band.

That would make Cole's book the best bio of the band, and I think it is.

And scylla, thanks for your review. I'll be buying that book soon.

Edited by Geezer

SAJ,

It is on page 414 of the UK edition. And from there you can see the relevance of what I said to you in my above post.

[Jimmy talking about Knebworth]

"I didn't feel very happy at all, and I wasn't well on the second weekend. For me it was that thing of getting families in position. My parents had split up and they both had different families, so one was coming one weekend and the other the next..."

I do not have the Hoskyn's book. Can you post the quote in question?

As far as TSRTS, all of the questions have already been answered. You just obviously want more or different answers than what transpired. The band wanted to document the landmark '73 tour - at the last minute they got a film crew together who did a very poor job videotaping the shows. To salvage the project that they had already invested a sizable amount of money into, they did additional filming at SS and their own fantasy sequences. At that point PG was ready to go and the tour began. Once the accident happened and they knew they'd be out of commission for a long while, they decided to dust off what they had and finish the movie. Would've it been different if Robert didn't shatter his leg? Who knows, that's just speculation. The story is what it is. Looking back at it now, we should all be glad it's out, otherwise there might not be any video documentation of that tour.

I don't have this book yet either, but have heard so many good things about it. I think it's called "Led Zeppelin-An Oral History of the World's Greatest Rock Band." I checked Amazon and there are a few different versions listed. Any idea which one is best to get Walter or anyone here? Thanks.

Don't want to derail this as it's just a quick question. I think I should post this as well in the thread pertaining to this book as I recall reading a few months ago.

Edited by SuperDave

Geezer, on 12 Jul 2013 - 01:17, said:

But that's some shitty logic. They could've played 2-3 concerts in 1974 at a filming-friendly venue (something that MSG is not. Not in 1973 at least) just for the sake of filming.

But I'm afraid these questions cannot be answered because there are too many peculiarities involved. Thanks for the replying, Steve.

The reenactments at Shepperton in Autumn 1974 were merely for the sake of filming and served the same purpose. As I said, I think they simply found themselves in over their head and the initial enthusiasm gradually diminished. It simply wasn't a priority going into 1975. Edited by SteveAJones

I'm telling you, some of those 9 canceled shows were intended to be filmed for TSRTS. This can be inferred from the passage I posted.

If you can convince people they intended to incorporate 1975 film footage into a 1973 performance film than mister you're a better man than I.

Edited by SteveAJones

SAJ,

It is on page 414 of the UK edition. And from there you can see the relevance of what I said to you in my above post.

[Jimmy talking about Knebworth]

"I didn't feel very happy at all, and I wasn't well on the second weekend. For me it was that thing of getting families in position. My parents had split up and they both had different families, so one was coming one weekend and the other the next..."

Ok, I wasn't aware Jimmy divulged that publicly. So there you have it.

Sems Fir,

What is the 'Page/Plant Memorabilia truck' that you are referring to? I have never heard of this. Presumably, Karen Page must have been approached to loan her memorabilia.

Hi Steve & Kenog,

The background does make sense. There were a couple of items on display in the Page / Plant Memorabilia truck in 1995 such as Karen's BPI ITTOD Gold record award as well as a complete autograph display that had autographs personalized to Karen.

Thanks again!

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Sems Fir,

What is the 'Page/Plant Memorabilia truck' that you are referring to? I have never heard of this. Presumably, Karen Page must have been approached to loan her memorabilia.

One day I'll dig out my photos of the truck and post them. I own the large lucite-framed Page/Plant promo poster that was displayed within the left side entrance (not pictured).

A good example of a successful campaign extension is the Miller Brewing Company "Page/Plant" memorabilia truck. Miller Genuine Draft, the official sponsor of the 1995 North American tour of legendary rock 'n' rollers Jimmy Page and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame, wanted to extend the reach of its sponsorship to non-tour markets and retail accounts. The Miller Genuine Draft "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck," a completely customized 72-foot semi-rig, was created. The truck was specifically designed to capture the spirit of rock 'n' roll. The unit featured a 4,800 watt professional sound system, nine video monitors, and a 12,000 watt concert lighting system that used 39 aircraft style landing lights.

For consumers in non-tour markets the "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck" brought the excitement of the tour right into their own backyards. The rig's museum-like interior housed in 3/4 inch plate glass display cases, featured an extensive collection of memorabilia representing Page/Plant from their Led Zeppelin days as well as their current touring. By leveraging high consumer interest value with visits by the truck to key area retailers, the "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck" successfully drove traffic, bringing interested fans from near and far. In addition, the truck functioned as a fund-raising tool for Second Harvest Food Bank, serving as a centerpiece for food drives, selling merchandise and soliciting donations.

MGDtruck.jpg

MGDtruck2.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

Hi Kenog,

A video walkthrough of the memorabilia truck is available on a bootleg concert dvd. The video of the walkthrough was on Youtube in two parts but appears to have been taken down. I saved the video. If I can't find the video on youtube, I can burn you a copy of it. Let me see if I can find it. If not, and if you are interested perhaps I can burn a copy and send it via snail mail.

Steve,

Do you have a copy of the walkthrough? If not, perhaps I can make a copy for you as well.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

I don't have this book yet either, but have heard so many good things about it. I think it's called "Led Zeppelin-An Oral History of the World's Greatest Rock Band." I checked Amazon and there are a few different versions listed. Any idea which one is best to get Walter or anyone here? Thanks.

Don't want to derail this as it's just a quick question. I think I should post this as well in the thread pertaining to this book as I recall reading a few months ago.

That's the title of the book I have, by Barney Hoskyns. I know of no other books with that title. I ordered my copy through B & Nobble. Back to the thread....

Was Perth, '72 recorded? I know there aint much, but is there any evidence pointing one way or another? Seems like I remember hearing that there was an official "statement" or quote saying this show was to be recorded for broadcast. Any thoughts, anyone?

To me, the things that make me believe Perth (and maybe Atlanta '73) WAS recorded is lack of photos. In my opinion, CERTAIN shows lack circulating photos FOR A REASON (aka people bought them long before people started looking for photographic evidence of recording) Thats just a hunch, obviously.

Hi Kenog,

A video walkthrough of the memorabilia truck is available on a bootleg concert dvd. The video of the walkthrough was on Youtube in two parts but appears to have been taken down. I saved the video. If I can't find the video on youtube, I can burn you a copy of it. Let me see if I can find it. If not, and if you are interested perhaps I can burn a copy and send it via snail mail.

Steve,

Do you have a copy of the walkthrough? If not, perhaps I can make a copy for you as well.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Robert,

I'm really not sure if I have the walk through video. I too remember watching it on You Tube and it does seem to have been taken down. I probably have the bootleg dvd that included it but I'll have to check. I could contact the original videographer to confirm when and where he filmed it and that would help to pinpoint which bootleg dvd contained the footage. He might be willing to upload it to You Tube.

Edited by SteveAJones

Was Perth, '72 recorded? I know there aint much, but is there any evidence pointing one way or another? Seems like I remember hearing that there was an official "statement" or quote saying this show was to be recorded for broadcast. Any thoughts, anyone?

Please refer to post #30 of this thread wherein Australian Leo T. Ishac discusses in great detail his hunt for a Perth recording.

Hi Steve,

I checked the post I made over on RO with the links regarding the video walkthough where the uploader (who was not the filmer) mentioned the footage is from May 20, 1995 and that there's more footage from three days earlier but they say it's basically the same. I thought the footage was on a concert dvd but it was on a Page / Plant video compilation. We could IM and ask if they would be willing to reupload the video. Then again, I guess I could create a Youtube account and reupload the footage.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Thank you. It would be nice if you would do that.

One day I'll dig out my photos of the truck and post them. I own the large lucite-framed Page/Plant promo poster that was displayed within the left side entrance (not pictured).

A good example of a successful campaign extension is the Miller Brewing Company "Page/Plant" memorabilia truck. Miller Genuine Draft, the official sponsor of the 1995 North American tour of legendary rock 'n' rollers Jimmy Page and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame, wanted to extend the reach of its sponsorship to non-tour markets and retail accounts. The Miller Genuine Draft "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck," a completely customized 72-foot semi-rig, was created. The truck was specifically designed to capture the spirit of rock 'n' roll. The unit featured a 4,800 watt professional sound system, nine video monitors, and a 12,000 watt concert lighting system that used 39 aircraft style landing lights.

For consumers in non-tour markets the "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck" brought the excitement of the tour right into their own backyards. The rig's museum-like interior housed in 3/4 inch plate glass display cases, featured an extensive collection of memorabilia representing Page/Plant from their Led Zeppelin days as well as their current touring. By leveraging high consumer interest value with visits by the truck to key area retailers, the "Page/Plant Memorabilia Truck" successfully drove traffic, bringing interested fans from near and far. In addition, the truck functioned as a fund-raising tool for Second Harvest Food Bank, serving as a centerpiece for food drives, selling merchandise and soliciting donations.

MGDtruck.jpg

MGDtruck2.jpg

Do you guys have any quotes by the Beatles on Zep or vice versa? This is all I was able to find:

Lennon: "I think in any of those terms. You know, I just think it's either something I like or don't like or it's heavy or it's light. I like heavy music, I call it rock. I like Zeppelin, I've only heard a couple you know, they're okay."

Harrison to Bonham: "The problem with your band is that you don't do any ballads."

McCartney's lyrics in a Wings song "Rock Show":

What's that man holding in his hand?

He looks a lot like a guy I knew way back when

It's Silly Willie with the Philly Band, could be, oo wee

Tell me, what's that man moving cross the stage?

It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page

It's like a relic from a different age, could be, oo wee

Edited by Geezer

• Administrators

Do you guys have any quotes by the Beatles on Zep or vice versa? This is all I was able to find:

Lennon: "I think in any of those terms. You know, I just think it's either something I like or don't like or it's heavy or it's light. I like heavy music, I call it rock. I like Zeppelin, I've only heard a couple you know, they're okay."

Harrison to Bonham: "The problem with your band is that you don't do any ballads."

McCartney's lyrics in a Wings song "Rock Show":

What's that man holding in his hand?

He looks a lot like a guy I knew way back when

It's Silly Willie with the Philly Band, could be, oo wee

Tell me, what's that man moving cross the stage?

It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page

It's like a relic from a different age, could be, oo wee

I posted a new quote here a couple of years ago: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/308-zeppelin-mysteries-hosted-by-steve-a-jones/?view=findpost&p=532435

Not sure if this has been covered before..... There's a Beatles book which chronicles all the rehearsal & studio tapes and I found this interesting reference to Zeppelin / John Bonham.

-- January 22, 1969 --

Someone asks George if he already listened to the new record by Jimmy Page. "Jimmy Page", wasn't he the one who was in the Yardbirds?", he asks. The answer if affirmative, so George is told.

The conversation continues: The largest group is talking at the table. The new band of Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, is briefly discussed. "John Paul Jones on bass, he is very young", someone says. And a kid called John Bonham on drums. He is unbelievable. Fantastic to hear this."

attachicon.gifbeatles_1-25-69-quote.jpg

"Three hours", exclaimed backstage well-wisher George Harrison. "The Beatles were never on stage more than 40 minutes when we were doing concerts."

Page: "I purposely stuck the first two notes of 'Something' on 'The Rain Song.'"

Thanks for that quote, Sam. Please see the PM, by the way.

Edited by Geezer