Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Anyone want to bring this back around to the thread at hand?

Hell why not me. I'm embarrassed to admit this, after 30 years of collecting and having seen a great deal, but I don't know why Plant always says "Ta", as in " thank you very much, ta". Anyone willing to clear that up for me?

I think that what you said, "Anyone want to bring this back around to the thread at hand"? is pretty funny in a funny way.

I, KingZoso, was the one who asked about Jimmy Page and His whole drunk and smoking incident on a domestic United States airlines. I just wanted clarification on what I had read many years ago. It was many others that kept replying to this "mystery".

I will admit that I am both a (Marlboro) smoker and a (Budweiser) beer drinker, but like someone already mentioned, I would never get so intoxicated as to dare and want the police to arrest me.

Regardless, I have to Love the fact that "our" Jimmy Page, the One and Only and Living Legend and the Greatest Musician of All-Time, was (apparently) so intoxicated that He could not wait to smoke a cigarette until the plane landed.

I LOVE YOU MR. JAMES PATRICK PAGE!!!!

Anyone have decent footage of the two times RP was on Mike Read's "Pop Quiz" in the 80s? I used to have both on Betamax but Lord knows if I'll ever dig them out. I recall him singing along to the "'Ello Mrs Jones, 'ows your Bert's lumbago?" part of The Small Faces' "Lazy Sunday Afternoon"

Saw someone above looking for John Bonham talking about Keith Moon, just found this:

John had been so impressed when he saw The Who's drummer, a young Keith Moon, for the first time on TV, that he began to experiment with fashion.

Source: John Bonham: The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin by Mick Bonham

Steve, do you know anything about Strawberry Jam? When was it written and who's the main songwriter? Also, did the band at least attempt to record it in the studio?

Surfacing from a July 6, 1973 sound check at Chicago Stadium, the track is referred to as Strawberry Jam on the initial bootleg releases. Some say it is a rework of the track Sugar Mama, recorded in June 1969 at Morgan Studios in London. I will add it bears similarities to the improvised funk jams found within live performances of 'Whole Lotta Love' during the same era.

Thanks, Steve. Do you know whether the tapes of the original Sugar Mama recording exist? If yes, then I think it'll be featured in the box sets.

I'm fairly certain Jimmy has the studio master recording secured; as a by the way 'We're Gonna Groove' was recorded during the same session. However, it's interesting to note that Jimmy elected to use 'We're Gonna Groove' from Royal Albert Hall (January 9, 1970) for inclusion on the 'Coda' album as opposed to the Morgan Studios outtake from June 1969.

Surfacing from a July 6, 1973 sound check at Chicago Stadium,

Steve, there is no way that soundcheck is from Chicago 73'! If you have the bootlegs from Chicago in 1973, you'll know Plant's voice was shot because of him having the flu. That souncheck might be from the 75' tour or sometime before or after their set of concerts at the Chicago Stadium in 73'.

Then again, how Plant sounds during Strawberry Jam, it's probably during their 73' tour, but I know it isn't while they were in Chicago. It's been suggested it could be from Minneapolis on July 9th.

Edited by Amstel

Steve, there is no way that soundcheck is from Chicago 73'! If you have the bootlegs from Chicago in 1973, you'll know Plant's voice was shot because of him having the flu. That souncheck might be from the 75' tour or sometime before or after their set of concerts at the Chicago Stadium in 73'.

Then again, how Plant sounds during Strawberry Jam, it's probably during their 73' tour, but I know it isn't while they were in Chicago. It's been suggested it could be from Minneapolis on July 9th.

July 6th 1973 in Chicago was actually the first date after a one month break. Robert didn't have the flu; after the show that night he, Jimmy & Bonzo went to see Bobby Bland perform. I'm aware there is speculation the sound check could be from Minneapolis on July 9th 1973 but I don't think it's ever been confirmed.

July 6th 1973 in Chicago was actually the first date after a one month break. Robert didn't have the flu; after the show that night he, Jimmy & Bonzo went to see Bobby Bland perform. I'm aware there is speculation the sound check could be from Minneapolis on July 9th 1973 but I don't think it's ever been confirmed.

Yes.yes, yes...I know the story of seeing Bobby Bland. I know it was Led Zeppelin's first show on the second leg of the tour. Fact is Steve, Plant's voice was shot during those concerts -I do have the shows. I'll bet the house that the souncheck we speak of is not from their stint in Chicago.

It's definitely the 6th because on the SBD Jimmy plays that jam through WLL in the actual show so it would seem he was practicing it out to play during the song. The only argument you could have that it's 75 is that in the soundcheck they play Wanton Song but it's a bit too much of a barebones version for it to be near the one they recorded eventually, we all know Pagey had most of the PG riffs made years before they recorded the songs on the album.

It couldn't have been 1975 because the song had already been finalized and recorded by that time. The song was actually recorded in January-February 1974, which means that the soundcheck version is definitely from before early 1974. I still think it's 6 July 1973.

Edited by Geezer

Do any of you have the soundboard of July 6th? Plant's voice is shot! That is why I do not believe the soundcheck we speak of is from earlier in the day.

I agree with Geezer on the fact it probably isn't from 75', only because Plant's voice took on a whole new persona, if you will, by that point.

It's definitely from 73', but either before or after their stint in Chicago.

I thought that the 75 tour started out one way and the voice changed as the tour progressed?

Plant's voice was changed forever after he had the "secret" surgery on his vocal chords, which occured after the 73' American tour and before they started recording Physical Graffiti.

Plant's voice was changed forever after he had the "secret" surgery on his vocal chords, which occured after the 73' American tour and before they started recording Physical Graffiti.

What are you referring to? I've heard that story but always though it was a rumor.

What are you referring to? I've heard that story but always though it was a rumor.

My response was to the comment Charles J. White made above.

The "surgery" thing is mentioned/confirmed in a few books I own about Led Zeppelin. Geezer, you and I both know his voice did take on a new life after that 73' tour.