1977.07.17 Remastered Soundtrack

SteveZ98

Good Morning, Steve!  Can I get a link to this?

I was admittedly a tad apprehensive about this one as it isn't a show I often go back to (or ever). But, not surprisingly, the sample sounds too good to ignore.

Thanks in advance for your work here!

Thanks SteveZ98.

I posted a thread long ago about how the Godfatherecords release of the audio for this show gives a much better account of the gig than watching the video or listening to any audio sourced from the videotrack. Now, Steve's stereo remaster improves it even more.

17 minutes ago, Strider said:

Thanks SteveZ98.

I posted a thread long ago about how the Godfatherecords release of the audio for this show gives a much better account of the gig than watching the video or listening to any audio sourced from the videotrack. Now, Steve's stereo remaster improves it even more.

I got to listen to this show a ton when I was working on it and came to like it a lot more than I had before I started. Hopefully the improved audio quality will give a lot of folks a chance to re-evaluate their opinion of the performance, which I think is way better than the video leads people to believe it was.

I was discussing this show with a stranger at Whole Foods just yesterday. I was wearing my 1977 US Tour reprint tee shirt and he stopped me to compliment it and say he caught that at old Chicago Stadium as a 13 yo. His dad took him and his brother. I told him I was jealous because at age 9 I was too young, but remember reading Seattle Times about epic Kingdome show and being intrigued. Sadly my chance never came to pass….

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I merged the remastered soundtrack to the video. Here's a sample. Send me a message if you want a link to the full version.

May I get a link please? Thank you for all your hard work SteveZ98 and generosity!

On 9/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, SteveZ98 said:

I merged the remastered soundtrack to the video. Here's a sample. Send me a message if you want a link to the full version.

Awesome!  Could I please get a link?  Your work is amazing. 

Edited by slp9b

Steve seeing the video with your remastered audio is over the top.  Just those initial bass and drum notes before TSRTS starts.  WOW.  Takes me back.   The bass sounds incredible.  I know it is not everyone's favorite bass tone through the years, but it was monstrous.  I know at MSG I could feel the bass in my chest, just like the drums.  That 1977 bass gets a bad rap due to  many of the original soundboard releases.  Sure its not 1975 or 1973 or any other prior tour, but it is special in all its glory.  Sometimes I wonder if Jones went for that sound because he was thinking maybe he had to cut through more incisively to make up for any "issues" that might crop up with the guitar.  

Edited by John M

39 minutes ago, John M said:

Steve seeing the video with your remastered audio is over the top.  Just those initial bass and drum notes before TSRTS starts.  WOW.  Takes me back.   The bass sounds incredible.  I know it is not everyone's favorite bass tone through the years, but it was monstrous.  I know at MSG I could feel the bass in my chest, just like the drums.  That 1977 bass gets a bad rap due to  many of the original soundboard releases.  Sure its not 1975 or 1973 or any other prior tour, but it is special in all its glory.  Sometimes I wonder if Jones went for that sound because he was thinking maybe he had to cut through more incisively to make up for any "issues" that might crop up with the guitar.  

Thanks. He and John Entwistle, bass players for two of the heaviest live acts of the 1970s, both chose to use the same kind of bass in concert, so it must have been badass live. I'm not sure why it sometimes sounds so lightweight on recordings.