Mr. Jimmy (Akio Sakurai) Documentary

It was absolutely fantastic.

A story about a meticulously focused passion that is...unobtainable.

Akio Sakurai's care and attention to detail in reproducing Page's playing, sound, stage performance, and wardrobe is awe inspiring. He's goes to incredible lengths to make things a pure reproduction, yet he's constantly on a pursuit to find the absolute perfection that still alludes him. Most often, it's the "cover" musicians he plays with that let him down. They simply don't understand the obsession, or even, what makes Zeppelin and Page so essential. They just wanna play the studio hits. Therein lies my only criticism of the film. They spend a good portion focusing on the cover groups Akio attaches himself to, that aren't worth a drop of his sweat.

This will do well on the award circuit this year. It's a very well done film. I brought a friend who IS NOT a Zeppelin geek, and she throughly enjoyed the story. We both wondered if we had anything in our respective lives that we are THAT passionate about, and we were stumped. Ha!

Definitely see this film, in a theater, with a good sound system. With more of an audience, I think this film could inspire a lot of people to digest Zeppelin on a deeper level. It's that good.

The movie poster is beautiful as well. I'm on the hunt for a full sized print at the moment.

Edited by Eyekhan

• 2 months later...

perhaps a little off topic but couple weeks back  my son and daughter bought tickets to see Jason Bonhom in bridgeport ct. my kids are 32 and 30, have another  29, anyways they went and said the show was really great but all their comments and videos showcased mr. Jimmy and how awesome this guy was, while most of their friends are into rap its nice to see the apple didn't fall far from the tree with my three

12 hours ago, reids said:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/akio-sakurai-mr-jimmy

L-R (James Dylan - vocals, me, Tony Franklin - bass, Jimmy - guitar) after concert Atlanta, GA 11/17/23

R😎🎸👍🎶

IMG_5265.jpeg

IMG_5264.jpeg

IMG_5263.jpeg

IMG_5262.jpeg

How long has Tony Franklin being playing with JBLZE? I don't recall him being part of it the last time I saw Jason. Seems an odd choice considering how different his approach was compared to John Paul Jones.

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

How long has Tony Franklin being playing with JBLZE? I don't recall him being part of it the last time I saw Jason. Seems an odd choice considering how different his approach was compared to John Paul Jones.

Tony only did 3 shows (w/ Atlanta being one of them) before he had surgery (recently). He covered for Dorian Heartsong.

R😎

• 2 months later...

I hope for your sake and Led Zep + music fans in general that the Mr Jimmy movie will show in the UK,  sounds like a good movie per the reviews here and elsewhere. It would do incredibly well in the UK right? If there was a showing near me last year I unfortunately missed it. 

Michigan folks- according to the mrjimmymovie website there are some showings in Flint,  MI at the Flint Institute of Arts April 12-14 2024. 

Touching on some related posts about seeing bassist Tony Franklin playing with Jason, Mr Jimmy et al- I would love to see that myself. I think he's a fantastic musician.

When I saw the Experience Hendrix tour show live years ago I marveled how wonderfully the rhythm section was playing with the ridiculous (and various) amount of talent on guitar doing their takes of Hendrix songs. I thought that's a really good player hitting groove after groove perfectly and meshing so well with all those different axemen they were trotting out on stage one after another. He looked familiar but...? When they said it was Tony Franklin  I thought oooh yeah, yep, that checks. 

47 minutes ago, Tangerina said:

I hope for your sake and Led Zep + music fans in general that the Mr Jimmy movie will show in the UK,  sounds like a good movie per the reviews here and elsewhere. It would do incredibly well in the UK right? If there was a showing near me last year I unfortunately missed it. 

Michigan folks- according to the mrjimmymovie website there are some showings in Flint,  MI at the Flint Institute of Arts April 12-14 2024

Touching on some related posts about seeing bassist Tony Franklin playing with Jason, Mr Jimmy et al- I would love to see that myself. I think he's a fantastic musician.

When I saw the Experience Hendrix tour show live years ago I marveled how wonderfully the rhythm section was playing with the ridiculous (and various) amount of talent on guitar doing their takes of Hendrix songs. I thought that's a really good player hitting groove after groove perfectly and meshing so well with all those different axemen they were trotting out on stage one after another. He looked familiar but...? When they said it was Tony Franklin  I thought oooh yeah, yep, that checks. 

There was a UK premiere last year with Led Zeppelin historian and author, Dave Lewis,  as the host. 

R😎

16 minutes ago, reids said:

There was a UK premiere last year with Led Zeppelin historian and author, Dave Lewis,  as the host. 

R😎

Unfortunately that was just a one off private showing, it’s not on general release here. It doesn’t look like anything is scheduled for later this year either, so who knows when/if it will ever be available..must be some copyright issues etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 6:12 AM, Paganini said:

Unfortunately that was just a one off private showing, it’s not on general release here. It doesn’t look like anything is scheduled for later this year either, so who knows when/if it will ever be available..must be some copyright issues etc.

April 19 UK theatres 

R😎

IMG_6547.jpeg

Piggybacking on Reids post ^^.

"The Mr Jimmy film is showing in selected Light cinemas on April 25 including Cambridge, Banbury, Redhill, Sittingbourne and Stockport."

Seems the 19th some places, the 25th others.

This is kinda old but don't see it in this thread.

On 4/4/2024 at 7:46 AM, reids said:

April 19 UK theatres 

R😎

IMG_6547.jpeg

Having absolutely no joy whatsoever finding out where this will be screened on the 19th. I found the above on Instagram but I do not have an Instagram account. Yes, there are some of us left! Absolutely no idea what "Showtimes in link in bio" means. I cannot find a "bio". I do not know how Instagram works. HELP!

2 hours ago, nigelss said:

Having absolutely no joy whatsoever finding out where this will be screened on the 19th. I found the above on Instagram but I do not have an Instagram account. Yes, there are some of us left! Absolutely no idea what "Showtimes in link in bio" means. I cannot find a "bio". I do not know how Instagram works. HELP!

https://www.mrjimmymovie.com/

https://addlestone.thelight.co.uk/mr-jimmy-recorded-qa

details at above links

R😎🎶🎸👍

Edited by reids

1 hour ago, reids said:

Thanks for the rapid reply but I am still completely stumped on this. I visited the two links you give before posting my question here and as far as I can see they only mention a screening at one location. The text under the picture (in my previous post) says "mrjimmymovie... is coming to 13 cinemas across England on April 19th! Showtimes in link in bio...". Please can you or someone else give me a direct link I can click on to see all the locations where it is being screened in the UK? You would think "they" would want to make it easy for people to find out where it is on! Must be me being too damn old and refusing to engage with all this social media rubbish! Many thanks in advance (he said hopefully).

HOLD THE BUS!

Just realised that "the light" is a chain of cinemas. I only saw 'Addlestone' and did not spot the 'change cinemas' link. Also didn't spot the thing at the top I could click to see their other screens. The last time I went to the cinema was to see Celebration Day when it was first released! Cambridge might be a possibility... Thanks again.

Edited by nigelss