Jimmy and the banjo

MHD

I was listening to III earlier and it got me thinking, is the outro to Gallows Pole the only time we hear Jimmy play banjo on a Zep song?

I think so, yes, at least in the studio recordings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yeah, that was mandolin and he only played it on Evermore.

Jimmy does not play the mandolin . that is all JPJ. and i think he doesn't play the banjo either. I know that JPJ does so my guess is that he played that in gallows pole. not jimmy. and in going to california that is john paul jones on the mandolin. you can see it if you watch them live

That seems right, JPJ really is amazing with all the instruments he plays so well. Jerry Garcia is quite good on banjo - check out "Old and in the Way" with him, fiddle player Vasser Clements, and a member of NRPS (David Grisom?) on manolin.

Jimmy does not play the mandolin . that is all JPJ. and i think he doesn't play the banjo either. I know that JPJ does so my guess is that he played that in gallows pole. not jimmy. and in going to california that is john paul jones on the mandolin. you can see it if you watch them live

No no Jimmy plays mandolin in "battle of evermore". watch the seattle 1977 show or the unledded and you will see.

No, Jimmy did play the banjo on Gallows Pole, but it was actually JPJ's banjo on which he played it. JPJ swapped the banjo for a white Stratocaster

And yes JPJ played all the mandolin parts

Jimmy did play banjo on Gallows Pole. He also played mandolin on Battle of Evermore. In fact, it was JPJ's mandolin and Jimmy just picked it up in the studio one day and Battle of Evermore was born. Jonesy played mandolin on Going to California.

There is no mandolin on Bron Yr Aur

I love that quote! So typically Pagey. So humble. Like when he said the shows in 73 that became TSRTS were "off nights". They were fucking brilliant. Some of his best work ever! His fingerstyle was great! Bert Jansche, Davey Graham. C'mon, Bron Yr Aur? White Summer? Black Mountain Side? He kills me!! Yeah, his style was "off the cuff". Not regimented. But "total incompetence"? Who are you trying to kid Jimmy? :lol:

That seems right, JPJ really is amazing with all the instruments he plays so well. Jerry Garcia is quite good on banjo - check out "Old and in the Way" with him, fiddle player Vasser Clements, and a member of NRPS (David Grisom?) on manolin.

So is John Entwhistle. Remember "Squeezebox"

That's cool, if true - must be multitracked, since there's also bass?

There was much multitracking. Usually with a guide vocal, and then Jimmy would go to work, layering and selecting sections with aid of the engineer(s) (in this case Andy Johns and Terry Manning.). On Gallows Pole, the lead guitar (the one that sounds like a fiddle) was clearly put on after.

JPJ played almost always (always to my knowledge) played mandolin in their sutdio albums, but for Battle of Evermore, I believe Jimmy wrote the music for it. JPJ simply played it.

No disrespect, but that makes no sense. Jimmy wrote it. He played the part onstage. Why hand it over to Jonesy for the recording? Did he sit down and teach it to him? Why? I'm just asking. I've never read that anywhere.

There was much multitracking. Usually with a guide vocal, and then Jimmy would go to work, layering and selecting sections with aid of the engineer(s) (in this case Andy Johns and Terry Manning.). On Gallows Pole, the lead guitar (the one that sounds like a fiddle) was clearly put on after.

No disrespect, but that makes no sense. Jimmy wrote it. He played the part onstage. Why hand it over to Jonesy for the recording? Did he sit down and teach it to him? Why? I'm just asking. I've never read that anywhere.

Jimmy played the mandolin on "battle of evermore". no doubt. i remember him saying this in an interview.

Archived