the boss? really?

boogie

sorry, but i don't get it. i know i must be wrong. one of the few. i just don't like him that much. the album "born to run" was ok. but thats it for me. please explain what i am missing.

It's alright, I've never been much of a fan either but as a few of us explained in another thread, I at least respect his talent. For the most part I've just never been able to get past his voice even though I'm a Dylan fan. Go figure.

This may sound strange;but I'm a big fan of Bruce Springsteen,have been for awhile,and yet I can understand why others aren't,kind of like the opposite of what Jahfin said about Dylan..I like a few of Dylans' songs,and I appreciate everything that he's done,but it's never gone further than that.

Did that make any sense? :huh:

I love Springsteen. Love him, love him, love him. I can understand how some people may not care for his voice, it is very unique and either you like it or you don't. In 3 months I'm seeing him live again, and I can't wait. His live shows I think, are part of what makes him so great.

I love Springsteen. Love him, love him, love him. I can understand how some people may not care for his voice, it is very unique and either you like it or you don't. In 3 months I'm seeing him live again, and I can't wait. His live shows I think, are part of what makes him so great.

Me too. There's just something about his songs, and in particular his lyrics, which sends shivers down my spine. He paints an incredibly emotive picture of blue-collar American life - and as for his live shows, wow! I've been lucky enough to see him 4 times, 3 of those times in 1980 - 81 and they were unforgettable shows. An amazing composer and performer, IMHO.

This may sound strange;but I'm a big fan of Bruce Springsteen,have been for awhile,and yet I can understand why others aren't,kind of like the opposite of what Jahfin said about Dylan..I like a few of Dylans' songs,and I appreciate everything that he's done,but it's never gone further than that.

Did that make any sense? :huh:

Yes it does though I feel more as Jahfin does in that I am much more of a Dylan fan. I like Springsteen though I was late on that bandwagon and have seen him in concerts several times. I prefer his early work to what he's done post Born in the USA. I do appreciate him more live. Though I'm not a huge fan, I definitely think he's an amazing songwriter.

sorry, but i don't get it. i know i must be wrong. one of the few. i just don't like him that much. the album "born to run" was ok. but thats it for me. please explain what i am missing.

Sorry, not to down anyone else's preferences, but I never, never "got" Bruce. No doubt about his workmanship ethic, which, who couldn't respect that??? But as far as the music is concerned, can't relate...i guess it's a New Jersey thing, kinda like the most noxious Bon Jovi! At least Bruce gets my props...at least I respect his songwriting skills, which I DO believe he has...Just never liked the format of the music, horns, etc (and before the flaming starts, I know, I know that other bands have used it to...) just not like the overkill of bruce...

amd_brucespringsteen_1.jpg

So it's September 1974, beginning my sophomore year of college at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ and I hook up with Joe, a friend from freshman year. We decided to take our friendship to a new level and took a drive in his beat up Dodge Dart around Teaneck. We were definately smoking pot and may have even had a couple of beers with us, when Joe decided to put an 8-track in his player. I was feeling real good when the first song came on, "The E Street Shuffle" off of Bruce's 2nd LP. My mouth dropped. I was mesmerized by the music. I enjoyed American bands, but my main focus at the time were British bands. You all know who they are. (This is starting to sound like a long Springsteen rant.) Well my first live show was in 1976, second one was 1978. I lost interest when he started playing arenas in the early 80's. Those first two LP's are essential and hopefully when you form an opinion about him, you've at least heard Greetings from Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Maybe it wouldn't have the same impact today. Fast forward to the 00's. I've been to Springsteen shows each one of the last 5 years. I just tell two highlights from the recent shows......going to Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ to watch a rehearsal show for the Seegar sessions (that was NO rehearsal). I was about 15 feet away from the stage. Also, in November at Verizon Center with the E Street Band, a song off the Nebraska CD entitled "Reason to Believe". They start off with a 2 guitar attack on a ZZ Top riff ( I thing it was La Grange) and launch into a raunchy version of the song ("Reason to Believe" ) vocal distortion and it was just awesome. Great band backing Bruce, but for the me highlight is Bruce's Mini-Me a.k.a Nils Lofgren. That guy can play. And when puts his guitar on its back and plays slide, it is just unreal. I wish I could grow my sideburns like Nils.

I used to feel that way about Springsteen and Dylan. I didn't get into either of the songwriters 'til I was in my early (Dylan) and middle (Springsteen) twenties...

Regarding Springsteen, I always liked the song "Born To Run", but being mostly ignorant of much of his other music, I didn't care for the rest of his work. I guess one day I decided that anybody who can write a song as excellent as "Born To Run" must be worth investigating further. So, instead of buying a 'greatest hits' collection, I purchased the live "Hammersmith". Ever since I heard that album I've been a fan. Great energy. Well-crafted tunes. Stories in the songs I can listen to repeatedly.

But not everybody's gonna like him.

The Rising, Devils and Dust, The Seeger Sessions and Magic. All critically acclaimed, nominated for Grammies(for what it's worth), loved by his fans and released since 2003. The music, production and marketing(yes) are all top notch. Live, all songs old and new, are subject to new arrangements with different instrumentation. And he is NOT milking his fans on the touring circuit with $250.00 tickets. So it's good times if you like Bruce.

I repect BS never dug his music....I find a lot of his stuff boring as hell and little too pop for my tastes...for a while there, I couldn't stand him because my old roommate used to tell me Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, etc. were shit live compared to Bruce....used to drive me nuts esp. after hearing soem these shows he had on tape...they were OK but crap compared to my rock heroes IMO....BUT, I do plan on seeing him once this summer to see what all the hype of his live shows are about....hey, I didn't like the Grateful Dead till I saw them live.....been a Deadhead ever since...still don't think I'll change my mind but I'm willling to try (but I'll take a nosebleeder....not paying $250)!!!

I've been listening to "One Step Up" a lot lately; it's an underrated song.

There's a good handful of Bruce songs I like and this is one of them. If ever I make the Springsteen plunge in all likelihood the Tunnel of Love album will be my first purchase. Either that or Nebraska, which always comes highly recommended.

Speaking of Thunder Road being "epic" I'd have to put Jungleland in that category as well. I recall hearing both while laying in the bed listening to the radio late at night and marvelling at the Phil Spector-esque wall of sound even if the guy out front's voice got on my nerves. They were like mini-rock operas back then.

If ever I make the Springsteen plunge in all likelihood the Tunnel of Love album will be my first purchase. Either that or Nebraska, which always comes highly recommended.

I would recommend Nebraska and/or The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. One's for pondering, one's for merrymaking.

You're not alone.....I don't quite dig The Boss either....just a couple of songs. I prefer listening to Patti Scialfa (his beautiful and talented wife) and Little Steven (who is doing some groovy stuff out there by promoting garage/psychedelic music with Little Steven's Underground Garage radio and project)!

Rob :)

Archived