Guiatr Hero, Rockband

Jarlaxle 56

Could someone explain to me the appeal of these "music simulator" games? I've tried both, and the guitar is nothing at all like actually playing, and the drums on Rockband are terrible. I mean, it's four pads and and a pedal, they aren't even placed like a real drum set and it feels like I'm hitting a tiled floor. What is the appeal of pretending to play an instrument? Why don't people just spend the cash they're shelling out for these expensive games on some real instruments? They barely even teach you anything about playing and are nothing like the real thing.

Is it because they're fun? I find it more fun to spend four hours learning some songs than pretend that I can actually play them. There's the usual gripe "Oh real instruments take too long to learn and cost too much". And that the game is more fun than learning for real, well let me tell you, it's about a trillion fucking times more fun playing these songs for real in a band.

There are better video games to waste my time with, ones that actual let me do something I'd never be able to do.

Well, that was my rant. Feel free to argue back :P

I play GuitarHero a lot (expert, never played anyone better than me). The appeal is that it has a simple, pick-up-and-play concept. It's especially fun with friends. Let's say you and your buddy don't want to pay $500+ to learn guitar, you play this. That's it. And hey, at parties, someone busts out a Ps2 or Xbox360 and guitar hero, you got yourself a rockin good time. It's fun to just pick up the controller, sit down, and try to beat Freebird on Expert, rather than having to get a real guitar, an amp, a backup band, and a lot practice to finish one song.

Just to recap the appeal is that it has that simple "pick-up-and-play" concept

I play GuitarHero a lot (expert, never played anyone better than me). The appeal is that it has a simple, pick-up-and-play concept. It's especially fun with friends. Let's say you and your buddy don't want to pay $500+ to learn guitar, you play this. That's it. And hey, at parties, someone busts out a Ps2 or Xbox360 and guitar hero, you got yourself a rockin good time. It's fun to just pick up the controller, sit down, and try to beat Freebird on Expert, rather than having to get a real guitar, an amp, a backup band, and a lot practice to finish one song.

Just to recap the appeal is that it has that simple "pick-up-and-play" concept

I guess I've never seen the appeal of the type of games that are made for parties, like Dance Dance Revolution or something. But I don't see the point of making them overly challenging, because if you're going to spend a lot of time learning how to beat all of the songs on Expert with 90% or something, why not spend all of that time and effort on learning the real instrument? I get the fact that they can be fun for parties, what I don't understand is the obsession some people have with getting ridiculously good at the game and never touching the instrument.

I guess I've never seen the appeal of the type of games that are made for parties, like Dance Dance Revolution or something. But I don't see the point of making them overly challenging, because if you're going to spend a lot of time learning how to beat all of the songs on Expert with 90% or something, why not spend all of that time and effort on learning the real instrument? I get the fact that they can be fun for parties, what I don't understand is the obsession some people have with getting ridiculously good at the game and never touching the instrument.

That annoys me as well. If you're going to make an all-out effort to master something, why not make it the real deal?

No wonder most music sucks these days. <_<

It's the same with so many games though, isn't it? FIFA and PES "simulate" soccer, and so many people worship these games, but they're nothing like the sport concerned; I suspect war is nothing like Call of Duty; space trading nothing like Elite...

Without going into people's psyches too much, we're all allowed to have fun within very wide boundaries, and there are so many ways we can do this.

Sure it's disappointing that in the case of Guitar Hero players find the concept of a guitar so disposable, but hey, that's the music industry's fault for making rock n roll so disposable. We (as a society) are culturally conditioned to accept new things then forget them.

But if there's a chance that someone picks up the game and makes enough of a connection with it that they're inspired to pick up a guitar proper, then I reckon it's a good thing.

That person might even change the world.

Guitar Hero is a pet peeve for me as well. All my friends who have no life and can play Guitar Hero on Expert get all cocky and shit about it, and diss me when I play and get booed off the stage on the Easy level. THAT pisses me off-- I'm like "its only fucking GUITAR HERO and I'm the only one out of you lot who actually plays REAL GUITAR!!" Arrrrrrrrghhh. So I've developed a little hatred for Guitar Hero/Rockband, because people who are obsessed with it and can't play the real instruments act like they're so damn hip about music. One day after Christmas my friend said to me, "I got a new guitar for Christmas!" And I'm like, "Huh? You don't play guitar" And she, *puts on snotty voice* says: "No, for Guitar Hero, duh!!" Ugh. Said friend's boyfriend just went out and bought Rockband (made 0 sense for him to do so since he has to pay insurance, credit card bills, and he has no fucking job!!!) and he sits there in his room ALL DAY and plays the stupid game. He could have taken the money he spent on guitar hero, Rockband, and all the time he spends on beating both of those games and bought a REAL INSTRUMENT AND FUCKING MASTERED it by now!!!!

No one gets why I suck at Guitar Hero, they say: "But you are so good at guitar I don't understand why you suck at this!!" Guitar Hero is NOTHING LIKE a real guitar! A real guitar does not consist of four fucking colour coded buttons and one string!

I could probably go on and on about this forever but I think I'll end it here. :rolleyes: Sorry, its just one of those things that really gets on my nerves for some reason... :lol:

Edited by songbird

Hmmm...I see this completely differently.  The lull in creativity is something I won't get into as my views are unpopular on that subject, but I will say its been there a hell of a lot longer than Guitar hero.  In fact, i'll go as far as to say that the home video game options that preceeded GH are partly to blame for the lull of creativity in music.  Until recently, kids weren't even aware of guitar based rock and roll....now they are aware of it, and from what I can see, they're liking it.  I've heard countless stories of kids asking for guitars this past christmas because they're interest is piqued by the games.

How is this a bad thing?

The one negative that I have heard is some kids are having a bit of culture shock when they realize the real thing requires practice, dexterity, equipment, etc.

Go to a grade school band concert sometime, it's shocking to me how small they are compared to when I was involved in them.

Anything that brings the younger generation back to the arts is Ok by me.

I've known many people that because of those games have gotten into a lot of that music that is featured on there, and at least one person that has taken up the guitar because of it. I think it's great that there's something that is at worst putting some spotlight on that great music of years gone by.

Let me give you an example: last year, a bunch of us were playing guitar hero, and somebody started playing Texas Flood, and a couple of guys were like, "This is freakin' awesome." I told them they ain't seen nothing until they've seen Stevie Ray playing it, pulled up the El Mocambo version, and they freaked. Picked up some cd's, now they're the biggest Stevie fans.

As a guitar player, it is just a good time thing to do with friends. I guess it's like drinking: fun to do with friends, just sad to do by yourself.

Edited by Deezer

Ok, It's good if kids (I'm 17 btw) are getting into good tunes from these games and actually deciding to pick up the real thing. I mean, they have some great track selections I admit. I still concede that once they've actually played an entire song through with a real band most won't want to play the game much anymore, it's just way more fun. I just really hate games where you do nothing but hit buttons in certain sequence, I like more depth to my games.

It's just as easy for me to pick up a REAL guitar, FFS. :rolleyes:

But not everyone wants to make music or jam with a real band or whatever. If you're just chillin with friends or at your house bored and you don't really want to elarn a guitar because you know you won't play it, than Guitar Hero it is. Why do people play real guitar? To imitate songs or to learn to create music? I find that the latter fits yes? Why do people play Guitar Hero? To imitate music by easy means. The learning curve for video games is also a hell of a lot easier than real life.

I play guitar and I play Guitar Hero. I play guitar because I like to be able to simply start learning real music. I love GH because its just damn fun period.

Dude, I beat the original GH on Expert in a matter of weeks. That means I beat

after less than a month of playing. Honestly, could ANYBODY pick up a guitar and learn to play Bark At the Moon or Freebird or Jordan or Through the Fire and Flames after a few weeks of learning the instrument?

Dude, the time it takes to get good at video games is relatively miliseconds compared to what it takes to master an instrument, or becoming a military sniper, or perfecting a sport, or whatever.

Ever heard of Rainbow Six: Las Vegas? I love that game and I've spent countless hours playing it. It's to the point where I rarely don't get at least third online. That time could've been spent learning to shoot an air-soft gun or hell a real gun at a range or something, or even getting into top physical shape like the guys in the game. But I'm not trying to be that. I'm just doing it for some fun. Same applies to GH. I'm not trying to be Buckethead or Keith Richards, I'm just looking for something to do for a few minutes or an hour or two. It passes time, it's fun, it's easy to learn, doesn't require spending $400+, and it's fun to do with friends.

All I'm saying is that it's as frustrating to me when someone says "All that time could have been spent learning REAL guitar" as when people criticize you or whoever for not being good at the game, because God knows we all waste time. I sit down and watch TV for 2 hours and realize, "I probably could've been liftin at the gym. But hey, at least I won't be sore tomorrow."

Again, just fun to play and easy to learn.

I taught guitar lessons for many, many years and had lots of students. A handful of them played guitar hero (maybe two or three) and you know what? They were my worst students. They were the instant gratification, don't practice scales/chords/anything, want it all right now type kids. Now I can't level that generalization against everybody that ever picked up the game. I've had lazy students who did'nt ever play guitar hero BUT I thought it was very telling that the kids who complained the most that their fingers hurt, or that whatever they were supposed to practice was too hard, were the same kids that were the most excited when guitar hero came out. They were the kids with the worst sense of entitlement. They wanted to sound like Van Halen with no practice whatsoever and since they had never worked for anything else in their life, guitar hero was a perfect fit.

I thought it was really cool when I was a kid and I practiced a lot and could play along with my favorite records; I'll never forget learning the solo to "Whole Lotta Love" . Most of the kids I taught who were really into music and realized it's a life long journey felt the same way. The spoiled instant gratification kids did nothing but complain and guitar hero was perfect for them. All the other kids wondered why you would do that when you could just play a real one.

Being great at an instrument is a huge sacrifice. When I was in high school, I didn't go out a lot; I played guitar in my room and then in bands. Wouldn't trade it for anything especially a video game!

Also, I've played it and the tracking is terrible. It reminds me of a bad MIDI guitar from the 80's.

I don't know. Personally I think they are kind of silly. Why do it when you can learn to play a real instrument?

Trust me, it takes way longer to learn to play guitar than learn to play Guitar Hero. And as I said, it's getting a lot of people interested in that music and in actually playing guitar. But PJD does bring up a good point about kids who do Guitar Hero, and then try to learn real guitar, and complaining about it not being that easy, but my whole thing is, that if 5 guys who like Guitar Hero then try real guitar, if 1 of those stick with it, then I think that's great. Again, whatever it takes. And as I said, it's great that great music is being heard in a format that originally killed the chances of more people taking up music: the video game.

I think the distinction is pretty clear, not that it doesn't take any skill or practice to excel at Guitar Hero but that is fantasy, actually playing guitar is the reality. I see no harm in it personally and certainly don't see it as another reason today's music sucks. At least the younger generation is getting into rock n' roll via games like Guitar Hero and Rockband.

Trust me, it takes way longer to learn to play guitar than learn to play Guitar Hero. And as I said, it's getting a lot of people interested in that music and in actually playing guitar. But PJD does bring up a good point about kids who do Guitar Hero, and then try to learn real guitar, and complaining about it not being that easy, but my whole thing is, that if 5 guys who like Guitar Hero then try real guitar, if 1 of those stick with it, then I think that's great. Again, whatever it takes. And as I said, it's great that great music is being heard in a format that originally killed the chances of more people taking up music: the video game.

I know, I pay guitar- when I have the time. Guitar hero is just a silly game with a few buttons to press- nothing at all like the real thing- that's why I think it's ridculose. Right now I'm struggling to teach myself Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

I know, I pay guitar- when I have the time. Guitar hero is just a silly game with a few buttons to press- nothing at all like the real thing- that's why I think it's ridculose. Right now I'm struggling to teach myself Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

So what if it nots real? Using my controller to aim a sniper rifle isn't exactly copying the real thing is it? It's not supposed to replicate it truly.