Houston 1977 video

dexter

Back to speculating about the Pontiac Silverdome video.... :D

Well, at least we know that there was a video screen and cameramen at the Pontiac show. There's certainly no lack of visual evidence:

1474.jpg

1478.jpg

77-04-30bz.jpg

77-04-30g.jpg

PN004739.jpg

I'd actually prefer Detroit over Houston since I think it was a better performance. Although I'd certainly be willing to settle for the Atlanta 5/4/73 video. Who know if a video of it still exists, but it was broadcast on large screens.

77-04-30bz.jpg

Well, at least we know that there was a video screen and cameramen at the Pontiac show. There's certainly no lack of visual evidence:

I'd actually prefer Detroit over Houston since I think it was a better performance. Although I'd certainly be willing to settle for the Atlanta 5/4/73 video. Who know if a video of it still exists, but it was broadcast on large screens.

I'm surprised that the floor was not filled with seats. There's a very large runway on each side, where seats could have been placed.

I remember attending The Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Tour at the Cotton Bowl, and from our perch in the end zone stands, I saw the entire field FULL of chairs, and bodies in those chairs (...a 'sea' of heads with hair :) ).

I personally don't know about the quality of the Detroit performance...for that many people, I hope they were very good !

I do know... that the Houston show was a very good show. Zep were "on their game" at that time... the Ft. Worth show the following night... was also very good.

The 1973 show in Dallas... was just average. A good but not an inspiring show, as were the '75 shows in Dallas !!

It's the same old "i want what I can't have" mentality with these vids, ain't it?

The trouble is, we've already had the soundboard from Houston 77 for a few years. And that performance isn't anything to write home about. It's fine, but a Houston 77 video would be interesting for maybe 3 viewings, max. Pontiac may have slightly better value, since it's a generally all-round good performance. But even still, that show certainly wasn't "magic" either. And certainly not good enough that a soundboard for the show wouldn't be more preferable.

The reality is that most people, even the diehards, rarely break out copies of Earls Court 75, Seattle 77, or Knebworth 79 as it is. And those videos were at one point hunted down and sought after like they were literally the damn holy grail. And now? Now that they've been circulating for a few years, they're no longer a big deal whatsoever. For shows that were advertised as having been LEGENDARY, now it's more common to hear comments that both EC and Knebworth have more flaws than they do triumphs, and that Seattle 77 is one of the worst shows that Zep ever gave.

So, if we're gonna dream about the existence of videos, why not focus our thoughts on shows that were actually good ones? Of which, complete Texas Pop 69 footage, Fillmore West 69 footage (if it really exists), Bath 1970, complete Sydney 72 footage...in addition to whatever else was filmed in 1970-72.

I personally don't know about the quality of the Detroit performance...for that many people, I hope they were very good !

I do know... that the Houston show was a very good show. Zep were "on their game" at that time... the Ft. Worth show the following night... was also very good.

Well, to me personally the Houston show isn't very good, sure, Bonzo is drumming excellently and Robert is the unspoken hero, but apart from that there aren't really any stand out moments which you could quote here & there, it's solid but Page is playing below average for 77 which is quite bad, and it certainly gets blown away by both 5/18 and 5/22.

It's the same old "i want what I can't have" mentality with these vids, ain't it?

The trouble is, we've already had the soundboard from Houston 77 for a few years. And that performance isn't anything to write home about. It's fine, but a Houston 77 video would be interesting for maybe 3 viewings, max. Pontiac may have slightly better value, since it's a generally all-round good performance. But even still, that show certainly wasn't "magic" either. And certainly not good enough that a soundboard for the show wouldn't be more preferable.

The reality is that most people, even the diehards, rarely break out copies of Earls Court 75, Seattle 77, or Knebworth 79 as it is. And those videos were at one point hunted down and sought after like they were literally the damn holy grail. And now? Now that they've been circulating for a few years, they're no longer a big deal whatsoever. For shows that were advertised as having been LEGENDARY, now it's more common to hear comments that both EC and Knebworth have more flaws than they do triumphs, and that Seattle 77 is one of the worst shows that Zep ever gave.

So, if we're gonna dream about the existence of videos, why not focus our thoughts on shows that were actually good ones? Of which, complete Texas Pop 69 footage, Fillmore West 69 footage (if it really exists), Bath 1970, complete Sydney 72 footage...in addition to whatever else was filmed in 1970-72.

Pontiac is a really excellent performance all-round, and considering the year, I'll really call it especial & magic, to me, it's the holy grail from later era Zeppelin, an outstanding 77 performance.

Anything new footage wise from 69-72 would be amazing, but there's something else from later era Zeppelin that{s just special. To me that Bath 70 footage remains the holiest of holy grails, but I could probably enjoy more seeing.

Also the footage you cite is really unlikely or all that exist from said shows, they all remain pure speculation, the longest 72 video there could be to me is the Amsterdam footage.

I'm surprised that the floor was not filled with seats. There's a very large runway on each side, where seats could have been placed.

I was on the floor 30 years ago 10 yards from the stage in the center. Lots of pushing and shoving....Robert asked us to settle down after the first song, as i recall. Could look at the stage or the screen with a 30 foot tall Jimmy jammin'. Best rock show I ever saw....or ever will see! Would love to see the video appear. The runways were gone by the time the show started as 10,000 people were general admin on the floor.

As far as the bidding on the Houston show I have No Quarter!

I was on the floor 30 years ago 10 yards from the stage in the center. Lots of pushing and shoving....Robert asked us to settle down after the first song, as i recall. Could look at the stage or the screen with a 30 foot tall Jimmy jammin'. Best rock show I ever saw....or ever will see! Would love to see the video appear. The runways were gone by the time the show started as 10,000 people were general admin on the floor.

As far as the bidding on the Houston show I have No Quarter!

I see now... it was a combo... reserved seats and GA..

Looks like you saw Zep at their best in 1977 !

I disagree MYSELF about not breaking out my dvd's of Earl's Court (both shows that I have 5/24 and 5/25), Seattle 1977 and Knebworth 1979. I may not watch them every night (now) but I do watch them frequently along with some other dvd's that I have in my collection which includes the Firm at the Hammersmith Odeon 1984 (which includes some great bonus footage including the infamous Jimmy Page jam with the Beach Boys on July 4th 1984 in Washington D.C.). Jimmy and the Black Crowes at the Jones Beach arena 2000, and Page/Plant at the RockPalast show (somewhere in Germany, I believe.) I am currently awaiting dvd's of Page/Plant in Buenos Aires and Page/Aerosmith at the Marquee club and the Castle Donnington gig that they jammed together at. So, until something new (officially or unofficially) becomes available I am currently satisfied with my little Zeppelin and Zeppelin related collection of dvd's. Until then I have a great time searching anything LED ZEPPELIN or related (Jimmy Page - Robert Plant - John Paul Jones - John Bonham - Jason Bonham - the Firm - Coverdale/Page, etc... ) whether audio or video on YouTube. There is so much out there on YouTube that you may or may not have ever heard. Believe me, I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years and I still find things on YouTube that I have never heard or have not heard in years and years. Great stuff.

^ Earls court is awesome imo, Knebworth (4-8) is also a great show. Can't say the same for Seattle.. Though it does have its moments.

I would love a video of Houston, however it is obvious from this thread that the show was not filmed. It's one of my favourite shows to listen to tbh, No Quarter is insane.

• 3 weeks later...
A local radio station is playing a 77 Houston show advertised as not commercailly available so this has to be it. Are the previous poor reviews of this show or another? Not sure I know exactly what some are referring to? I saw them in 77 and they were fabulous. How could they be anything but?

Actually listened to shows from that year?

Seeing them is one thing, hearing them another thing.

Archived