The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

And you still sound like a winey ranger fan.........

There are alot of contributing factors as to why they dont sell out. I would discuss but at this point i could care less and only want to discuss the Kings/Devils series and Hockey.

I was talking hockey until you decided to come at me with personal attacks. Do not deny it. I just do not know how a team that is winning cannot sell tickets. It says something about the market. We know places like South Florida and Atlanta are not hockey type regions. But I would certainly expect more from the Devils fan base. And I am not a Rangers fan for the record. This is the last time I talk to you unless you decide to retaliate.

I was talking hockey until you decided to come at me with personal attacks. Do not deny it. I just do not know how a team that is winning cannot sell tickets. It says something about the market. We know places like South Florida and Atlanta are not hockey type regions. But I would certainly expect more from the Devils fan base. And I am not a Rangers fan for the record. This is the last time I talk to you unless you decide to retaliate.

thats ok, ive had my say and will leave it at that

and 2014-2040 when the 100 year anniversary of when the Rangers last won the cup honestly and with dignity in 1940!!! Sorry the 1 in 94 is only a half a cup as they shared the other half with the Edmonton Oilers.

:hysterical:

Yes, but the one in 94' casts a shadow over your 4 cups in the 80's that will never fade. You know this to be true. Its the same shadow that prevets your teams fan base or the assholes over in NJ from filling up your buildings.

post-841-0-33545400-1339343268.jpg

Yes, but the one in 94' casts a shadow over your 4 cups in the 80's that will never fade. You know this to be true. Its the same shadow that prevets your teams fan base or the assholes over in NJ from filling up your buildings.

:blahblah:

Thats fucking hysterical and so typical of a SORE LOSER RANGER fan..............

The ISLANDERS and DEVILS will always be CHAMPS and the rangers will always be CHUMPS!!!

And thats a fact jack! :lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19315766/los-angeles-tv-stations-still-dont-know-anything-about-the-kings

I do not knowif the comments will show up here? But its interesting. I agree that many clueless LA fans are basically jumping on the bandwagon. They do not remember the old Kings. The Gold and the Purple uniforms with the crown on i. I loved those uniforms. Players like Dionne and Taylor that were great and very good. This was a final nobody saw coming. The Kings I had listed as one of my teams to make it but not the Devils this year. The Rangers and Flyers and some other teams were probably better, but Broduer made the difference. I am hoping Quick plays the way he has been, remarkable and the Kings end this damn thinig Monday. It would be great to see them hoist the Cup on home ice. And Let poor Charlie Sheen in if he choses to show up again.

I'm getting that queasy feeling...like here we go once again, getting our hopes up only to have them dashed. I knew I shouldn't have gotten ahead of myself.

But it felt so different this time...up 3-0!!!

I forgot it was the L.A. Kings we're dealing with...the future's uncertain and the end is always near. I believe in institutional memory.

Ok, shake it off...there's still games 6 and 7 and the Kings are still only one win away.

Even with the result, that was a helluva game to watch last night! From the opening face off, it was fast and furious...I nearly had a heart attack during that first 6 or 7 minute uninterrupted stretch of the 1st period. GODDAMN that was exhilarating and stressful at the same time!

I think that first power-play the Devils got was bogus...even the announcers thought that was a cheesy call.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS QUICK DOING?!? As soon as I saw Quick hitting that lazy clear attempt I saw the goal happening before it actually happened. Quick, there's a reason goalies are in the crease...they can't skate and they have no stick skills.

I don't know if it's a bad omen, but Quick's miscue(you could almost score it as an "own goal" or at the very least give Quick an assist) reminded me of a similar gaffe made by Patrick Roy in the playoffs years ago.

My memory is hazy on the exact details and I don't have the time or ability to check the NHL database, but it was when Roy was with the Avalanche and they were playing either Brodeur and the Devils or Hasek and the Red Wings in the playoffs...late 90s or early 2000s. The Avalanche were in a similar position that the Kings are; ahead in the series and seemingly in control. Then Roy made a careless puckhandling error that lead to a goal and Roy and the Avalanche were never the same after that. They lost the game, the momentum, and ultimately the series.

Oh well, Kings fans have waited 45 years...what's another day or two?

Rick, this is twice you've mentioned the lack of support the Kings supposedly have and how the fan base doesn't "deserve" the Stanley Cup. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment.

First of all, the Kings have sold out every game but two this season. The Kings fan base may not be as large as the Lakers or Dodgers, but it is just as passionate, if not more so. I'll guarantee that the average King fan is more knowledgeable about the team and hockey than the Laker fan is about basketball. Everybody who goes to a Kings game is there for the game, while it is a well-known fact that some people go to a Laker game because it is the "thing to do", to ogle the celebrities, etc.

Is the hockey fan base in L.A. as large, percentage-wise, as those back east? No, but then people don't move to L.A. because they love the snow or like hockey. Admittedly, hockey isn't as ingrained culturally in L.A. as it is in the Great White North. But the people that DO love hockey and the Kings are just as rabid as you folks back east. We may be small in number but we're no less hardy and we'll throw down our gloves and scrap and scrape with anyone who says otherwise.

Actually, considering the situation, it is a testament to the pluck of the Kings fan they've been as loyal as they have since AEG took over. Phil Anchultz and AEG have basically been absentee owners...it's a joke. Reporters can never get a word from Phil who hides in Denver. Tim Liewecke has made bungling move after bungling move, and the perception of the entire AEG era is that they are more interested in the L.A. Galaxy and their L.A. Live and Staples Center real estate holdings than they are in the Kings. AEG only bought the Kings because Jerry Buss refused to sell them the Lakers, and it was a way to grease the wheels in getting permission to building Staples Center.

The whole thing stinks and it was thru sheer luck and fortune that the Kings personnel moves worked out this year. But the majority of the AEG reign of the Kings has been a tale of neglect and woe. So the fact that Kings fans still showed up in droves this season, even when it looked like they were going to miss the playoffs, speaks to their passion and devotion.

Hell, if anyone "deserves" to see a Cup hoisted in their lifetime, it is these Kings fans who have, like little Alex the droog, suffered the tortures of the damned. They've suffered...and suffered...

Contrast this with the Dodger fans. Frank McCourt is just as hated amongst sports fans in LA as AEG. Yet, even now with McCourt and his "screaming meanie" wife gone AND the Dodgers in first place, the Dodgers aren't drawing near the numbers that they usually do. I was SHOCKED when we went to the Dodger game on Memorial Day and there were barely 30,000 in attendance.

Anyway, now the Kings have a chance to win the Cup on home ice. It's nervous time.

GO KINGS GO!!!

http://www.cbssports...about-the-kings

I do not knowif the comments will show up here? But its interesting. I agree that many clueless LA fans are basically jumping on the bandwagon. They do not remember the old Kings. The Gold and the Purple uniforms with the crown on i. I loved those uniforms. Players like Dionne and Taylor that were great and very good. This was a final nobody saw coming. The Kings I had listed as one of my teams to make it but not the Devils this year. The Rangers and Flyers and some other teams were probably better, but Broduer made the difference. I am hoping Quick plays the way he has been, remarkable and the Kings end this damn thinig Monday. It would be great to see them hoist the Cup on home ice. And Let poor Charlie Sheen in if he choses to show up again.

Sounds like someone who is losing a wee bit more then their pride :watchingyou:

Forget about Dione and Taylor, what about Kopota, Carter, Brown and there penalty killing which has been unbeievable. whats impressed me most about the Kings is their quickness with the size and strength that they have over the Devils and for the Devils to come back and outhit the Kings like they did in games 4 and 5 totally looked like they took the Kings off their game even though i feel the Kings outplayed the Devils in Game 5. Game 6 is going to be insanely hard hitting. I cant wait! How about you?.

I'm getting that queasy feeling...like here we go once again, getting our hopes up only to have them dashed. I knew I shouldn't have gotten ahead of myself.

But it felt so different this time...up 3-0!!!

I forgot it was the L.A. Kings we're dealing with...the future's uncertain and the end is always near. I believe in institutional memory.

Ok, shake it off...there's still games 6 and 7 and the Kings are still only one win away.

Even with the result, that was a helluva game to watch last night! From the opening face off, it was fast and furious...I nearly had a heart attack during that first 6 or 7 minute uninterrupted stretch of the 1st period. GODDAMN that was exhilarating and stressful at the same time!

I think that first power-play the Devils got was bogus...even the announcers thought that was a cheesy call.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS QUICK DOING?!? As soon as I saw Quick hitting that lazy clear attempt I saw the goal happening before it actually happened. Quick, there's a reason goalies are in the crease...they can't skate and they have no stick skills.

I don't know if it's a bad omen, but Quick's miscue(you could almost score it as an "own goal" or at the very least give Quick an assist) reminded me of a similar gaffe made by Patrick Roy in the playoffs years ago.

My memory is hazy on the exact details and I don't have the time or ability to check the NHL database, but it was when Roy was with the Avalanche and they were playing either Brodeur and the Devils or Hasek and the Red Wings in the playoffs...late 90s or early 2000s. The Avalanche were in a similar position that the Kings are; ahead in the series and seemingly in control. Then Roy made a careless puckhandling error that lead to a goal and Roy and the Avalanche were never the same after that. They lost the game, the momentum, and ultimately the series.

Oh well, Kings fans have waited 45 years...what's another day or two?

Rick, this is twice you've mentioned the lack of support the Kings supposedly have and how the fan base doesn't "deserve" the Stanley Cup. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment.

First of all, the Kings have sold out every game but two this season. The Kings fan base may not be as large as the Lakers or Dodgers, but it is just as passionate, if not more so. I'll guarantee that the average King fan is more knowledgeable about the team and hockey than the Laker fan is about basketball. Everybody who goes to a Kings game is there for the game, while it is a well-known fact that some people go to a Laker game because it is the "thing to do", to ogle the celebrities, etc.

Is the hockey fan base in L.A. as large, percentage-wise, as those back east? No, but then people don't move to L.A. because they love the snow or like hockey. Admittedly, hockey isn't as ingrained culturally in L.A. as it is in the Great White North. But the people that DO love hockey and the Kings are just as rabid as you folks back east. We may be small in number but we're no less hardy and we'll throw down our gloves and scrap and scrape with anyone who says otherwise.

Actually, considering the situation, it is a testament to the pluck of the Kings fan they've been as loyal as they have since AEG took over. Phil Anchultz and AEG have basically been absentee owners...it's a joke. Reporters can never get a word from Phil who hides in Denver. Tim Liewecke has made bungling move after bungling move, and the perception of the entire AEG era is that they are more interested in the L.A. Galaxy and their L.A. Live and Staples Center real estate holdings than they are in the Kings. AEG only bought the Kings because Jerry Buss refused to sell them the Lakers, and it was a way to grease the wheels in getting permission to building Staples Center.

The whole thing stinks and it was thru sheer luck and fortune that the Kings personnel moves worked out this year. But the majority of the AEG reign of the Kings has been a tale of neglect and woe. So the fact that Kings fans still showed up in droves this season, even when it looked like they were going to miss the playoffs, speaks to their passion and devotion.

Hell, if anyone "deserves" to see a Cup hoisted in their lifetime, it is these Kings fans who have, like little Alex the droog, suffered the tortures of the damned. They've suffered...and suffered...

Contrast this with the Dodger fans. Frank McCourt is just as hated amongst sports fans in LA as AEG. Yet, even now with McCourt and his "screaming meanie" wife gone AND the Dodgers in first place, the Dodgers aren't drawing near the numbers that they usually do. I was SHOCKED when we went to the Dodger game on Memorial Day and there were barely 30,000 in attendance.

Anyway, now the Kings have a chance to win the Cup on home ice. It's nervous time.

Great post Strider! I totally get the "nervous time", and I hope you enjoy it as much as you are nervous..... The Kings have a GREAT team but never count out a Hall of Fame goalie like Brodeur and the Devils have made some successfull adjustments in games 4 and 5 not just in play but with personel. Also, the Devils have gotten better in the last 3 series as the series went on where the Kings didnt even look like they were tested but also to their credit bcz they ARE that good as they were averaging 2 goal victories in their prior 3 rounds where they faced the 1,2 & 3 seed! Thats pretty impressive if you ask me!

Its going to be a war out there tomorrow night and i do hope the KINGS win it on their ice bcz they do deserve it as so do their fans!!!

Its going to be a war out there tomorrow night and i do hope the KINGS win it on their ice bcz they do deserve it as so do their fans!!!

Thank you, kind sir, for those words of support! That is very sporting of you. In fact, thanks to Rick and all the other East Coasters showing a little love for the Kings!

As a Los Angeles native, I'm used to getting nothing but grief and smack-talk from East Coasters...I've heard enough "BEAT L.A.!" chants to last 10 lifetimes.

Going into this Final series, my main concerns about the Kings were their anemic power-play, their forechecking, and how Quick would measure up against the great Wall of Brodeur.

Wgile Quick started the Cup final strong, these last two games have me wondering if the Devils haven't cracked his armour a bit.

Meanwhile, Brodeur is seemingly getting stronger and stronger. These last two games, the Kings had breakaway chances where against any other goalie, the Kings would have won the game and the Cup by now. But Brodeur STONED them cold.

Don't you worry though, zeplives66, I am ENJOYING these playoffs as well as suffering nervously through them.

After the Gretzky era fizzled out without a Cup, I resigned myself to the possibility I would never see my home team win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime. Yeah, the Ducks won the Cup in 2007, but that wasn't the same.

Rick, I know you're confused about which teams I support and why...don't worry, I'll explain it all to ya soon.

So anyway...thanks for the support lads.

GO KINGS GO!!!

I have liked the Kings since the late sixties as well as the Blues and Canucks. There are only three teams outside of my Sabres that I like. Kings, Blues, Canucks. Period. I do not hate the Devils. I only use the word hate with the Flyers, Ottawa, Montreal. I used to watch Marcel Dionne and the old Kings. Have always liked them and certainly was disgusted to see them blow that series to Montreal in 93. IMO that was the worst team to ever win a Cup. Roy did it all on his own. The Kings were the better team with Gretsky but Roy robbed them. Just like we were robbed by parent in 1975. We outshot them on the average of 47-18 and lost 1-0.

Speaking of the Sabres, I found this list today...these are the 5 NHL teams that have gone the longest without winning the Stanley Cup:

1. L.A. Kings 44 years

2. St. Louis Blues 44 years

3. Toronto Maple Leafs 44 years

4. Buffalo Sabres 41 years

5. Vancouver Canucks 41 years

Speaking of the Sabres, I found this list today...these are the 5 NHL teams that have gone the longest without winning the Stanley Cup:

1. L.A. Kings 44 years

2. St. Louis Blues 44 years

3. Toronto Maple Leafs 44 years

4. Buffalo Sabres 41 years

5. Vancouver Canucks 41 years

But not fair to compare Buffalo and Vancouver as they have not been in the league as long as those other teams. especially the Leafs I would expect the Sabres and Blues to be very good next year

:blahblah:

Thats fucking hysterical and so typical of a SORE LOSER RANGER fan..............

The ISLANDERS and DEVILS will always be CHAMPS and the rangers will always be CHUMPS!!!

And thats a fact jack! :lol:

Well, its refreshing to debate w/ an Islanders fan. I haven’t done that since my wife and I moved down here 9 years ago…. what I don’t think many hockey fans realize in the states , is that arguments like this in person result in some serious fighting in the stands during a game on the east coast, and I would think the same is true with our friendly neighbors to the north. I would imagine Leaf fans brawl with the Habs faithful as much as Rangers / Flyers or Islander Rangers fans do. Maybe it’s just a north east thing ?

Archived