The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I actually think that any time missed due to lockout will wipe out the whole schedule, except the winter classic, I forgot where I heard that. And I remember Ehrhoff being a big deal, but it shouldn't have been, that team was HORRIBLE at dealing with adversity, they just curled into a shell for a few months and drained away all playoff hopes. However, I don't think that will happen with THIS team, like Lucic getting away with hitting Miller wont happen again.

And the Sabres success after last lockout had everything to do with rule changes benefitting small, quick hockey teams, and they took full advantage while slow, lumbering teams like Philly were stuck in the mud...but I don't think similar rule changes will help us as much, because, quite frankly, our team isn't that fast anymore, aside from Ennis and Gerbe (who I don't think should have a roster spot, but that's another argument.)

I hope you're right about Myers. He needs to get the physicality from the Philly series back...I have fears of him not becoming quite what we expected, but simply a taller Leopold...

He can shoot the puck well (Myers). He is not anything like Leopold. But Leopold can be a good offensive defenseman. they Sabres actually made a huge run and made up a ton of ground and fell just short due to the injury to Erhoff. I was at the Sunday afternoon game vs the Penguins when we beat them 6-1. That was the start of the run. Just because they fell 3 pts short and they had alot of good excuses for why that happened, is no reason to think they will not be a force. Do not forget they won the division the year before. I say they win it again this year. Boston has no Thomas. They will pay for that. Ottawa was a surprise and I do not think they can do it again. Toronto is Toronto. Montreal should finish last. I would assume they would simply pick up the season where it was already scheduled once its settled. Do noot forget making a schedule is a very tough thing. Many of these venues share space with the NBA and they cannot just re do the schedule that easily. They KIings for an example must share the Staples Center with the Lakers and Clippers. So if they were to change the existing schedule it would be a nightmare. Lets assume they miss 20 games. If that happens and they pick up where it left off, I predict Buffalo will have the best record in the NHL. why? Because the first 17 games or so are a bitch. If they do not play them, they miss Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly 4 times, etc. When the next meeting takes place, I assume next week or sooner, they had best go in there with the mind set they are wearing fucking parachutes and the ground is less than 50 feet away. The NHL cannot afford this to happen.They must settle this. Don Cherry says he believes its going to happen and two months of the season will be lost. I hope Don is wrong.

I think the fact that they won't play Philly as much as, say, Ottawa will, is enough to prompt them to change schedules. I heard someone say on the radio or NHL network or something that if any games at all are missed, bye bye schedule the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Who could have imagined the stubborness that has come out? I am just disgusted with both sides. Yes, the players too. They have to realize their limitations. Like Clint said "a man has to know his limitations". Wake up Bettman and Fehr. Fucking right now. You are screwing us fans. And your not even pretty. Where is my kiss? I like being kissed when I being fucked.

Who could have imagined the stubborness that has come out? I am just disgusted with both sides. Yes, the players too. They have to realize their limitations. Like Clint said "a man has to know his limitations". Wake up Bettman and Fehr. Fucking right now. You are screwing us fans. And your not even pretty. Where is my kiss? I like being kissed when I being fucked.

I could have imagined it. As soon as I saw Fehr was head of the players, I knew it wouldn't be pretty.

Looks like the 3 minor leauge teams here in the metroplex will be getting the money I would have spent with the Stars.

People watch the Dallas Stars?!?

I could have imagined it. As soon as I saw Fehr was head of the players, I knew it wouldn't be pretty.

People watch the Dallas Stars?!?

LOL.......there is a core of fans that go to the games regardless of how well the team plays, when they are making the playoffs the team gets more attention. Aside from football its a winners town down here, the better the teams record, the more tickets sold.

Transplants from the north, like myself, find it odd to see an NHL arena half full......Lets use a team like the Sabers as an example,

in half of the NHL markets here in the states they would draw only two thirds of what they do in Buffalo, why.....its simple.....its because the Sabers suck, and have never won a cup. :)

Lets go Rangers :)

Thats NY Rangers....... I too have blind faith in a hockey team who all too often falls short of the ultimate prize.

LOL.......there is a core of fans that go to the games regardless of how well the team plays, when they are making the playoffs the team gets more attention. Aside from football its a winners town down here, the better the teams record, the more tickets sold.

Transplants from the north, like myself, find it odd to see an NHL arena half full......Lets use a team like the Sabers as an example,

in half of the NHL markets here in the states they would draw only two thirds of what they do in Buffalo, why.....its simple.....its because the Sabers suck, and have never won a cup. :)

Lets go Rangers :)

Thats NY Rangers....... I too have blind faith in a hockey team who all too often falls short of the ultimate prize.

We will see how much they suck when they bury the Rangers. The Rangers won it in 94 and if you go back before that you have to go way back to 1940. They suck. and their success rate is worse considering the time they have been in the league.

Its not easy to win when you GM spent 10 years putting together an all star team of should be retired players.

On a sabers note, I can't wait to see Ott play in the east!

Buffalo has had many great teams. We have not been in the league nearly as along as the big market Rangers. Our day is coming soon.

Gary Bettman is an asshole. Donald Fehr is an even bigger asshole. The giant sucking sound you hear is the NHL season disappearing up the Big Black Hole created when these two assholes collided.

Agree totally Strider. I cant believe these two idiots do not realize what is at stake.

Since we commoners have to live with cutbacks, wage freezes, altered contracts, high gas prices, rising food costs due to droughts ...it takes ever bit of strength in me not to put my fist through my tv when I read about the NHL culture and their fantastic salaries,etc etc...

I can't believe there is no ombudsman that can intervene in this lockout ..make both sides get back to work and stop this nonsense.....

Juliet :witch:

PS I'm preparing lunch for Gary...I got the recipe from Hecate....ya know the one with eye of newt...toe of frog...wing of bat and tongue of dog..it's a real crowd pleaser :hysterical:

Since we commoners have to live with cutbacks, wage freezes, altered contracts, high gas prices, rising food costs due to droughts ...it takes ever bit of strength in me not to put my fist through my tv when I read about the NHL culture and their fantastic salaries,etc etc...

I can't believe there is no ombudsman that can intervene in this lockout ..make both sides get back to work and stop this nonsense.....

Juliet :witch:

PS I'm preparing lunch for Gary...I got the recipe from Hecate....ya know the one with eye of newt...toe of frog...wing of bat and tongue of dog..it's a real crowd pleaser :hysterical:

In fairness though, hockey players are not payed enough in comarison to other major sports. Baseball players make alot of money and are at far less risk of serious injury. Hell, hockey players are getting rammed into the glass and losing their teeth and getting pounded 82 games. Its just crazy. The NBA plays 82 and its not nearly as physical. You just have to run full court and have some endurance. But hockey like football takes its toll on your body. Bettman is a dickhead and always has been. The Sabres were justified when they bitched about that Cup winning Goal by Hull. If you cant stick to the rules in a game that means so much, you have to expect trouble down the road. The man sucks. We have to get him out. But how?

• 2 weeks later...

Strider. Please.

:hysterical:

Actually I kind of forgot which team won the Cup so it was a nice reminder. The NHL sure is doing a great job sliding in relevance. When the NBA was threatened with a season-long lockout and then came back by Christmas, it was met with great enthusiasm and record ratings. The NHL can only dream of people giving a shit as much as they did before the lockout. It took them so long to get where they did - tv deals, teams in non-hockey markets, ratings, fan bases - only to risk taking a big step back. We'll see, but as a diehard hockey fan, I don't really care it's not on. Basketball is. Go Raps.

:hysterical:

Actually I kind of forgot which team won the Cup so it was a nice reminder. The NHL sure is doing a great job sliding in relevance. When the NBA was threatened with a season-long lockout and then came back by Christmas, it was met with great enthusiasm and record ratings. The NHL can only dream of people giving a shit as much as they did before the lockout. It took them so long to get where they did - tv deals, teams in non-hockey markets, ratings, fan bases - only to risk taking a big step back. We'll see, but as a diehard hockey fan, I don't really care it's not on. Basketball is. Go Raps.

I am hoping they fix it fast. Its going to be a long winter with no hockey. I cant imagine it. The only good thing could be, after the last one Buffalo was the best team.

I am hoping they fix it fast. Its going to be a long winter with no hockey. I cant imagine it. The only good thing could be, after the last one Buffalo was the best team.

I'd be very surprised if they did. Get warm & comfortable, Rick, it'll be a cold, lean winter :beer:

Archived