Coverdale/Page

Cat

It's important to remember that production values represent and document the era in which they were used. It really is unfair to compare them to other eras. I guarantee that the values that you don't like will be in vogue again in the future. There was a time when the whole psychedelic era fell from vogue, and people scoffed at fuzz guitar and such, but now that era of music lives in perpetual infamy. Every era is what it is, and although you may not be fond of it, you should try to view it as a snapshot in time, and enjoy it for what it is. It really is unfair to compare the styles and values of one musical era against another era. It's a bit like blaming someone for aging and being less effective than a younger counterpart. These are things that are beyond control. Acceptance of era styles and values allows for albums like ITTOD to be loved as a documentary of its time. It was cutting edge when it came out, and as you know, I still love it. Same with Coverdale Page. I get the issues that you refer to, but I accept them, look deeper than the superficial, and move quickly toward appreciation of the prowess behind the music.

Okay, whipper snapper? :)

Great point and reminds me of how after funk burned out in the late 70's, no one used a Wah on guitar until Slash brought that baby back on Sweet Child O Mine. That for me was a great day, the funky sexy wah affect coming back and kicking the shit out of all that sterile 80's shredder bullshit. One good, slithery note through a wah beats some asshole sweep picking any day IMO.

I also feel dismissing CP as late 80's is disingenuous. Whisper a Prayer for the Dying is like Zeppelin meets Metallica and Over Now was grunge if there ever was Grunge.

The Coverdale/Page album just celebrated it's 20th anniversary last week. You only toured together with Jimmy Page in Japan for this album. Did any of the shows ever get recorded? Is there a live album hiding somewhere in the vaults?

DC: No... we were offered an obscene amount of money to video and record, but JP wasn't interested... so... we didn't do it... We made all the decisions 50/50 and honoured each other's decisions without question... as it should be with partners... I have a TON of private video footage which hopefully will see the light of day sometime...

The Coverdale/Page album just celebrated it's 20th anniversary last week. You only toured together with Jimmy Page in Japan for this album. Did any of the shows ever get recorded? Is there a live album hiding somewhere in the vaults?

DC: No... we were offered an obscene amount of money to video and record, but JP wasn't interested... so... we didn't do it... We made all the decisions 50/50 and honoured each other's decisions without question... as it should be with partners... I have a TON of private video footage which hopefully will see the light of day sometime...

Jimmy's decision not to record them must have been influenced by his knowledge that he and Robert would be collaborating soon after. I don't get the impression Jimmy informed David prior to or during the tour that the end was quite near. On the other hand, it's quite possible he did tell David but asked that he not tell anyone else (the label, the management, etc) until after the tour.

Edited by SteveAJones

I got a video of one of the Jap shows and I must admit that although the album wasn't for me, The live show was top-notch. Jimmy

Had no problems slaying the Whitesnake songs and giving total justice to the Zep stuff. Coverdale , although certainly not Plant,

sounded very good and could hit the high notes Plant had to abandon practically 20 yrs ago. The album songs sounded far more

energetic live. Had the band hit the states, eventually IMO the shows would be well attended.

• 3 weeks later...

This cd, so over-produced to me. 72 tracks for a song like Feeling Hot? How could Page have written that? It boggles the mind. I do think there are good parts here and there in the songs, like in Absolution Blues. But first there's that inane intro, and the cheesy Aerosmith-like guitar riff right after it, its too hard to sit through. And that drum sound, it arches over the whole album, way too brash and splashly, like an annoyance making it difficult to appreciate the occasional good musical moment. Take easy Does It. Thats a good song, atmospheric, vibey, Coverdale even sounds good on it. Then the super cannon drums kick in, immediate downgrade. Now, if they had done that album with Butch Vig, those songs would have been a lot better. Like Dark Lord says, Over Now is grunge. Vig would have made that killer.

Is there anyone else out there that is crazy about this album? I have to admit, I could take it or leave it for the first 20 years that I owned it, but I realized long ago that we are never going to hear anything new from Jimmy, and I started going into the back catalogue. Damn, apart from Hot Tonight, this is one killer disc through and through. Even the obnoxious David Coverdale sounds great, and Page's guitar army is back with a Tony Iommi edge to the playing. Everything is here if you take the time to listen carefully, and who knew that Jimmy was such a good harmonica player? Outstanding. Recorded partly in my town, and an album that I now own on vinyl, cassette, and CD. One of Jimmy's most melodic solo's is evident in Take me for a Little While, and I can't get enough of that track. It's nice to re-discover an album that never really registered in the past, and now hits a home run.

You know Dark Lord, just when I'm feeling all correct and solid on my post, I read this from you. While I'm obviously not a fan of the project, I also got no impression from Kashmir for about 15 years after 1st hearing it. Same with the studio version of Rock and Roll, still no real impression there, seems flat and non-engaging. Years later though, Kashmir finally jumped out at me. Who knows, I could one day have some appreciation for this CD. I'm curious, what is your favourite moment on this CD? Least favourite? For me, favourite is in Don't Leave Me This Way, when Page comes in with hard funk (under Coverdale "But you keep on giving love"), least favourite is the guitar sound and riff on the beginning of Shake My Tree.

You know Dark Lord, just when I'm feeling all correct and solid on my post, I read this from you. While I'm obviously not a fan of the project, I also got no impression from Kashmir for about 15 years after 1st hearing it. Same with the studio version of Rock and Roll, still no real impression there, seems flat and non-engaging. Years later though, Kashmir finally jumped out at me. Who knows, I could one day have some appreciation for this CD. I'm curious, what is your favourite moment on this CD? Least favourite? For me, favourite is in Don't Leave Me This Way, when Page comes in with hard funk (under Coverdale "But you keep on giving love"), least favourite is the guitar sound and riff on the beginning of Shake My Tree.

Hey brother. Well, I really like most of the moments on the album the same, but the worst moment is certainly "Feeling Hot". The music, the lyrics, and everything about the song is detestable (IMHO). I guess the things that make me smile are Jimmy's harmonica on two tracks, both the ballads (although some people don't like them), and Prayer for the Dying. Generally, I really like it all, with the one exception that I described. Singing about testicles and genitals is borderline neanderthal and a cut below what I would like to have heard from Page and Coverdale.

Edited by The Dark Lord

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Lord, I'm curious to hear what your opinion is: which version of "Shake My Tree" do you like more: Coverdale Page or Page/Plant?

Personally I'm a bigger fan of Page/Plant's version solely for the reason that I prefer Plant's voice over Coverdale's. Both versions Jimmy smokes it live, though!

Dark Lord, I'm curious to hear what your opinion is: which version of "Shake My Tree" do you like more: Coverdale Page or Page/Plant?

Personally I'm a bigger fan of Page/Plant's version solely for the reason that I prefer Plant's voice over Coverdale's. Both versions Jimmy smokes it live, though!

Hey brother. I aspire to your logic, and agree fully with the observation about the voices involved, but I'll still take Coverdale. In this example, Plant is the "Coverversion", and he offers a fairly uninspired rendition. Coverdale, for all his faults, is the real deal here, irrespective of the fact that Page crafted to foundation of the track back in the Zep days. :) Edited by The Dark Lord

Hey brother. I aspire to your logic, and agree fully with the observation about the voices involved, but I'll still take Coverdale. In this example, Plant is the "Coverversion", and he offers a fairly uninspired rendition. Coverdale, for all his faults, is the real deal here, irrespective of the fact that Page crafted to foundation of the track back in the Zep days. :)

Very fair logic DL, can't argue with that! I bet Coverdale's voice will eventually warm up to me the more I listen to it :yesnod:

I gotta say that this song's my favorite off the album for the moment. No doubt that'll change every other day or so :whistling:

Very fair logic DL, can't argue with that! I bet Coverdale's voice will eventually warm up to me the more I listen to it :yesnod:

I gotta say that this song's my favorite off the album for the moment. No doubt that'll change every other day or so :whistling:

The key to liking Coverdale Page is learning to be accepting of Coverdale's voice and his sometimes stupid lyrics. Once you can deal with that, the rest nicely falls into place. I'll never be a Coverdale fan, but I now quite like his contribution to the album, apart from that one song, which will suck in perpetuity.

Totally going off topic here, but agree about Rock and Roll. the studio version really does nothing at all for me.

The key to liking Coverdale Page is learning to be accepting of Coverdale's voice and his sometimes stupid lyrics. Once you can deal with that, the rest nicely falls into place. I'll never be a Coverdale fan, but I now quite like his contribution to the album, apart from that one song, which will suck in perpetuity.

I will never "get" Coverdale, I hate his whole demeanor and his voice does nothing for me at all. Jimmy plays some really great stuff on that album though.

Very true! I'll give their stuff some more listening. Kinda forgot about the album for a while so it's about time for some revisiting.

I think it's great that Page fans can squeeze every possible drop out of Coverdale/Page and the Firm stuff. Certainly the guitar stuff

on the Coverdale thing was long overdue. Lord knows, I tried, tried, and tried some more to really get into this stuff. Live, however,

CP totally kicked ass, Page even kicking ass on the Whitesnake tunes. Ridiculous that the band never made it to the states. Word

of mouth would have filled the arenas sure enough.

I liked Coverdale for 3 weeks maybe, he certainly had exceptional voice but then I read interviews with him and watched coupe of live shows
and I absolutely hated his in-between songs banter, his posing and gestures.

I dare you to watch the whole thing.

He is barely singing, leaving it to audience and band, touching his crotch in suggestive way, biting his finger, drawing circle with his finger around
his nipple, wearing open shirt showing his man-boobs. His screams are weak, whole show is embarassing, looks like parody.
It’s hard for me to take this man seriously, He wrote some of the worst songs of 80s and 90s, lyrically he is one trick pony and it’s not even a good trick:

Love ain’t no stranger
Looking for love
Love an affection
Love and treat me right
Love don’t mean a thing
Love man
Love to keep me warm
Love will set you free
Keep on giving me love
I need love
Lay down your love
Give me all your love
Guilty of love
A fool in love
Ain’t no love In the heart of the city
All for love
All In the name of love
Lovehunter
Need your love so Bad
The deeper the love
The time is right for love

And songs like:
Slide it In
Slip Of The Tongue
Spit It Out

Kitten got Claws

Feeling Hot
Are utterly horrible

His songwriting ability is non-existing, you would have thought he gets better with time but no, his new songs sound the same, he sacrificed his blues roots
for money and fame, his band sounds plastic. In last interview he said, he's going to retire "Big Rock Stuff" because "You know, you can only tune ‘Still of the Night’ down so far” but it's the first time I've heard him being so humble, it was usually "The best is yet to come" or "I'm at my peak right now, i've never sounded better".

My allergy to DC have nothing to do with Robert Plant.

Edited by Gabrielle

I liked Coverdale for 3 weeks maybe, he certainly had exceptional voice but then I read interviews with him and watched coupe of live shows

and I absolutely hated his in-between songs banter, his posing and gestures.

I dare you to watch the whole thing.

He is barely singing, leaving it to audience and band, touching his crotch in suggestive way, biting his finger, drawing circle with his finger around

his nipple, wearing open shirt showing his man-boobs. His screams are weak, whole show is embarassing, looks like parody.

It’s hard for me to take this man seriously, He wrote some of the worst songs of 80s and 90s, lyrically he is one trick pony and it’s not even a good trick: Love ain’t no stranger

Looking for loveLove an affectionLove and treat me rightLove don’t mean a thingLove manLove to keep me warmLove will set you free

Keep on giving me love

I need love

Lay down your love

Give me all your love

Guilty of love

A fool in love

Ain’t no love In the heart of the city

All for love

All In the name of loveLovehunter

Need your love so Bad

The deeper the love

The time is right for loveAnd songs like:Slide it InSlip Of The Tongue

Spit It Out

Kitten got ClawsFeeling HotAre utterly horrible

His songwriting ability is non-existing, you would have thought he gets better with time but no, his new songs sound the same, he sacrificed his blues roots

for money and fame, his band sounds plastic. In last interview he said, he's going to retire "Big Rock Stuff" because "You know, you can only tune ‘Still of the Night’ down so far” but it's the first time I've heard him being so humble, it was usually "The best is yet to come" or "I'm at my peak right now, i've never sounded better".

My allergy to DC have nothing to do with Robert Plant.

I have to agree with you there. Coverdale can dispicable on stage, playing to the lowest common denominator in human nature. He can be totally nauseating, but sometimes he actually acts reasonably okay.

Coverdale sucks always did always will. If it were in the cards for Zeppelin to have one last real hurrah and put out one more great album it should have been with this material and included Jones. If they had put this album out with Robert and Jones it would have been killer and to this day it would have been a fav Zeppelin album. Instead, we got Jimmy, who is playing very well but certainly going through the motions with Coverdale. This was a missed opportunity to do a true comeback album. The unledded stuff pales in comparison to what could have been.

Anyone can have a bad gig or even a string of bad gigs - Some context would be nice, like was he ill? Was this the end of a tour? Or was it the 5th night in a row? Or this simply one song that he can't sing because the range is way the fuck up in the sky?

Well, I've been reading Deep Purple message board (Whitesnake forum is so heavily moderated that you won't find one negative post about DC,

who used to write there), people there are more versed in DC and they were saying that Coverdale started being spotty live since 1997 and rarely good since 2006.

There were also some accusations of lip-syncing in 2008:

David has always sung this way. His microphone has an extremely high input level, which makes it possible that the voice is still heard even from a huge distance.”

Yeah, sounds legit, there were supposedly some pre-recorded tracks (not only backing), people were throwing beers at him and wanted their money back.

I've watched some recent shows and they were atrocious, new songs and ballads sounded good but that's given. The only worse singers that come to my mind are:

1. David Lee Roth (who was never good singer but decent lyricist and good showman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7iJ8Kcicg

Since we are on LZ forum listen to 11:30 – 15:00

It’s an interview from 2013, David used Robert as example of singer who got fat and lost voice

(in opposite to him), then program host plays VH tune in which DLR sounds horrible.

2. Paul Stanley (who was good singer but bad lyricist and decent showman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIz1Uescse8

during this show he says to Gene that it's easy song

There are singers around their age, who can still deliver a good show (Alice Cooper, Steven Tyler, Glenn Hughes, Paul Rodgers) but in my opinion David Coverdale

is not one of them. He is lucky that his young band can sing the choruses. I don't think that making C/P II would make any of them favour.

Expectations would be high and the result might not live up to them.

Edited by Gabrielle