Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Coverdale/Page

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Jimmy Page made a decision to play well so he could impress fans of Adrian Vandenberg , Steve Vai and Whitesnake? Probably not.

More comic relief?

Amazing how little credit and respect we can muster for JP here.

That is not what I said and anyone with an iq over 50 would see that.

 

I know, how about you go and be a dick somewhere else. Your lack of manners and common sense is obvious.. troll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I didn't get that at all either.  He made a good point and I'm sure Jimmy had professional pride and wanted to impress.  Of course he did.   Japanese audiences  are  extremely attentive and discerning.  

 

Please contribute positively or don't bother.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that they would have played any WS or Zep material. I enjoyed the album, but I think part of it is you have to be a Purple / WS fan, which I am, like it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Rover 75 said:

I doubt that they would have played any WS or Zep material. I enjoyed the album, but I think part of it is you have to be a Purple / WS fan, which I am, like it all.

Have you heard about the Japan shows they did ??

if you haven't, go to YouTube immediately and watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IpMan said:

That is not what I said and anyone with an iq over 50 would see that.

 

I know, how about you go and be a dick somewhere else. Your lack of manners and common sense is obvious.. troll.

Gimme a break. You spoke your mind, now step back and let me speak mine. 

That's exactly what you said. Man up and stand behind your words. 

This forum supports plenty of raggin' on the '77 tour, ITTOD, the  '80 tour, biggest fails, etc. And endless groundless speculations about decisions the band members made during the Zep years and after. The latest '77 thread went from a tribute to "why '77 sucks" in less than one page.

There's surely a little corner of space in this forum for a fan to call bullshit on bullshit.

Very recently, i'v seen you disrespect the skills of JP and Keith Richards. Who's really spending more time being a dick here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Have you heard about the Japan shows they did ??

if you haven't, go to YouTube immediately and watch.

DEF!  If you haven't, you owe it to yourself.  there were some amazing shows and Page was on fire.  Coverdale was very good, I know he gets a bum rap in some corners, but he was very good and really trying to be his own man and not mimic Plant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Gimme a break. You spoke your mind, now step back and let me speak mine. 

That's exactly what you said. Man up and stand behind your words. 

This forum supports plenty of raggin' on the '77 tour, ITTOD, the  '80 tour, biggest fails, etc. And endless groundless speculations about decisions the band members made during the Zep years and after. The latest '77 thread went from a tribute to "why '77 sucks" in less than one page.

There's surely a little corner of space in this forum for a fan to call bullshit on bullshit.

Very recently, i'v seen you disrespect the skills of JP and Keith Richards. Who's really spending more time being a dick here?

You, you are definitely the dick. Without a doubt, and a very thick one at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

DEF!  If you haven't, you owe it to yourself.  there were some amazing shows and Page was on fire.  Coverdale was very good, I know he gets a bum rap in some corners, but he was very good and really trying to be his own man and not mimic Plant.

So true, these Japan shows are amazing and Page's playing is stellar.

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, Flares said:

You can see why Plant thinks he's a pretentious tosser.

That would be the pot calling the kettle black!

Robert had a problem with David arguably becoming the biggest star in rock circa 1990 with a mega-successful album and tour, and then collaborating with Jimmy Page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

DEF!  If you haven't, you owe it to yourself.  there were some amazing shows and Page was on fire.  Coverdale was very good, I know he gets a bum rap in some corners, but he was very good and really trying to be his own man and not mimic Plant.

To this day I wonder if Jimmy ever told David prior to the tour that their days were numbered. Jimmy and Robert convened three months prior to that tour and had already agreed to collaborate on the MTV Unledded project. Neither Jimmy nor David have discussed the impact of that decision on this tour, at least not publicly. Some say it seemed like they "performed well, but separately". Another more recent example of this would be Scott Weiland with Velvet Revolver when they all knew the writing was on the wall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Badgeholder Still said:

Jimmy Page made a decision to play well so he could impress fans of Adrian Vandenberg , Steve Vai and Whitesnake? Probably not.

More comic relief?

Amazing how little credit and respect we can muster for JP here.

Okay, I'm missing something here.  Jimmy Page took the necessary steps to insure that his guitar playing during the Coverdale/Page tour lived up to his legend.  Why is it disrespectful to state the obvious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

That would be the pot calling the kettle black!

Robert had a problem with David arguably becoming the biggest star in rock circa 1990 with a mega-successful album and tour, and then collaborating with Jimmy Page. 

I doubt many people would call Plant pretentious. He is one of the most down to earth rock legends out there. So I don't get the pot calling the kettle bit.

Plant's loathing for Coverdale, poodle rock and all the Zep imitators started way before the Page-Coverdale collaboration (just check out his interviews from the late 80s).

I agree there was a bit of jealousy in there from Plant's side, but he always thought Coverdale was a tosser and talked like some faux-Shakespearean twat from way back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flares said:

I doubt many people would call Plant pretentious. He is one of the most down to earth rock legends out there. So I don't get the pot calling the kettle bit.

Plant's loathing for Coverdale, poodle rock and all the Zep imitators started way before the Page-Coverdale collaboration (just check out his interviews from the late 80s).

I agree there was a bit of jealousy in there from Plant's side, but he always thought Coverdale was a tosser and talked like some faux-Shakespearean twat from way back.

 

Well, come to think of it the mega-successful Whitesnake album I'm thinking of was released circa 1987. 

David found Robert's jabs to be rather uncool, given Robert had enjoyed David's hospitality on occasion in the past.

I'm glad they managed to work thru it eventually.

Edited by SteveAJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Have you heard about the Japan shows they did ??

if you haven't, go to YouTube immediately and watch.

Cool, I'll go check them out.

And to Flares, nobody would call Plant pretentious? Really? I don't wanna get into a big discussion about it, I think others have said enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

Cool, I'll go check them out.

And to Flares, nobody would call Plant pretentious? Really? I don't wanna get into a big discussion about it, I think others have said enough.

Yes, after all, it was Robert who famously shouted on the balcony of the Riot House, "I am a golden god!" Nothing pretentious there. But, this was a man in his 20's on the top of the world, I think a wee bit of slack should be allowed in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes, after all, it was Robert who famously shouted on the balcony of the Riot House, "I am a golden god!" Nothing pretentious there. But, this was a man in his 20's on the top of the world, I think a wee bit of slack should be allowed in this case.

+1.  I don't understand Plant's hostility towards Coverdale, it's not as if he was some punk kid poser who just appeared during the execrable era of hair metal, Coverdale made some great music (with Blackmore of course) with Deep Purple during Zep's heyday.  Sure he can be pompous, but whatever, he's well within acceptable limits for a rock star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

+1.  I don't understand Plant's hostility towards Coverdale

Midlife crisis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Midlife crisis. 

 

More like Coverdale being a shallow poodle rocker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flares said:

More like Coverdale being a shallow poodle rocker.

Of course. :rolleyes:

David had just perfected the very same image Robert was seeking to attain for himself, and this had a hell of a lot to do with it!

Do you know why Robert sacked his band in October 1985? In his own words: "...their menopausal rumblings...."

Mid-life crisis, vanity and ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Midlife crisis. 

I would agree. I don't get the hostility towards Coverdale, I enjoy his music, not everyone has to, so don't flame me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Of course. :rolleyes:

David had just perfected the very same image Robert was seeking to attain for himself, and this had a hell of a lot to do with it!

Do you know why Robert sacked his band in October 1985? In his own words: "...their menopausal rumblings...."

Mid-life crisis, vanity and ego.

I agree that Plant had a mid-life crisis. He did an MTV special in 1993 with his FON's band - rehearsals and loose interviews - and it was cringe worthy. Plant mincing around trying to impress his young band and acting half his age. It was while he was supporting Kravitz and his commercial popularity had nosedived. Within months Plant was back with Page again. Anyway, my point is that his disdain towards Coverdale was not really connected to his mid-life crisis, it was more that he detested that sort of glib AOR rock and the shallow lookalikes and Zep mimics. Remember, Plant was an archetype; Coverdale was a stereotype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to the cd again, this time the bluespec2 version and so impressed with Jimmy's guitar army on so many tracks. Well done Jimmy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Flares said:

my point is that his disdain towards Coverdale was not really connected to his mid-life crisis, it was more that he detested that sort of glib AOR rock and the shallow lookalikes and Zep mimics. Remember, Plant was an archetype; Coverdale was a stereotype.

We can agree to disagree. Of course Robert did express disdain for AOR rock and the imitators at the time, but targeting Coverdale time and time again for a period of about five years was in my opinion pathological. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

We can agree to disagree. Of course Robert did express disdain for AOR rock and the imitators at the time, but targeting Coverdale time and time again for a period of about five years was in my opinion pathological. 

Well said Steve, Coverdale did not just pop up out of nowhere. He replaced Ian Gillian in Deep Purple, so he got some good experience there. I get that many people don't like DC, we saw WS a couple of years ago, & had a blast. To each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...