Coverdale/Page

Cat

David Coverdale has always been a decent human being, and one of the few front men that never suffered from front man disease. He may have run a tight ship, he may have upset people but it was because he knew where he wanted to go and what it took to get there.

from blabbermouth...and classic rock...

According to Classic Rock magazine, WHITESNAKE frontman David Coverdale wants to personally apologize to Robert Plant for the "ugly things" he said about the LED ZEPPELIN singer nearly two decades ago.

Plant and Coverdale famously traded verbal jabs after the former DEEP PURPLE vocalist teamed up with LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page for the short-lived 1993 COVERDALE-PAGE album and tour,

In interviews at the time, Plant openly expressed his disdain for theWHITESNAKE singer, referring to him as "David Cover-version."Coverdale was equally vitriolic in his response, saying about the LED ZEPPELIN frontman, "There's certainly no love lost between myself andRobert… I wouldn't send him cat food if he was starving."

During an interview set to be broadcast next Wednesday (June 19) onTeamRock Radio's "Classic Rock Magazine Show", Coverdale offered an olive branch to Plant.

"My last words to Jimmy in London were: 'I'd love to buy Robert a drink,'"Coverdale told "Classic Rock Magazine Show" host Nicky Horne. "I said, 'When you speak to him, offer my sincere regrets for any negative things I've ever said, which were mostly defensive.'"

Coverdale continued: "I hold him [Plant] in the highest esteem as a human being, and as an artist, and I really would like to, you know, sit down, buy him a drink, shake hands and say: 'I'm really sorry," you know, "Can we be friends again?'

“[Out of] my love and respect for Jimmy, I know he'll pass that on to Robert — and Robert might go and tell him to [expletive] himself, who knows, but I don't hold any animosity, just disappointment in myself that I took the bait and ran with some ugly things. Because it's not appropriate for somebody I respect so much."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The above photos are dated December 20, 1995. I didn't realize that Page and Coverdale ever worked together after 1993.

The correct date is December 20, 1993 at Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan. This was one of seven performances on their 1993 Japanese Tour.

• 1 month later...

I searched for this so hopefully this is a new version. I thought that "Ari" had uploaded part of this on you tube a few years back, any how thanks to Pete H for the upload

Jimmy Page & David Coverdale interview -93

Glad that he stated lately and made it clear that he would like to sit with Robert and talk. :peace:

I searched for this so hopefully this is a new version. I thought that "Ari" had uploaded part of this on you tube a few years back, any how thanks to Pete H for the upload

Jimmy Page & David Coverdale interview -93

Glad that he stated lately and made it clear that he would like to sit with Robert and talk. :peace:

Thanks so much for this, Deb! I will save it now. I had never seen this interview at all before. :)

Thanks for this Debs. Coverdale seems like a pretty good guy. I still have a problem with him trying to be so much like Robert in the videos I have seen of Coverdale/Page. The hair, the white shoes, the unbuttoned shirt and even the cuffs like Robert wore. Otherwise, he is OK. I like

Whitesnake. I will never get used to Jimmy being with a singer other than Robert though. It just seems strange.

^^ Hi Charles,

I really don't worry at all about those who say that^^.

David is extremely talented in his OWN right. The fact that he looked a little like Robert IMHO has nothing to do with the music, the voices are totally different and I did like the collaboration between he and Jimmy...still love the album. This is one of the best ever IMHO:-) ..and Southern Comfort.

Hi pottedplant, welcome:-)

Vevo^^

Oh, come now, I did not say anything bad about Coverdale, I said he seemed like a nice guy and that I liked Whitesnake. Of course I'm going to be biased towards Robert, I am a Zeppelin fan. Sorry if I ruffled feathers, it was JMO after all.

Charles, I hope you are feeling better after your troubling time.

Edited by pottedplant

I'm sorry but I have to say what I think....I hate David Coverdale!

"David Cover-Version" is very appropriate!

I don't like the way he sings: too bold, rather disturbing, without any shades. The album (wich was obviously a commercial-super-marketing-two-rockstars-duo-yay) is beautiful of course, because of Jimmy's ideas and intuitions (Coverdale ruined everything with his ugly voice LOL). Where there's Mr. Page there's High Quality...except for the singer! Just my opinion. :)

Funny that, Robert can hangout with every Jimmy wannabe, and no one says a word, and the minute Jimmy and David get together, and put out an amazing album with Coverdale Page, the Robert crowd go nuts and insist that David is a copy cat. And there is nothing bad about this GREAT lyric either:

...Who has Robert ever played with that was a "Jimmy wannabe"? That just doesn't make any sense at all. Robert has consistently attempted to play down his connections with Led Zeppelin...

Not to mention the fact that the pair of them did "copy" some music.

I'm sorry but I have to say what I think....I hate David Coverdale!

"David Cover-Version" is very appropriate!

I don't like the way he sings: too bold, rather disturbing, without any shades. The album (wich was obviously a commercial-super-marketing-two-rockstars-duo-yay) is beautiful of course, because of Jimmy's ideas and intuitions (Coverdale ruined everything with his ugly voice LOL). Where there's Mr. Page there's High Quality...except for the singer! Just my opinion. :)

I've never bought into the binary thing when it comes to entertainers. I like both singers. IMO, they have very different voices so the David Cover-Version cracks never made much sense.

I suspect Coverdale has had to work harder than Plant in order to sustain his career. He probably has made more artistic compromises along the way. Plant was THE VOICE OF LED ZEPPELIN. He was in one of the most successful bands of all time and considered one of the best rock singers of his era. By the time Led Zeppelin folded, he had achieved iconic status. Coverdale, in contrast, was Deep Purple's third lead singer. He was considered a fine singer, but not the one most fans associate with Deep Purple. That honor goes to Ian Gillan.

Edited by Disco Duck

I've never bought into the binary thing when it comes to entertainers. I like both singers. IMO, they have very different voices so the David Cover-Version cracks never made much sense.

I suspect Coverdale has had to work harder than Plant in order to sustain his career. He probably has made more artistic compromises along the way. Plant was THE VOICE OF LED ZEPPELIN. He was in one of the most successful bands of all time and considered one of the best rock singers of his era. By the time Led Zeppelin folded, he had achieved iconic status. Coverdale, in contrast, was Deep Purple's third lead singer. He was considered a fine singer, but not the one most fans associate with Deep Purple. That honor goes to Ian Gillan.

:D

For sure Mr. David Coverdale didn't have an easy living. Always compared to Plant or Gillan (two GODS!) ....poor him!