Coverdale/Page

Cat

• 6 months later...

Another anniversary is fast approaching for Coverdale Page, so it's time to reminisce a bit. I hate to say it, but I hated this album for 20 years, apart from Take a Look at Yourself, and Take Me For A Little While, which I loved. A year ago I gave it another chance, and I found that it wasn't bad. I have since listened to it about 25 times, and I have to say that I love it now. It was a very slow grower for me. It's certainly not perfect, and it suffers from a few ills, such as dated production values; atrociously immature lyrics; and too much shrieking, but I can deal with that. I think all the songs are excellent, except for Feeling Hot, which I find to be a banal turd that should have been replaced with Saccharine.

So, although it took me forever to develop a taste for this album, today I would rate it a solid 7 out of 10, and I really get excited about listening to it. Page's work is stunning throughout, and yet again illustrates his ability to develop his style and approach to the guitar. I am an exception, in that I far prefer Walking into Clarksdale over CP, but I have to say that each album is brilliant in its own way, although very different from the other. Coverdale Page is a nice piece, and I'm glad that it has finally wormed its way into my heart, as in many ways it is a Page treasure, and it shows what a riff master he really is. Page's harp work on the album is astounding, as are his solos on Take Me For a Little While and Absolution Blues. Melody and Heavy Blues performed to supernatural standards.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Another anniversary is fast approaching for Coverdale Page, so it's time to reminisce a bit. I hate to say it, but I hated this album for 20 years, apart from Take a Look at Yourself, and Take Me For A Little While, which I loved. A year ago I gave it another chance, and I found that it wasn't bad. I have since listened to it about 25 times, and I have to say that I love it now. It was a very slow grower for me. It's certainly not perfect, and it suffers from a few ills, such as dated production values; atrociously immature lyrics; and too much shrieking, but I can deal with that. I think all the songs are excellent, except for Feeling Hot, which I find to be a banal turd that should have been replaced with Saccharine.

So, although it took me forever to develop a taste for this album, today I would rate it a solid 7 out of 10, and I really get excited about listening to it. Page's work is stunning throughout, and yet again illustrates his ability to develop his style and approach to the guitar. I am an exception, in that I far prefer Walking into Clarksdale over CP, but I have to say that each album is brilliant in its own way, although very different from the other. Coverdale Page is a nice piece, and I'm glad that it has finally wormed its way into my heart, as in many ways it is a Page treasure, and it shows what a riff master he really is. Page's harp work on the album is astounding, as are his solos on Take Me For a Little While and Absolution Blues. Melody and Heavy Blues performed to supernatural standards.

I agree re. Feeling Hot, what garbage! Silly and grating. Its the worst thing Page has done in my view. I really think that Plant heard this album, and thats what got him to work with Page again. It hink he was concerned about what Page invloved himself with re. musical projects.

I really think that Plant heard this album, and thats what got him to work with Page again. It think he was concerned about what Page involved himself with re. musical projects.

If we can believe Robert, MTV offering him (Robert) an opportunity to perform on their widely popular Unplugged program was the catalyst, not the C/P album. Even so, we do know C/P never would have happened had Robert not declined a Led Zeppelin reformation during a band meeting in London in November 1990.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

I found it exciting when it was released. David was always more of a metal guy, where Plant was more worldly. Other than a blonde dye and perm, not really the same approach. I guess Dave did steal the car in the video idea from Burning Down One Side too.....Whisper A Prayer For The Driving

Some cheesy stuff in there and I really dislike the production (same with Outrider), but Coverdale/Page still has some great songs. Whisper A Prayer For The Dying might be Page's best post- Zeppelin song. Its defiantly up there!

• 2 weeks later...

From a minute 48 this just takes off to 30,000 feet and doesn't look back. Fuck I wish Jimmy and David toured this masterpiece and would record a follow up. Jim's tone is just unreal on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aN1_yLO0L4

Edited by Charles J. White

• 2 weeks later...

"Apparently that chemistry extended to the songwriting process as well, with Coverdale telling Jam magazine that the duo came up with between 50 and 60 tunes together"

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/coverdale-page/

Wow! 50 - 60? That's a lot of material. Jimmy has said recently that he wants to get out and play and this just makes me think about how much material he must have at this time.

"Apparently that chemistry extended to the songwriting process as well, with Coverdale telling Jam magazine that the duo came up with between 50 and 60 tunes together"

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/coverdale-page/

Would Page need Coverdale's permission to perform or record the songs with another singer? Would he need to pay him royalties?

Would Page need Coverdale's permission to perform or record the songs with another singer? Would he need to pay him royalties?

No. When playing songs live you don't need anyone's permission or to pay royalties. To give you a perfect example of this... do you think that Robert would have agreed to let David sing Kashmir or any of the other Zep songs that C/P played in Japan? Playing live is a different animal than releasing something on CD/album/digital format. That said, I wish Jimmy and David would make a follow up and then tour America. I believe if they had toured the U.S. the response would have been so overwhelming that they would have been too tempted to make another album. Word of mouth would have gotten out and the audiences would have grown and grown.

Unfortunately, Jimmy's manager at the time screwed the whole thing up. It's quite possible that if they had toured the States that C/P might have released two, three or four albums... but we'll never know, thanks, as I said, to Jimmy's former manager.

• 1 month later...

I didn't like the lp at all. In all honesty I haven't listened to it in a long while but I remember buying it on the release date and being really excited about it. I always used to admire Jimmy's recorded acoustic sound but on C/P he just went with that awful 80's/90's acoustic tone that to my ears never sounded like a real guitar. And I didn't like the songs, production, singing... Anything really! We'll maybe just a little bit of the beginning of Easy Does It. On the other hand I loved WIC which doesn't seem to be that popular round here.

The thing is I'm not saying the album was bad (apart from that acoustic thing I mentioned ) I'm just saying I didn't like it.

I believe if they had toured the U.S. the response would have been so overwhelming that they would have been too tempted to make another album. Word of mouth would have gotten out and the audiences would have grown and grown.

Unfortunately, Jimmy's manager at the time screwed the whole thing up. It's quite possible that if they had toured the States that C/P might have released two, three or four albums... but we'll never know, thanks, as I said, to Jimmy's former manager.

Possibly, but demand for tickets just wasn't there in the first place so David insisting upon arena-sized venues didn't help.

• 7 months later...

Is there anyone else out there that is crazy about this album? I have to admit, I could take it or leave it for the first 20 years that I owned it, but I realized long ago that we are never going to hear anything new from Jimmy, and I started going into the back catalogue. Damn, apart from Hot Tonight, this is one killer disc through and through. Even the obnoxious David Coverdale sounds great, and Page's guitar army is back with a Tony Iommi edge to the playing. Everything is here if you take the time to listen carefully, and who knew that Jimmy was such a good harmonica player? Outstanding. Recorded partly in my town, and an album that I now own on vinyl, cassette, and CD. One of Jimmy's most melodic solo's is evident in Take me for a Little While, and I can't get enough of that track. It's nice to re-discover an album that never really registered in the past, and now hits a home run.

I'd settle for a reunion of Coverdale and Page. Anyone else? Jimmy? You there?

Is there anyone else out there that is crazy about this album? I have to admit, I could take it or leave it for the first 20 years that I owned it, but I realized long ago that we are never going to hear anything new from Jimmy, and I started going into the back catalogue. Damn, apart from Hot Tonight, this is one killer disc through and through. Even the obnoxious David Coverdale sounds great, and Page's guitar army is back with a Tony Iommi edge to the playing. Everything is here if you take the time to listen carefully, and who knew that Jimmy was such a good harmonica player? Outstanding. Recorded partly in my town, and an album that I now own on vinyl, cassette, and CD. One of Jimmy's most melodic solo's is evident in Take me for a Little While, and I can't get enough of that track. It's nice to re-discover an album that never really registered in the past, and now hits a home run.

I'd settle for a reunion of Coverdale and Page. Anyone else? Jimmy? You there?

It is a great album--easily Page's best output since 1980--and I feel it would benefit greatly from remastering.

David is still in top form, as the clips below will attest, and I'd love for C/P to collaborate again but that's just not going to happen.

Possibly, but demand for tickets just wasn't there in the first place so David insisting upon arena-sized venues didn't help.

You'll have to forgive me, Steve, as it's been over 20 years and the memory may not be as sharp as I would like, but when the Coverdale/Page album was released, it was a HUGE hit. Pride & Joy was all over radio, soon to be followed by Shake My Tree, and that's when they should have toured. Begining in March - when the album was released - or, at the latest, April.

Instead, because of Jimmy's manager, the tickets didn't go on sale until what... August or September? You know the music industry, particularly at that time with Grunge, people move on if they can't see a band.

My point on them touring is if they would have done it like The Firm did... The Firm played shows in Europe before their album was even released, then they immediately hit the road here in the States when it was released... I know, because I saw the second U.S. show The Firm played, in Wichita, Kansas.

Had David and Jimmy toured starting in March or April, I have no doubt that they could have played arenas and not suffered from a lack of ticket sales. Such a shame because Jimmy and David invested three years of their lives into this project {1991-93} and all they got for it was seven shows in Japan.

You'll have to forgive me, Steve, as it's been over 20 years and the memory may not be as sharp as I would like, but when the Coverdale/Page album was released, it was a HUGE hit. Pride & Joy was all over radio, soon to be followed by Shake My Tree, and that's when they should have toured. Begining in March - when the album was released - or, at the latest, April.

Instead, because of Jimmy's manager, the tickets didn't go on sale until what... August or September? You know the music industry, particularly at that time with Grunge, people move on if they can't see a band.

My point on them touring is if they would have done it like The Firm did... The Firm played shows in Europe before their album was even released, then they immediately hit the road here in the States when it was released... I know, because I saw the second U.S. show The Firm played, in Wichita, Kansas.

Had David and Jimmy toured starting in March or April, I have no doubt that they could have played arenas and not suffered from a lack of ticket sales. Such a shame because Jimmy and David invested three years of their lives into this project {1991-93} and all they got for it was seven shows in Japan.

Jimmy and David began tour rehearsals in January 1993.

The first single, Pride And Joy, was released to American radio stations on February 9, 1993 and a massive publicity campaign was undertaken to coincide with it and build anticipation for the album's release in March.

Although the album debuted at #3 (as I recall) and ultimately sold several hundred thousand copies, it dropped from the charts within a month (as I recall). That is to say anyone who wanted it went out and got it when it became available, but they did not attract a legion of new listeners. I attribute that outcome to two primary factors, one being the lack of a tour in support of it and the other being the music was not in step with what was becoming a grunge-dominated music scene.

With regard to the tour, there's usually three sides to every contentious story -- one side, the other side and the truth. Having said that, as I understand it Jimmy was actually up for anything (dates and venues) but David (and/or both artist's management) had insisted upon an arena tour. Regardless, tour arrangements are a management responsibility and in this instance both artists were done a real disservice.

An aborted management attempt was made for a 45 date North American arena & amphitheater tour in Jul/Aug that never got beyond the confirmed itinerary stage (as far as I know tickets never went on sale). Consequently, in June the tour was rescheduled for arenas in October by which time most of the momentum generated by the album release and publicity campaign was gone. When tickets for those dates began to go on sale in August the demand simply was not there and the plug was pulled soon after.

Another point of contention was the opening act for the North American tour. As I understand it, Jimmy (and/or management) objected to the then very popular Extreme (which featured guitarist Nuno Bettencourt) so Extreme were dropped in favor of solo vocalist Vince Neil.

The Japanese tour in December was a concession to the artists and the label to salvage something from the wreckage. Although that tour went remarkably well, Jimmy had already met with Robert the month prior and arrived at agreement in principle to begin working together again (for the MTV project) in 1994. He and Robert were in the studio together within two months of concluding the C/P Japanese tour.

Edited by SteveAJones