Robert vs Freddie, Roger, Ozzy

McSeven

So we have VS thing going on. I would like to read about oppinions about Robert's vocal contemporarys.

Robert to me has a blusey mystical voice. The only dark spot on him vocally is that his Higher vocals are what he is trapped with, when people think of Robert with Zeppelin, way too critized for not being able to sing high all the time.

Freddie to me seem to be mix Opera and Rock, with his vocals and seems to keep his strength vocally till he passed away. Sometimes to me he conveys cheesiness.

Roger to me has a great blusey voice, but the Who to me always went too political in many of thier songs. Its like get off your soap box and rock.

Ozzy to me has a very dark voice. its blusey wail and pain. He at least seems to convey more feeling than the rest. There is no posing at all.

I could elaborate more, that is just my brief take on them.

Mc7

Roger to me has a great blusey voice, but the Who to me always went too political in many of thier songs. Its like get off your soap box and rock.

The Who went too political? Quite the contrary, Townshend's lyrics were very much apolitical and more about human condition than anything else. The fact that the lyrics still stand the test of time (as does the music) speaks to the validity of the human struggle he has always tried to convey (a master storyteller).

All 4 of the frontmen described here were important to the evolution of rock, and all 4 are very much typecast in their roles, with Robert being the most successful in trying new things to break his mold with his solo material.

I find it difficult to compare any of them musically or lyrically, though they all have their strengths and weaknesses. None of them (esp. Freddy) can sing like they used to...LOL...

The Who are political? :blink:

I think there are singers, and then there are vocalists. Freddie may be the only true singer in the group you've picked for comparison.

Robert and Roger tie in my ears, I think Robert edges out Rog on the technical side, but Roger gets the emotive vote.

Ozzy, I think he's out of this crowd. Monotone is scary at first, but loses it's effect the longer you listen. He's more of a melodic instrument to my ears.

The Who went too political? Quite the contrary, Townshend's lyrics were very much apolitical and more about human condition than anything else. The fact that the lyrics still stand the test of time (as does the music) speaks to the validity of the human struggle he has always tried to convey (a master storyteller).

You just saved me the effort of saying it myself. Thanks.

You know, I've had Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head for like days now (it's a long story but I hate my coworkers), so I was thinking about Freddie vs. Plant earlier today. I think they are the two best of all-time, no questions asked. But I think their vocal styles are different enough that it really comes down to a matter of taste when it comes to who's "the best."

Personally I like Robert better, but that doesn't really mean anything considering we're on a Led Zeppelin forum. :P

the lyrics have nothing to do with the voice, so your comment on the who makes no sense.

both freddy and rodger have very powerful voices. maybe the best two suited for hard rock/electric blues. roberts voice is great, but he has to be careful not to strain it. i love ozzy, but he's not even close to those three, in vocal power. plus his range isn't as good either. freddy's range is the best. of course then you could throw in meatloaf, for power and range.

Archived