What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

On CD:

The Eagles - Greatest Hits Volume 2

The J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run. I didn't have it on cd just on my computer

Van Halen - OU812

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life on Vinyl

I have a question about Songs In The Key Of Life if anyone can answer it for me:

On the back of Side 1 is Side 4 and on the back of Side 2 is Side 3. Are the labels supposed to be switched? I hope you guys can answer this for me.

I have a question about Songs In The Key Of Life if anyone can answer it for me:

On the back of Side 1 is Side 4 and on the back of Side 2 is Side 3. Are the labels supposed to be switched? I hope you guys can answer this for me.

Some albums were configured like this for playing on turntables with a stackable changer so you could listen to them in the proper sequence, then flip them over to play the other sides in the correct order.

CR74STACKPA_3.jpg

Even when I had a turntable with the tall spindle, I quit stacking when I was about 15. I realized it couldn't be good to have a record PLOP down on another one !! :lol: Then of course I got a GOOD turntable that didn't have the stackable spindle. Matter of fact, my best turntable was so MANUAL, you had to actually put the needle AND take it off...nothing of the motor or mechanism went to anything but the direct drive of the turntables revolutions....less moving parts provided better performance....anyway...

One of my first turntables (still have it in fact, it's one of those portable ones that folds up, speakers and all) also had the stackable feature. Even though I used it I always figured, "this can't be good for my records".

Some albums were configured like this for playing on turntables with a stackable changer so you could listen to them in the proper sequence, then flip them over to play the other sides in the correct order.

CR74STACKPA_3.jpg

I had no idea there ever was a turntable like this.. I know my copies of One More From The Road (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and Basement Tapes (Dylan & The Band) is configured like that.

There are some turntables that can play both sides without needing to switch the record round.. don't ask me how THAT works. :D

e86420nfmrt.jpg

I think you will love this one, I know I do.

BTW, there's a recording circulating out there of a live Ryan Adams show where he's backed by Gillian and David Rawlings where they're referred to as "The Esquires". If I'm not mistaken it was recorded at the Exit Inn in Nashville. Several of the tunes are from Time (The Revelator). You may wanna check the Ryan Adams Archive site in order to track down a copy.

Also, Gillian will be one of many artists featured on an upcoming episode of Austin City Limits when they broadcast highlights of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival which is held annually (for free) in San Francisco. It is scheduled to air this weekend but you may wanna check your local PBS listings for the airtime in your area.

Edited by Jahfin

I think you will love this one, I know I do.

BTW, there's a recording circulating out there of a live Ryan Adams show where he's backed by Gillian and David Rawlings where they're referred to as "The Esquires". If I'm not mistaken it was recorded at the Exit Inn in Nashville. Several of the tunes are from Time (The Revelator). You may wanna check the Ryan Adams Archive site in order to track down a copy.

Also, Gillian will be one of many artists featured on an upcoming episode of Austin City Limits when they broadcast highlights of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival which is held annually (for free) in San Francisco. It is scheduled to air this weekend but you may wanna check your local PBS listings for the airtime in your area.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And yeah, I discovered Gillian and David Rawlings through Heartbreaker, and then heard her some more from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

They seem to have musical chemistry like very few I've ever heard.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

And yeah, I discovered Gillian and David Rawlings through Heartbreaker, and then heard her some more from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

They seem to have musical chemistry like very few I've ever heard.

I first heard of Gillian through a song she had on a compliation record for LEAK magazine. Then, an older brother saw her do the opening honors for Guy Clark at a show in Texas. Not long afterwards I caught her and David Rawlings on the Americana stage at MerleFest. Soon thereafter I started picking up her records and have seen her in concert at least once (ACL Fest) since then. Time (the Revelator) is not only my favorite Gillian album but one of my very favorites released so far in the 00s.

I wasn't able to make it but not long ago she and David passed through here touring as The Dave Rawlings Machine where he takes the limelight and they do a wide variety of covers from everyone to Neil Young and Ryan Adams. Check out their MySpace here:

The Dave Rawlings Machine

Went on Amazon to get myself some 'comfort' albums. I'd say it's the aural equivalent of crawling under your bed and eating a tub of ice cream while watching Oprah, but not quite so dramatic.

Been meaning to get these singles for months. Decided I want them now:

collegeep.gif

Pyamid Song EP

33829.jpg

Knives Out Pt.1

B00005NBRO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kinves Out Pt. 2

B00000735Y.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

High And Dry Pt. 1