re-mastered boxset in 2008?

cretem85

Man, that would be great. I wish some decent-quality 1977 stuff (L.A. especially) would turn up. If it exists, that is. If not, maybe Jimmy could remaster from one of the great 6/23/77 bootlegs. That week of shows blows away anything I've ever heard from '73 or '75. (I know....it's not likely he'd do anything of the sort! Hmph.)

Man, that would be great. I wish some decent-quality 1977 stuff (L.A. especially) would turn up. If it exists, that is. If not, maybe Jimmy could remaster from one of the great 6/23/77 bootlegs. That week of shows blows away anything I've ever heard from '73 or '75. (I know....it's not likely he'd do anything of the sort! Hmph.)

My guess is that there IS a full soundboard recording of the 6-23-77 show. THAT I would love to see!! Kashmir aside, it's one of the best shows ever. As with HTWWW, Jimmy could cheat and use Kashmir from 6-21.

Now, with that said, I would ask one request of Jimmy should he actually do this. NO MORE CUTTING THE FUCKING SONGS SHORT!!!!!!!! :angry:

That is the one thing that really pissed me off about the new TSRTS, and also BBC Sessions. Jimmy needs to realize that a large percentage of us have already heard the boots! :lol:

Oh, yeah -- sorry. I forgot about the "Kashmir" mistake. (There's some humor value there, at least!)

That's a good point; I wonder how aware Jimmy is of the more enthusiastic Zeppelin listeners being well-schooled in full versions, due to bootlegs.

Oh, yeah -- sorry. I forgot about the "Kashmir" mistake. (There's some humor value there, at least!)

That's a good point; I wonder how aware Jimmy is of the more enthusiastic Zeppelin listeners being well-schooled in full versions, due to bootlegs.

Well, if Mr. Page has been reading this site, he's aware of it now! :lol:

Surround sound seems so useless to me. We only have two ears. I anticipate that stuff going the way of quad. For now, people have to justify their equipment purchases by whining every time something's remastered without a 5.1 mix being included. Zeppelin's music was originally recorded, produced and mixed for stereo. To turn it into some sort of "home theater" experience would be pointless and desperately overreaching. Sheesh....people need to get themselves hobbies or something. Here's an idea: learn how to play an instrument and write some songs!

That comes off much more snidely than I actually feel about it, but really.....let's hope, to forestall superfluous disappointment and more reasons to whine, for a minimum 2008 release of all the studio albums, remastered with the level of quality (and surprisingly low compression, relative to other modern releases) of Mothership, and released on CD (Redbook, thank you...fringe markets should come last).

I like the cut of your jib!

I was thinking the same thing. It's all just one more claim to bolster in order to keep the one-upmanship and fanaticism alive.

Surround sound seems so useless to me. We only have two ears

Really, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Then you get the vinyl vs. CD arguments, but unless you have a $5000 hi-fi system, what more are you gaining?

Thanks. Hey, I understand the fetish for vinyl -- we grew up with it, after all -- but it's a separate thing from sound quality. I was so relieved when I first listened to Mothership, expecting the worst, and heard very, very minimal compression, that I got really excited about the possibility of all the studio albums coming out with such a weighty low-end and such clarity without extraneous brightness. So the negativity sort of confuses me -- "Well, what they SHOULD do is make it available as a surround-sound combination DVD-A/drink blender/microwave. Why don't they do that? Damn them!" So I react against the nihilism with....well, my own kind of negative post. Okay, so I'm a dork. But at least I know about music production. :)

I think 5.1 would be fabulous...simply don't listen to it if you don't want to. If the music industry were to adopt a new physical format alongside the downloadable one it should be the Blu-Ray disc format. They could include hours of bonus features such as the original stereo, 5.1, demos, outtakes, alternative versions of songs, instrumentals, interviews new and old, a documentary on the project, and of course great packaging. No holds bars on the possiblities...

Opinions very as do sound systems. I don't need another remastering of Zeppelin albums, for me the 1990 George Marino/Jimmy Page boxes are fine.........I think they've held up nicely.

I would want like many other long time fans are begging for.............legitimate live shows finally being released. Complete select shows would be great, a live anthology would be welcomed as well.

That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Regards;

Thanks. Hey, I understand the fetish for vinyl -- we grew up with it, after all -- but it's a separate thing from sound quality. I was so relieved when I first listened to Mothership, expecting the worst, and heard very, very minimal compression, that I got really excited about the possibility of all the studio albums coming out with such a weighty low-end and such clarity without extraneous brightness. So the negativity sort of confuses me -- "Well, what they SHOULD do is make it available as a surround-sound combination DVD-A/drink blender/microwave. Why don't they do that? Damn them!" So I react against the nihilism with....well, my own kind of negative post. Okay, so I'm a dork. But at least I know about music production. :)

Well yeah...vinyl is another dimension altogether isn't it. It's the visceral element. The actual 'thing' you 'see' the music coming out of. Which is why I have a strange attraction to rudimentary, agricultural objects; you can physically connect to the object, its moving parts etc.

People forget; experience is all encompassing; it's the music, it's the medium, the state and the epoch.

Can't stand the sterility of those who dismiss all experience unless it attains to some kind of perfectionism. Then perfectionism becomes the goal itself, not the pastime.

There is also a limit to human sensation. Above and beyond this sensation becomes a type of delusion......well, it's all consumerism isn't it?

Absolutely...as Zappa said, "Americans will pay more for something if it has the DU JOUR. Buy the same two-dollar burger at a sit-down restaurant, and even though the only difference is the addition of parsley and a separate piece of fluffy lettuce, you'll pay six dollars for it. You can sell anything, as long as you have a DU JOUR that attracts people."

Absolutely...as Zappa said, "Americans will pay more for something if it has the DU JOUR. Buy the same two-dollar burger at a sit-down restaurant, and even though the only difference is the addition of parsley and a separate piece of fluffy lettuce, you'll pay six dollars for it. You can sell anything, as long as you have a DU JOUR that attracts people."

Zappa was smarter than most people think he was then with that remark haha. ok i'm a 30 year old zepp fan. i think a live box set would be great..from what he has..especially 75, 77, 79, 80. we already have 69, 71, 72, 73!! and hell, end the set with a bonus album...call it eleven years gone..with "unreleased" live tracks throughout the years..i don't know..but yeah..we already have 3 diff. live versions of since i've been loving you..great song..perhaps this verson in the latter years with "tea for one" musically mixed in with it will make it an incentive..oh well..they're such a great band..we love more live music...we'd love some "studio" tracks too...put out a double disc of alternatives on side 2 and "new" on side 2...who knows..

hey dude..which restaurant do u go to? $2.00 a burger. that's a great deal! maybe u can find gas for $1.00 a gallon too

Personally, when I'm at home and in audiophile mode, I'll put my 200 gram vinyl masters on through my "hi-fi" (remember when they called it that? :lol: ).

If they do release another remaster, I'll buy it, but mostly for the packaging and the candy (are you listening Jimmy?). :whistle:

Mostly, CDs are (for me) for casual listening (on the Walkman, at a party, in the truck, etc). Call me crazy (or just old fashioned), but when I want to truly immerse myself in the music, it's the warmth of vinyl that calls. Even if I can't hear that squeaky pedal! :lol:

There's an organic atmosphere there that digital has not yet delivered.

I couldn't care less if ANOTHER box set of remastered studio recordings is released, what I want is more live officially released stuff.

Hear, hear. An official release of the '71 Budokan shows would be amazing, as would the '77 L.A. Forum gigs, not to mention some stuff from the 1980 European tour... you get the drift. I guess it all comes down to whether Jimmy has the material to make it happen.

Surround sound seems so useless to me. We only have two ears. I anticipate that stuff going the way of quad. For now, people have to justify their equipment purchases by whining every time something's remastered without a 5.1 mix being included. Zeppelin's music was originally recorded, produced and mixed for stereo. To turn it into some sort of "home theater" experience would be pointless and desperately overreaching. Sheesh....people need to get themselves hobbies or something. Here's an idea: learn how to play an instrument and write some songs!

That comes off much more snidely than I actually feel about it, but really.....let's hope, to forestall superfluous disappointment and more reasons to whine, for a minimum 2008 release of all the studio albums, remastered with the level of quality (and surprisingly low compression, relative to other modern releases) of Mothership, and released on CD (Redbook, thank you...fringe markets should come last).

I like the cut of your jib!

I was thinking the same thing. It's all just one more claim to bolster in order to keep the one-upmanship and fanaticism alive.

Really, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Then you get the vinyl vs. CD arguments, but unless you have a $5000 hi-fi system, what more are you gaining?

It does not cost $5000 to have great sound now, not even $500 dollars. You can pick up a combo DVD-Audio / SACD player for under $100 off ebay or flee market and if your amp already has 5.1 RCA inputes (most do) you just plug it in and get twice the sound quality of a CD or record. DVD-Audio is 24 bit / 96 kHz and SACD is 24 bit / 192 kHz. A CD is only 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. What do you get? More detail in the music, more information and higher bit rate. Just like being in the studio the day it was first produced. If you want more of the same it's already out there. Some things to consider about sound quality...

A CD is better than a record. But if that CD has been over compressed the sound is ruined even if it may seem louder. A record cannot be mastered with compression in this manor, that's why records are preferred when the CD mastering has been ruined. The cool thing to note about SACD is that it can play like a normal CD, but also have the Hi Rez stereo sound and also contain a Quad or 5.1 mix. A DVD-Audio disc does not play like a CD so one should be added to the package just like what they did with the great Doors box set. Also DVD-Audio discs have the advantage of being compatible with all DVD players by adding a DVD-V layer - which is what regular DVD is - and offering DTS and Dolby Digital streams both Stereo and multi-channel. If you don't want to listen to the 5.1 mix from a purist stand point, I respect that, just don't listen to that part of the disc. But to not have the great Led Zeppelin Stereo mixes in High Resolution sound would not be wise considering it's almost 2008 and the 21st century now. It does not make sense to buy the same thing only repackaged in a different box unless you got money to blow on nice cardboard with pictures on them.

this topic is cool. i thought Id add my 2 cents worth.

we have more than two ears. air preasure waves can be felt by entire body. top bottom front back and side to side

higher resolutions are still at the mercy of converters and even though sample size might be high there are physical limitations to the technology that make ,,,,,,,,,,,let me put it another way, just because the file is at a certain frequency dosent mean the ad or da conversion is capable of any thing like that.

overly compressed data is not ruined it is different whethe r or not digital or analogue compression is used.

I am all for the highest possible resolution but it come s down to ballance of how all the variables are tweeked. you can have a real good cd master that is good for the music and you can have a super high rez non blown out master that sucks

with digital everthing is totally different: an over blown analoge tube compression can create a hrmonic distortion that can add warmth, over blown dig comp dist is another animal. differnt portions of the program will react differently to all these different variables.

with digital there are more options, not nec better ones. it starts to become very subjective. Jimmy could prob go in and redue a hundred times, non better or worse just dif.

I don't know if my input helps the discussion along but I have fucking with these tweeks for many years in many labs

I make my own DVD-Audio's from records all the time, so I don't wear out the real rare one's. It's not that hard or expensive to do. I'm using a vintage turntable and amp into a creative soundcard that will record at 24 bit / 96 kHz and playback Stereo / multi-channel audio. All for much less than a couple hundred dollars if you have a halfway decent turntable and amp. I only make sure the volume is at the proper level (not tweaked in any way with a plug-in) and the sound is fantastic. Less is more.

Do a search and check out the Doors box set "Perception," it contains great sounding CD's along with DVD-Audio containing both original Stereo / multi-channel mixes that will work with any DVD player because of the DTS streams. There's even rare video clips on them.

Product Description from Amazon:

"6CD/6DVD Boxed set celebrating the 40th anniversary of this legendary band: All their Jim Morrison-Era studio albums reissued in deluxe 2-disc editions with rare & previously unreleased bonus material, 5.1 mixes, bonus video content, and more!"

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-6CD-6DVD-...d_sim_m_title_1

Led Zeppelin deserves as great of release as this Box set is.

It would also be cool if Led Zeppelin kept the record versions of their music in print to please the vinyl fans as well. I just wanted to turn people onto something really cool that doesn't cost that much and is a lot of fun if you care about sound quality or want to explore.

I couldn't care less if ANOTHER box set of remastered studio recordings is released, what I want is more live officially released stuff. I listen to a lot of bootlegs, but there's nothing like a new official live release coming out, even if I have heard it on bootleg.

How about doing that chronological live box set Jimmy ALWAYS used to talk about in interviews eh??

Agreed.

Hey, new here, but ive been reading this thread because Im addicted to DVD-A.

People who don't understand the allure of DVD-A shouldn't claim to hear audible superiority in vinyl. While it can sound very good, vinyl has never been as accurate as even a CD. That "warm ambiance" people refer to is called background noise and colorization.

CDs only sound like crap next to a record because the CD mixes are compressed to be louder and thus percieved to sound better.

I would buy two copies of a 5.1 collection. Unfortunately, given the state of the music market, it seems like a distant hope to see this dream of mine fulfilled, as people are more concerned with how many tracks they can fit on an iPod or MP3 cd than how good it sounds. They simply can't/don't hear the difference. And as with most things, the average always has to come down to the level of the lower third.

I do truly hope I'm wrong. When Dire Strais released Brothers in Arms on SACD and DVD-A, I remember thinking "Now all I need is Zeppelin in hi rez, and I'll never need to buy another disc."

Anyway, just my $0.03 worth.

Mostly, CDs are (for me) for casual listening (on the Walkman, at a party, in the truck, etc). Call me crazy (or just old fashioned), but when I want to truly immerse myself in the music, it's the warmth of vinyl that calls. Even if I can't hear that squeaky pedal! :lol:

There's an organic atmosphere there that digital has not yet delivered.

Totally Ev.

Here is another idea to get warm clean sound, if you like, and does not cost that much and allows you to personally take part in preserving the past. Next time you’re at the thrift store or flee market look for those nice and heavy Amplifier’s from the 1970’s from Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, JVC, and Lafayette. In the tape inputs of these units you can plug-in a CD player. Or if a Quadraphonic amp an inexpensive DVD / DVD-A / SACD / combo player’s 5.1 outputs into the front and back tape inputs. You can use another retro Stereo amp for the center speaker / subwoofer. If your speakers are full range just plug the center channel into your TV’s speakers. This set-up is also great for watching movies / concerts. I do have modern digital amp set-up’s, but this is low cost retro fun. It warms up the sound and yet keeps the sound fairly clean. They’re great for vinyl record playback of course. These old amps retain their value if you keep them in shape.

I enjoy Records, DVD-A, SACD, CD’s and even 8 track tapes. Led Zeppelin has officially released some, but not all of their music on almost every format including reel to reel. I don’t view it as either or, but as win - win. Each format gives you a different type of musical experience. So, let’s get that nice box set with CDs / DVD-A. Let’s keep vinyl records in print. And for sure clean out the vault of all the live / studio stuff – I would love to hear that soundboard mix from 7-23-77 as I was at that show.

Archived