re-mastered boxset in 2008?

cretem85

I hope Page is far to busy playing live (or even recording) to remaster the whole back catalogue.

I have to second that :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Additionally, all the people who think these guys won't pull off one remarkable show must be new to Led Zeppelin music. They are gonna blow the roof off that hole!

Rolls>>>> :wacko:

40th Anniversary Remasters? I think so! Mothership is probably a "sampler" of what we'll get next year.

Methinks Kevin Shirley has already done the updated mastering deed already.

The killer question is will we actually get the 5.1 high resolution surround mixes that this classic music deserves? Atlantic (Rhino actually) has gone limp on DVD-Audio but it's still out there to be used!

If The Beatles can do it (Love DVD-A),

If The Doors can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Genesis can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),

If The Moody Blues can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),

If Talking Heads can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Seal can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Porcupine Tree can do it (later studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A and issuing more)

I submit there is no reason this great band's classic catalog deserves anything less.

Just tell us where to send the cash. Tell the limo driver I gotta take a leak. 'scuse me babe.....

I couldn't care less if ANOTHER box set of remastered studio recordings is released, what I want is more live officially released stuff. I listen to a lot of bootlegs, but there's nothing like a new official live release coming out, even if I have heard it on bootleg.

How about doing that chronological live box set Jimmy ALWAYS used to talk about in interviews eh??

Methinks Kevin Shirley has already done the updated mastering deed already.

The killer question is will we actually get the 5.1 high resolution surround mixes that this classic music deserves? Atlantic (Rhino actually) has gone limp on DVD-Audio but it's still out there to be used!

If The Beatles can do it (Love DVD-A),

If The Doors can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Genesis can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),

If The Moody Blues can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 SACD),

If Talking Heads can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Seal can do it (entire studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A),

If Porcupine Tree can do it (later studio catalog in 5.1 DVD-A and issuing more)

I submit there is no reason this great band's classic catalog deserves anything less.

Just tell us where to send the cash. Tell the limo driver I gotta take a leak. 'scuse me babe.....

Yes! A Box set with both Stereo and Multi-Channel sound in Hi-Rez sound DVD-Audio at 24 bit / 96 kHz would be killer. The Doors box set is a great example of how to do it proper. That box has both a CD / DVD-Audio for each release that also contains a DTS stream as well. Led Zeppelin has already done one DVD-Audio with "How The West Was Won." I don't see the need for yet another "CD only" box set as there's already been at least 2 already released. CD's are so 1980's and MP3 with only a 10th of the sound quality of a CD is so 1990's, out of date with what the future promises with Hi-Rez sound. If anyone has not heard a DVD-Audio yet, go get a player cheap (or your computer may already be able to play it) and the Led Zep DVD-Audio disc and be prepared for the best sound you've ever heard!

I also agree, clean out the vaults and release all the live stuff, we're all not getting any younger.

Most importantly I would love to have the original "Quadraphonic" mix to "The Song Remains The Same" that I heard in 1976 at the movie theater restored to the DVD and / or a DVD-Audio release of it. One of Led Zeppelin's High Quality mixes that most fans have never even heard before, but is a "Must Have" for all true fams.

I don't know if I would get all the albums again in remastered form unless they were offered in the same way that Plant's box set was. I think it would be very convenient for all of us fans who have all the albums already to offer us the remastered ones at discount in the form of a box set.

Yes! A Box set with both Stereo and Multi-Channel sound in Hi-Rez sound DVD-Audio at 24 bit / 96 kHz would be killer. The Doors box set is a great example of how to do it proper. That box has both a CD / DVD-Audio for each release that also contains a DTS stream as well. Led Zeppelin has already done one DVD-Audio with "How The West Was Won." I don't see the need for yet another "CD only" box set as there's already been at least 2 already released. CD's are so 1980's and MP3 with only a 10th of the sound quality of a CD is so 1990's, out of date with what the future promises with Hi-Rez sound. If anyone has not heard a DVD-Audio yet, go get a player cheap (or your computer may already be able to play it) and the Led Zep DVD-Audio disc and be prepared for the best sound you've ever heard!

I also agree, clean out the vaults and release all the live stuff, we're all not getting any younger.

Well said, let's get this stuff out while we can still enjoy it!

Didn't it seem like the perfect fit to have Led Zep DVD-Audio when Cadillac aired all those ads every night blaring Rock And Roll? DVD-A is the Cadillac (or BMW or Lexus) of audio - why not have the best?This is the killer app that would make people drool to get DVD-A in the house AND in the car.

How many more times?

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I would buy the first nine albums right now if they were available in SACD format.

Please Led Zeppelin let me hear you work at the best standard possible.

If you have to arrange a tie up with Sony or Phillips or whoever, please sort it.

I would happily pay £20 per album x 9 = £180

It doesn't have to be surround sound - I prefer 2 channel stereo for listening to music.

No, the one from the late '90s of the entire discography (grey box) was just a repackaging of the remaster job done for the 1990 and 1992 box set I and II.

If they do remaster again and it sounds like Mothership, I'm in. The sound quality DOES matter, and as much as I motherfucked Mothership when it was announced, I bought it and love the sonic difference.

That said, DO NOT do another shitty rush-job like was done with TSRTS. The packaging DOES matter to Zeppelin fans.

And no offense, but Jimmy Page has said before he wouldn't release any demos or substandard material. I highly doubt he'll budge on that stance.

Anyway, who came up with the title 'mothership'?

Plant.

And yes, the sound quality IS that much better. The high end stuff such as Bonzo's ride cymbal on SIBLY is exceptionally clear after years of being muddy and hard to pick out, and the bass and bass drum are very in-your-face.

Plant.

And yes, the sound quality IS that much better. The high end stuff such as Bonzo's ride cymbal on SIBLY is exceptionally clear after years of being muddy and hard to pick out, and the bass and bass drum are very in-your-face.

Unfortunately that is because it has been compressed...go and do this...pull out your old Barry Diament mastered first editions (if you still have them - a good one to try would be Houses) and crank up those discs...then try to play loudly the new versions....hurts after a few minutes doesn't it....that's what digital compression does....or the abuses of it...now John Davis seems to be a nice guy and all, but this is not an audiophile release...it is meant for iPods...also...the sources he used were the same that were used for the Marino/Page remasters...which guess what...are not the real master tapes...but safeties and those were the ones that were in Atlantic's vault when the very first ones were done....all this amounts to is the same source tapes with different EQ'ing and compression settings...

Not terrible...but until the real 1'st gen tapes are indeed used and intelligently with gentle EQ'ing and no compression (the tapes are compressed enough why rob Bonzo of his natural drumming dynamics?) then we just will have to go back to such things as the original Robert Ludwig cut Zep ll...go find that one if you want to hear dynamics and slam!

I'd go for a Boxset. But perhaps have LYRICS transcribed and posted for each and every song they have. I don't care how it gets done, but as a vocalist myself I sometimes wonder exactly what Robert is singing, like not understanding a few phrases here and there....

Minor nitpick, but it's soemthing I'd like to see.

So the sound quality is yet better again than the 90's remasters?

Really?

Has anyone on this forum done an A/B comparison of Mothership vs The Remasters from the early 90s?

I have read in a few places that the new Kevin Shirley remasters sound "louder" and more compressed than the George Marino remasters from the early 90s - everything is more upfront and in your face. Is this better?. . . I will stay on the fence until I can do an A/B on my home system.

As the owner of most the original vinyl, all the original CD releases, and the Complete Studio Recordings Box Set, I do know that the 1990-93 remasters were a vast improvement over the original CD releases. George Marino isn't a slouch, and Jimmy supervised - making sure the recordings were as good as possible. How much better can it get?

Surround sound seems so useless to me. We only have two ears. I anticipate that stuff going the way of quad. For now, people have to justify their equipment purchases by whining every time something's remastered without a 5.1 mix being included. Zeppelin's music was originally recorded, produced and mixed for stereo. To turn it into some sort of "home theater" experience would be pointless and desperately overreaching. Sheesh....people need to get themselves hobbies or something. Here's an idea: learn how to play an instrument and write some songs!

That comes off much more snidely than I actually feel about it, but really.....let's hope, to forestall superfluous disappointment and more reasons to whine, for a minimum 2008 release of all the studio albums, remastered with the level of quality (and surprisingly low compression, relative to other modern releases) of Mothership, and released on CD (Redbook, thank you...fringe markets should come last).

Archived