ANZAC Day

Reggie29

Today in Australia we celebrate and remember a solemn day in our military history.

Whilst we are in no way a large country per capita we have an unique tradition of helping our mates out when it is needed.

And so it was at dawn on 25/04/1915 the ANZACS, Australian and New Zealand Army Corps arrived at (and what was to be called ANZAC Cove), The Dardenelles, Gallipoli, Turkey.

Due to a monumental error the troops were dropped off at the wrong location.

The British had landed at the correct location a few miles away where it was reported that they had met minmal resistance and were last seen drinking tea and playing cricket!

As the sun rose in the eastern sky they hit the beach only to be met by Johnny Turk machine guns scattered along the soaring cliffs.

Thousands were killed that day with the Turks suffering heavy casualties as well.

The campaign lasted for months before the inevitable withdrawal.

Since that day the Turkish people out of respect and mutual goodwill have protected and maintained that battlefield in pristine condition.

Today thousands of Aussies and Kiwis will make the pilgrimage for the dawn service.

At the same time on 25/04/1918 in Villers - Brettoneux France The Second Battle of The Somme took place, ninety years ago.

Similar casualties were experienced by the ANZACS, British, Canadians and Germans.

Unlike Gallipoli which was a defeat, this battle was decisive and eventually led to the armistice in November that year.

So to all warriors old and young from all countries we salute you.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

My Grandfather survived WWI and WWII.

popegypt1916lh1.jpg

Today in Australia we celebrate and remember a solemn day in our military history.

Whilst we are in no way a large country per capita we have an unique tradition of helping our mates out when it is needed.

Amen, brother.

I remember being a kid and you'd go and watch the ANZAC Day parade and you'd always see a few veterans from WW1 on the jeeps. Nowdays you're lucky if you get to see a few WW2 veterans.

As time moves on, we're losing our contact with the War, as most of our parents or grandparents who fought in WW2 have now passed on. I never thought that day would come when we would start to lose our connection. I guess when we're 80 years old, WW2 will just be chapter in a history book, not necessarily the living history we grew up with as kids.

I'm in America, but I will gladly take a moment of silence for the ANZAC and the others who lost their lives.

We should respect the men and women who have fought and continue to fight around the world. I know I do. They are braver then the rest of us.

Due to a monumental error the troops were dropped off at the wrong location.

The British had landed at the correct location a few miles away where it was reported that they had met minmal resistance and were last seen drinking tea and playing cricket!

Actually, I thought a few years ago that they had proved that it wasn't an accident us landing at Gallipoli, that we were secretly sent there by the British to act as a decoy.

All my respect to this special day in Australia. When I used to live in Canberra, I have always attended the ceremony at the War Memorial. It was a solemn and very emotional moment.

Today I will have another moment of commemoration.

Italy (my home country) celebrates a similar moment in our history on the same day. :)

It's called Festa della Liberazione and it commemorates the liberation of Italy from the occupying German forces in World WW2. It is also an opportunity for us Italians to remember the Italian Partisans (the resistance movement who fought against the German forces and the Mussolini's Fascists) and the English and American service personnel who died in achieving the liberation.

Good on ya, Reggie, for bringing up this important day.

77c2a-1.jpg

My respect to the Italian Partisans on Festa della Liberazione. Even though I've lived in Australia all my life, I feel that I may not be here today if it weren't for any of these soldiers. My grand parents lived in Italy in WW2, but for all I know, they may have not still been here today if it weren't for the liberation. :notworthy:

What did they think about Musollini?

Archived