Rod Stewart on Jimmy Page

Apart from everything else, I really don't get the feeling that the Jeff Beck Group had the chemistry needed to sustain popularity.

Not only that, but if you are going to be a leader of a band (or anything else) you should be at least somewhat consistent and dependable.

Frankly, I would have liked to see Rod go the hard rock route. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed music by a band with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and Ron Wood in it. These guys all managed to do very well for themselves, but the story still reminds me of this quote....

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." - Woody Allen

Like whatever Rod had to say in 1978 has any validity...guy had so much

coke up his schnozz back then.

Basically, though, SteveAJones and gollum6668 refute Rod's accusations

very well.

"You Shook Me" was a song that just about EVERY blues-rock band in England

played back in the 60's...it was part of the standard rep, along with "Killing Floor".

Lastly, I believe Led Zeppelin had recorded their first album by October 1968,

which is BEFORE Jimmy would have seen the Jeff Beck Group's Miami gig in November

of that year.

Frankly, whenever I read quotes from Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, Rod Stewart, et al

trying to diss Zep, alot of it comes across as sour grapes and jealousy...that Zeppelin

became SO HUGE...and did it WITHOUT the help of the rock critics and media of the

time. Unlike the Stones and Who who were always sucked up to by the media, esp.

Rolling Stone magazine, which was Jann Wenner's way of hoping to get to sleep with

Mick Jagger.

I dont know if I could have summed up my thoughts better. One of the best posts I've seen on this board. It says it all.

MikeZep61,

While hardly conclusive, I'll just mention in the official timeline a "Chris Meade" has left a comment pertaining to Manchester (11/16/68) and two comments have been made for

Sheffield (11/23/68), one of which references a ticket stub. The search for confirmation

continues!

Edited by SteveAJones

In 1994, Rod Stewart was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Because of a California earthquake he decided to stay home with his wife and kids at the time. It was decided that Jeff Beck would stand in for Rod and accept for him.

Beck's words at the ceremony:"Rod and I have always had a love, hate relationship, He loves me and I hate him"

I wouldn't take anything either one of them said too seriously, in any year.

Rod's a tool. The ONLY comparison ever made that I'm aware of is that they both covered "You Shook Me". And Jeff was probably upset that the Zep version blew theirs into the dust. I guess that would trouble me a bit too. :lol:

Hey Rod- here's one for you. It took TWO of you, you and your buddy Woody, to replace ONE member of the Faces. And even at that, the band was only half as talented afterwards. Put that in yer fuckin' pipe and smoke it. :P

MikeZep61,

While hardly conclusive, I'll just mention in the official timeline a "Chris Meade" has left a comment pertaining to Manchester (11/16/68) and two comments have been made for

Sheffield (11/23/68), one of which references a ticket stub. The search for confirmation

continues!

Without a post-show review it's always hard to nail down some of those early dates. However, if Jimmy did play with Jeff Beck in Miami on 11/15/68 it pretty much cancels out the next night's show in Manchester (especially with the time zone change working against him).

From what I understand, a bootleg exists of Jeff Beck's second night in Miami on 11/16/68. It's too bad a boot doesn't exist for the night before to see if Page did in fact jam with them. Then again, Chrome Oxide could have derived that information from the "Hammer of the Gods" book which is certainly a pretty unreliable source.

And, even ticket stubs can be an unreliable source, especially when it comes to bands postponing shows for one reason or another. Off the top of my head, I have three ticket stubs that have the wrong date on them (two postponed Rush shows and one postponed Queen show).

As you said, the search continues!

Hey Rod- here's one for you. It took TWO of you, you and your buddy Woody, to replace ONE member of the Faces. And even at that, the band was only half as talented afterwards. Put that in yer fuckin' pipe and smoke it. :P

got that right!

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, some correction.....Beck absolutely to somewhere in the mid 70's was prone to very erratic behavior, Yes missing gigs, quitting in the middle of a gig, even leaving a tour. And that 84' Stewart tour, the plan was for Jeff to play with Stewart for a half hr. tops, Beck was not the "band" guitarist for the full show. Now you must do your contractual obligations. But, Beck

got frustrated onstage, saying they were.just getting started, and then, suddenly, cut off. I'm not sure that Jimmy wouldn't

do the same thing if he had a half hour slot with Robert and his band. Although it's somewhat different because Jeff and Rod together weren't really superstars even early on, whereas Robert would never have such an arrangement since his own material would seriously pale in comparison. Anyway, for a long time now Beck has had no troubles being a responsible

pro musician. I've seen him 4 or 5 times, the only problem is he is either totally amazing or just not sparking.

Well that's something, but a far cry from Beck's past. If it wasn't Beck, not sure somebody else giving eight weeks notice

would be hung out to dry. I saw two of those shows, they were pretty damn good with or without Beck. Had the two bands

been far less accomplished, obviously ticket sales/vibe could be heavily compromised.