every number we played for six or seven

gigs, went back to London and formed exactly

the same lineup we had — a singer, a

bass player and a drummer."

"Jeff "Beck," Stewart offered, -is a better

guitar player than Jimmy Page — 10

times better."

Them and a zillion other bands.

However, I can't get excited about Rod Stewart's opinions from 1978.

Jeff Beck didn't show for Rod's Tour in the early 80's when he was billed as lead guitarist...yea, he's awesome.

Yeah, Beck was notorious for being the ultimate high maintenance prima dona from what I've read over the years...Jimmy was probably high maintenance when it came to working with the record company vis-a-vis releasing singles, etc. But from all accounts, Jimmy is the consummate professional when it comes to giving his absolute best to those whom he agrees to play on their record. Beck must have been an absolute nightmare in that regard.

Jeff's a nice guy but professionally he's always been a bit too flaky and unreliable to pose serious competition to anyone. The nerve of Jimmy Page to form a band with a singer, a bass player and a drummer!

Jimmy (w/The Yardbirds) had played Thee Image Club in Miami April 8-10 1968. He already knew they were breaking up in two months and was already considering putting a new band together. The fact he attended the Jeff Beck Group's gig in Miami, if in fact he did, is just a coincidence. He and Jeff were friends and did share the same manager: Peter Grant.

Edit: A review of The Jeff Beck Group's tour itinerary shows they did not even perform

in Miami until November 15 & 16 1968. Jimmy Page's aforementioned gigs in Miami were

his only visit there during his stint with The Yardbirds. He was on tour in England at the time JBG played Miami in Nov, having performed in Manchester on November 16 1968. I

don't know who the bigger liar is, Rod ("Jimmy ripped us off") or Ronnie ("Peter Grant

asked me to be Led Zeppelin's guitarist"). Too funny!

Edited by SteveAJones

There's always been word or whatever that Jeff Beck didn't like that Led Zeppelin basically did You Shook Me after the Jeff Beck Group did it. But Jimmy was trying to copy what most of the big groups did at that time. But Led Zeppelin endured because they broke out of just being a blues band and went into other styles and basically changed the definition of what Led Zeppelin was from album to album. They got out of those primitive stages, Jeff Beck Group didn't and they didn't last.

Wow.. Stewart thinks that Jimmy page copied their lineup of a guitarist, singer, drummer and bassist.. well hears news for him: about a million other bands had the same lineup before & after the Jeff Beck group.

He was also annoyed that they both played You Shook Me. But compare the two and you will know that Zeppelin was way ahead of Beck.

Point of interest: John Paul Jones played on Beck's 'Truth' album, adding organ to You Shook Me, but he never told Page because "It didn't seem important - the songs were so different," or something along those lines.

Edited by Cactus

To end this debate: The four members of Zep got together back in '68 and just played together as the "new yardbirds" and they and Peter Grant KNEW that there was a connection..That's why Grant was so hard and so demanding on Atlantic and throughout their career..because that was his job..He KNEW that they knew they had something..all 4 members just fed off of each other! Jeff Beck Group didn't have that..Decent album, yes..But they just didn't have a "guiding light" or focus/inspiration. Zep was willing to take a risk and change..Zep III ("Unplugged" before MTV) and Grant stood by them..because he backed his band, not himself!

Yeah so I can see why The In Concert Files was dedicated to Peter Grant..Without him supporting Zep's music to the end there would never have been a Zeppelin! It was not four members of Zep; It was Five. If Bonham had not been the drummer or if Jones had not been bass, it wouldn't have worked. Grant knew this..It was either all or nothing.

Anyways, Steward's full of SH*T. Seems like jealousy! I don't recall his music going anywhere but blues rock and pop..Ministry does a great parody of "Do you think i'm sexy." I doubt they would NOT do the same with Zep.

When Bonham died, instead of selling out, the band disbanded. (Why do some people think In Through.. was a sell out at the time?!) We all have to give them credit for that!! Steward was never in a 10 year hit career..not that I know of

Excerpt from newspaper interview

SYRACUSE (NY) POST-STANDARD, April 22, 1978

By JOHN WISNIEWSKI

~snip~

"Led Zeppelin only came about because of the Jeff Beck

Group . . . went back to London and formed exactly

the same lineup we had — a singer, a

bass player and a drummer."

~snip~

a power trio with a singer...man, what an original idea! that jeff beck.....

lemme tell you, though, jeff beck can play: live, in the studio, on the moon. all you gotta do is get him to show up. again, as with the nugent thread, one need look no father than the recorded canon of any artist. against led zeppelin, they all pale. while the beatles have the most celebrated recorded catalogue in history, sonically the led zeppelin canon is the benchmark.

even jeff beck knows that, if not rod "the mod"!

Jeff Beck Group was power blues like a lot of acts were doing, like Cream before it or Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Even on the first Zep album they demonstrated far more musical diversity, especially if you also retroactively include Baby, Come on Home.

First of all, Jimmy Page must have lot of guts to get a bass player, dummer, AND a singer for a band.

On a more serious note, I have no problems with Jeff Beck's personality. However, his professional musicianship isn't too great. He has been known to not show up at gigs, throw fits, leave during gigs, etc. It's just my opinion, but unless there is a serious, if people pay money to see you play you need to play the gig.

Jeff's a nice guy but professionally he's always been a bit too flaky and unreliable to pose serious competition to anyone. The nerve of Jimmy Page to form a band with a singer, a bass player and a drummer!

Jimmy (w/The Yardbirds) had played Thee Image Club in Miami April 8-10 1968. He already knew they were breaking up in two months and was already considering putting a new band together. The fact he attended the Jeff Beck Group's gig in Miami, if in fact he did, is just a coincidence. He and Jeff were friends and did share the same manager: Peter Grant.

Edit: A review of The Jeff Beck Group's tour itinerary shows they did not even perform

in Miami until November 15 & 16 1968. Jimmy Page's aforementioned gigs in Miami were

his only visit there during his stint with The Yardbirds. He was on tour in England at the time JBG played Miami in Nov, having performed in Manchester on November 16 1968. I

don't know who the bigger liar is, Rod ("Jimmy ripped us off") or Ronnie ("Peter Grant

asked me to be Led Zeppelin's guitarist"). Too funny!

According to the Chrome Oxide website, Jimmy jammed with the Jeff Beck Group at Thee Image in Miami on 11/15/68. And, for what it's worth, and it may not be much, in Stephen Davis' "Hammer of the Gods," he also mentions Jimmy jamming with Jeff and Rod at Thee Image in Miami. Needless to say, if this jam did take place on 11/15/68, it pretty much nullifies the Manchester gig that Zeppelin allegedly played on 11/16/68 due to the logistics.

It is plausible that the Manchester gig was not played on that date. Especially when you consider that the band last played on 11/9/68 at the London Roundhouse and a fan claims the Sheffield University gig was played on 11/28/68, and not 11/23/68. That would mean the band did not play any other gigs between 11/10/68 through 11/27/68. Perhaps this period of time was when Page and Grant came to NY, met up with record company executives with Led Zeppelin I tapes in hand, and then took in a few Jeff Beck Group shows. I've never seen any definitive proof that the 11/16/68 Manchester gig was actually played on that date.

Edited by mikezep61

The nerve of Jimmy Page to form a band with a singer, a bass player and a drummer!

:lol: Perhaps next Rod will accuse Robert of stealing his originality of having blonde hair, and using a microphone.

:lol: Perhaps next Rod will accuse Robert of stealing his originality of having blonde hair, and using a microphone.

:D Really, what an idiotic statement from Stewart.

I'd be curious what he thinks now, though.

Like whatever Rod had to say in 1978 has any validity...guy had so much

coke up his schnozz back then.

Basically, though, SteveAJones and gollum6668 refute Rod's accusations

very well.

"You Shook Me" was a song that just about EVERY blues-rock band in England

played back in the 60's...it was part of the standard rep, along with "Killing Floor".

Lastly, I believe Led Zeppelin had recorded their first album by October 1968,

which is BEFORE Jimmy would have seen the Jeff Beck Group's Miami gig in November

of that year.

Frankly, whenever I read quotes from Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, Rod Stewart, et al

trying to diss Zep, alot of it comes across as sour grapes and jealousy...that Zeppelin

became SO HUGE...and did it WITHOUT the help of the rock critics and media of the

time. Unlike the Stones and Who who were always sucked up to by the media, esp.

Rolling Stone magazine, which was Jann Wenner's way of hoping to get to sleep with

Mick Jagger.

Frankly, whenever I read quotes from Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, Rod Stewart, et al

trying to diss Zep, alot of it comes across as sour grapes and jealousy...that Zeppelin

became SO HUGE...and did it WITHOUT the help of the rock critics and media of the

time. Unlike the Stones and Who who were always sucked up to by the media, esp.

Rolling Stone magazine, which was Jann Wenner's way of hoping to get to sleep with

Mick Jagger.

Amen dude. Zeppelin did it the hard way, the right way. The fame they got was because they were miles above any other band of that time. The music is going on foutry years and it is still relevant and amazing was it was the day it came out (I'm sure, I wasn't close to being alive). Rolling Stone got it wrong and has since tried to make up for it, but we all know what a sack of dog piss it is now. Led Zeppelin is what Rod Stewart wishes he was: STILL GOING STRONG!