Song Remains the Same spoken intro

Hi there, Led Zeppelin megafan here since the early 80's.

I've searched this forum and the internet but haven't found an answer to this:

From The Song Remains the Same sountrack, in the spoken intro to the title song, what is Robert saying? To me it has always sounded like he calls the song an "actonical" type of thing, but I really can't understand what he's really saying. Does anyone know?

I guess one way to get an answer would be to play the DVD with captions on and see if something shows up.

Thanks!

From The Song Remains the Same sountrack, in the spoken intro to the title song, what is Robert saying? To me it has always sounded like he calls the song an "actonical" type of thing, but I really can't understand what he's really saying. Does anyone know?

I guess one way to get an answer would be to play the DVD with captions on and see if something shows up.

Thanks!

I thought he said Apt title. But I could be wrong.

Yes, he says "this is something we decided was an apt title, for a thing that was called "The Song Remains The Same". But what he says in the film/soundtrack is edited, from two different nights in NY.

This is what is in the movie: "Good evening. Thank you. In between last time we came and this time, we managed to get an album out called Houses Of The Holy and ... this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

This is actually what he said in concert: "So this new album took us quite a while, to get it together, to find a title and things like that - and we were travelling quite a bit - we made a few sort of gestures in the East, and a few gestures in the West, and then we got thrown out because of our gestures - this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

Yes, he says "this is something we decided was an apt title, for a thing that was called "The Song Remains The Same". But what he says in the film/soundtrack is edited, from two different nights in NY.

This is what is in the movie: "Good evening. Thank you. In between last time we came and this time, we managed to get an album out called Houses Of The Holy and ... this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

This is actually what he said in concert: "So this new album took us quite a while, to get it together, to find a title and things like that - and we were travelling quite a bit - we made a few sort of gestures in the East, and a few gestures in the West, and then we got thrown out because of our gestures - this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

Good work. Well done!

Thanks!

HE SAID as a "ACT title"; as in opening "act" as in ;In between last time we came and this time we managed to get an album out called" houses of the holy "this is something we decided as an act title called THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME>then the opening bars to the song "kick in".

HE SAID as a "ACT title"; as in opening "act" as in ;In between last time we came and this time we managed to get an album out called" houses of the holy "this is something we decided as an act title called THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME>then the opening bars to the song "kick in".

act-act act

I must admit that even though I was one of the first to respond here I did until recently (I must have read it around here somewheres....) think he said 'act' title as well.....

I must admit that even though I was one of the first to respond here I did until recently (I must have read it around here somewheres....) think he said 'act' title as well.....

I can see where that's an easy interprertation to make, but in context, it doesn't make sense to me. If it weren't on TSRTS album and movie, where an "act title" would be appropriate in some ways, it falls apart. But that concept came later. The film wasn't named at the time. The show was recorded on the Houses of the Holy tour. TSRTS was not the name or theme of the tour. But an apt title for a thing that's called TSRTS, makes sense as he's introducing the song, not the act. :beer:

Did that make sense? :lol:

I always thought it was ACT title, assuming it was the name of the tour, like the 98 Page/Plant tour was the "Walking Into Everywhere" tour.

According to him it's APT, and he has prolly listened to those shows 10x more than anybody else.

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt8.html

Anybody know what the actual name of the tour was?

Edited by ArmsofAtlas

He could easily be referring to the name of the tour. Actually, the way he says it, it would make more sense.

That's not what he's talking about. Read it again:

"So this new album took us quite a while, to get it together, to find a title and things like that - and we were travelling quite a bit - we made a few sort of gestures in the East, and a few gestures in the West, and then we got thrown out because of our gestures - this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

He's talking about what they did in between albums, and how they came up with the title of the song. He's talking about traveling, then deciding it was an apt title. There's no indication, based on the context of what he's saying, that he's talking about the tour. As Ev said, they didn't call it the "Song Remains The Same Tour" at the time of the tour. The movie title was given 3 years later.

And again, "act" doesn't make any sense: "this is something that we decided was an act title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same." The word "act" doesn't make any sense phonetically in the sentence.

"So this new album took us quite a while, to get it together, to find a title and things like that - and we were travelling quite a bit - we made a few sort of gestures in the East, and a few gestures in the West, and then we got thrown out because of our gestures - this is something that we decided was an apt title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same."

He's talking about what they did in between albums, and how they came up with the title of the song. He's talking about traveling, then deciding it was an apt title. There's no indication, based on the context of what he's saying, that he's talking about the tour. As Ev said, they didn't call it the "Song Remains The Same Tour" at the time of the tour. The movie title was given 3 years later.

And again, "act" doesn't make any sense: "this is something that we decided was an act title for a thing that's called The Song Remains The Same." The word "act" doesn't make any sense phonetically in the sentence.

"In between last time we came, and this time, we managed to get an album out called HotH. This is something that we decided as an apt title, for a thing called TSRTS."

^^That doesn't make sense phoenetically

I always thought it was "...........this is something we decided as an act title. We were thinking it is/was called TSRTS.

ACT makes sense phoenetically, it would just make it redundant.

I agree, after 10 years of thinking it was ACT, I realize now it's APT.

Edited by ArmsofAtlas

"In between last time we came, and this time, we managed to get an album out called HotH. This is something that we decided as an apt title, for a thing called TSRTS."

^^That doesn't make sense phoenetically

I always thought it was "...........this is something we decided as an act title. We were thinking it is/was called TSRTS.

ACT makes sense phoenetically, it would just make it redundant.

I agree, after 10 years of thinking it was ACT, I realize now it's APT.

I've always heard it to be "apt" and that makes sense to me. Something being an appropriate title for a song...

I've always heard it to be "apt" and that makes sense to me. Something being an appropriate title for a song...

Well, get in the prize line, behind everybody else that thought that too.