100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time

Jahfin

20947945-20947946-slarge.jpg

The new issue of Rolling Stone not only has a cover that features a who’s who of six-string greats but also boasts the RS-curated list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time. Chuck Berry’s 1958 dawn of rock classic “Johnny B. Goode” leads a list that includes legends like Hendrix, Clapton, Page and Santana. Click below to check out the complete list and to find out if your favorite jam made the cut.

The 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time

-Freebird is overplayed on radio and maybe is over saturated, but its definitly higher then #64 of the best guitar tracks

-Where is Helter Skelter? an obvious choice

-could have added Heartbreaker, Kashmir or Achilles Last Stand

-Layla is a top 100 guitar track, should have been on there

-Satisfaction should be in the top 10, not out of the top 100

-Smoke on the Water...? again, the Freebird argument

-Tom Petty could have gotten in for a better track then American Girl (i.e. Mary Jane's Last Dance)

I'm about to sound really stupid, but is that Jimmy Page on the cover. I feel so dumb not recognizing him, but I can't get a bigger picture picture and not used to him those clothes, so I can't tell.

Is that a mullet that he's sporting? e looks good, younger than his age. The silver hair ages him, but it looks good silver. I think it would look unnatural if he died it.

I'm about to sound really stupid, but is that Jimmy Page on the cover. I feel so dumb not recognizing him, but I can't get a bigger picture picture and not used to him those clothes, so I can't tell.

He's got the Rambo style military jacket. That's B.A.

He's got the Rambo style military jacket. That's B.A.

It is pretty cool. I still can't over the mullet. I'm not making fun of it or aynthing but that is the last thing I'd expect from him.

They should have called the list "100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time that the casual listener who isn't a hardcore music fan will recognize". Too many cliche and predictable entries. I'm being somewhat facetious but it is kind of pathetic that some hack like John Mayer, who's tired rehash of SRV licks aren't even up to par with other current Vaughanabee's like Henry Garza, gets mentioned yet they fail to include a decent real blues player like Albert Collins. However they throw some weird stuff in like Moby Grape's Omaha. It's amazing anyone at RS is still hip enough to name drop Moby Grape, even if the song they chose was obvious.

Even though any "Greatest" whatever is pointless, as I was once informed here, I'd like to review this. But where is the actual list? Am I supposed to click on 40 pages of mostly predictable complaints from other posters to read all this - and then check back here when I'm done reading all this 40 years from now?

Even though any "Greatest" whatever is pointless, as I was once informed here, I'd like to review this. But where is the actual list? Am I supposed to click on 40 pages of mostly predictable complaints from other posters to read all this - and then check back here when I'm done reading all this 40 years from now?

Yeah, it was a pain in the butt to click the 40 pages, but I had to see if they included Aqualung. What irks me is they put Page on the cover and if memory serves, only include one predictable song of his in the list - STH. Anything to sell issues, put Page on the cover.

Yeah I don't know about Mississippi Queen as a "greatest guitar song". Sure it is arguably Mountain's most famous tune but they had many songs with more impressive guitar playing than MQ. I find it more strange that they didn't include one Thin Lizzy or Iron Maiden song.

I haven't clicked through all 40 pages either but Zeppelin was also listed for Whole Lotta Love. Kind of makes sense that they didn't put the entire list on one page since each entry comes with a brief description along with links to listen and/or watch. There's also the option of actually reading the magazine itself but then you have to indulge in the cumbersome trouble of flipping pages as opposed to clicking a mouse.

Yeah, it was a pain in the butt to click the 40 pages, but I had to see if they included Aqualung. What irks me is they put Page on the cover and if memory serves, only include one predictable song of his in the list - STH. Anything to sell issues, put Page on the cover.

If that's true, then the RS article title is FALSE ADVERTISING ! ! ! !

The iconic STH is played on a "12" string, as far as the general public knows.....

I would consider it a "pain" to listen to this track list.

But, for the uneducated and the uninformed, I'm sure this list will be relevatory, perhaps for those youths somewhere in Communist China, that haven't grown up with this music already. B):D

Archived