The first act of the evening will be....

According to Yes bassist Chris Squire, the opening act will be a prog 'supergroup' comprising himself plus drummer Alan White (Yes), drummer Simon Kirke (Free/Bad Co.), Keith Emerson and possibly others, and will start the evening with a rendition of 'Fanfare for the Common Man' (as done by ELP) with the help of some trumpeters.

:) Well, it can only get better from there.... :lol;

just joking, any super-group with two drummers is ok by me. :)

Maybe Jeff Beck will play guitar with them....

Is that the group that Paul Rogers is going to sing with?

Pete Townsend dropped out, right? and these guys are taking his place.

According to Yes bassist Chris Squire, the opening act will be a prog 'supergroup' comprising himself plus drummer Alan White (Yes), drummer Simon Kirke (Free/Bad Co.), Keith Emerson and possibly others, and will start the evening with a rendition of 'Fanfare for the Common Man' (as done by ELP) with the help of some trumpeters.

Or maybe Squire and White can simply team-up with Jimmy and Robert, and call their supergroup XYZ or something ;-)

I wouldn't want ANY part of being the opening act - "supergroup" or not!

First of all there will be only ONE Supergroup there that night, secondly, who would want to be playing with all the calls for: ZEPPELIN!! while your trying to sing and play.

Anyone playing before Zep will be a temporary indulgence at best.

Yeah, it will definitely be a tough job opening for Zep.

They proved themselves to be an impossible act to follow and

nearly impossible to even open for, so I don't envy any of the opening acts.

This group is kind of interesting, though,

What the heck are they gonna play???

Two guys from Yes (one for only a brief period, who also played with Plastic Ono Band),

obviously one of the namesakes of ELP, Bad Company's drummer... maybe Paul Rogers too?

Somebody start a set list thread for these guys! :):lol: (this one will do) :)

it's anybody's guess.

I want to see how Bill Wyman's group go down. I saw them at a charity show in Manchester a couple of years ago and they were the sort of thing you'd try and ignore if they were playing in the pub on a Sunday afternoon. God knows what they'll be like at something as big as this.

John Paul Jones did play at that show as well though, and at the end they did one of those everyone-on-the-stage things and there was a moment where JPJ and Bill Wyman were standing next to each other chatting while they played. The former bass players from two of the biggest bands around.

Thing is, Wyman had a bass and JPJ had a mandolin. B)

First of all there will be only ONE Supergroup there that night, secondly, who would want to be playing with all the calls for: ZEPPELIN!! while your trying to sing and play.

I don't agree there. Of course Zeppelin are the reason 99.9% of the audience will be there, but don't forget this is a tribute show and there are others who want to pay their respects. I'm sure the audience will be up for a great time and pay the other acts their due respect.

Two guys from Yes (one for only a brief period, who also played with Plastic Ono Band),

obviously one of the namesakes of ELP, Bad Company's drummer... maybe Paul Rogers too?

Both Chris Squire & Alan White are very long-time members of Yes. Granted White wasn't the original drummer but he has been associated with them far longer than Bill Bruford was.

Rick Wakeman was supposed to play too but couldn't make the re-arranged date (I'm not sure if Anderson & Howe were lined up).

Paul Rodgers is supposed to be doing 'Alright Now' & one other. Hopefully with Simon Kirke!

I was at the Atlantic Records reunion in 1988 at MSG. We had 12 hours of various acts before Zep was to hit the stage at 1am. And I can tell you one thing: the lucky ones, like Genesis, Yes and a few others got polite applauses. The Bee Gees, Debbie Gibson and other pop acts got booed loudly. Everyone was there for Zep. At the time, I thought it was rude to boo anyone, especially at a a benefit/tribute show.

But given the crowd will be older and hopefully more mature this time around, no one will show disrespect to any of the support acts.

I feel sorry for whoever opens. They will probably play great and still get booed off the stage with chants of bring on Led Zepp. After all, think of the dude in Scotland who paid $238 grand for his tickets. he wants to see Zeppelin for as long as possible.

No offence, this isn't New York. No-one will get booed. There are some great performers playing before Zeppelin and everyone knows this show is for other artists to pay tribute too. :rolleyes:

No offence, this isn't New York. No-one will get booed. There are some great performers playing before Zeppelin and everyone knows this show is for other artists to pay tribute too. :rolleyes:

I Totally agree with you Hot Dog.

Lets not forget that if it wasn't for the charity event in the first place we wouldn't be getting to see LZ.

The calibre and pedigree of most of the musicians playin support is without question and I'm sure will only add to the whole event.

:mellow::mellow:

I LOVE your optimism HD...I hope you're right. Remember though, there are "fans" coming in from all over the world and not everyone shares your English proper...

I feel sorry for whoever opens. They will probably play great and still get booed off the stage with chants of bring on Led Zepp. After all, think of the dude in Scotland who paid $238 grand for his tickets. he wants to see Zeppelin for as long as possible.

I ain't booing my mates from Yes. One of the great bands of all time in my opinion. Although I might be tempted with Bill Wyman and his rhythm twats :rolleyes:

I LOVE your optimism HD...I hope you're right. Remember though, there a "fans" coming in from all over the world and not everyone shares your English proper...

Well, if anyone standing next to me starts booing, say, Paul Rodgers - simply because he's not a member of Led Zeppelin, I'll, erm, politely inform them that it's simply not the done thing. If that doesn't work I'll do my best Peter Grant impression... :angry:

I saw Paul Rodgers in Atlanta this Fall doing stuff rom Free, Bad Company and The Firm.

He was/is an excellent performer and in fabulous voice.

IMHO we will see two of the greatest rock vocalist of all time with Paul and Robert on stage on the same night.

When Paul does his set...and if you have not seen him in years....you will be VERY pleased at his performance...and I will guarantee you he will have the 02 off of their feet.

Just remember Stryder1 told you so.

I ain't booing my mates from Yes. One of the great bands of all time in my opinion. Although I might be tempted with Bill Wyman and his rhythm twats :rolleyes:

Oh good - I won't be the only Yes fan in the audience :) I'm very pleased to see Chris Squire and Alan White. I love me some Simon Kirke too. But doing an ELP song? Thank you, but no. Not a fan.

Bill Wyman gets major props for being in The Stones for so many years. Foreigner without Lou Gramm - what's the point?

I saw Paul Rodgers in Atlanta this Fall doing stuff rom Free, Bad Company and The Firm.

He was/is an excellent performer and in fabulous voice.

IMHO we will see two of the greatest rock vocalist of all time with Paul and Robert on stage on the same night.

When Paul does his set...and if you have not seen him in years....you will be VERY pleased at his performance...and I will guarantee you he will have the 02 off of their feet.

Just remember Stryder1 told you so.

Ditto Ditto :cheer::cheer::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Atleast the Spice Girls or some such group won't be playing. As mentioned above, sitting through Debbie Gibson at Atlantic's 40th was pure torture.

Well, I'm thankful that Madonna is not hogging this event .... Zeppelin are the ones that deserve all of the attention now..

What will the start time be ??

When will the doors open ??

Has Prince William or Prince Harry said that they are coming ??

Archived