Tea For One Bonamassa

andyc

IMHO, and I've never said this before and don't think I will again about a Zeppelin song, but Joe Bonamassas version is better than the original. Anyone think the same?

Jason's playing the drums so it is going to sound fantastic :D But, yeah it is a superb version...imo, definitely on par with the original.

IMHO, and I've never said this before and don't think I will again about a Zeppelin song, but Joe Bonamassas version is better than the original. Anyone think the same?

It's funny, I just downloaded Bonamossa's version a few days ago, and it's real good. But I would never say it's a sood as the originial, let alone better.

I remember reading in Halfin's blog when this song came out that Jimmy liked it but thought Bonamossa's soloing was a little "show offy," or words to that effect. And I agree with him.

Jimmy's soloing was so expressive on this song because he left spaces for the song to breathe and held back admirably when it could have been tempting to go over the top. Bonamossa goes over the top at the drop of a hat and there are times when it sounds like he's trying to prove how fast he can play rather than serving the emotion of the song. That kind of playing makes me numb after a while.

Well done, but not better than the original IMHO...

I have to give JB credit, it's an excellent version- one of the best cover versions of a Zeppelin song I've ever heard. But it still doesn't quite top the original.

If there's any Jethro Tull fans who know one of their early songs "A New Day Yesterday"- JB does a version of this that IMO definitely is superior to the original ( which is in itself a great song).

"Tea for One" has long been one of my favorite Zep songs. There is so much emotion and beauty and passion - especially in Jimmy's guitar solo. I really like Joe Bonamassa's version and agree that it is probably one of the best covers of any Zep song that I've heard. All that said, in my personal opinion, as fine as it is, I don't think it matches or exceeds the original Zep version.

"Tea for One" has long been one of my favorite Zep songs. There is so much emotion and beauty and passion - especially in Jimmy's guitar solo. I really like Joe Bonamassa's version and agree that it is probably one of the best covers of any Zep song that I've heard. All that said, in my personal opinion, as fine as it is, I don't think it matches or exceeds the original Zep version.

I agree with this 100% - JBs version is excellent and since the 1st time i heard it it has been on my favorites list. That being said, it could never top the original -- who could play zep better than zep? IMO, tea for one is the highlight of both Presence and JBs album You and Me. It's just a great song. It seems to me that JB played a bit over the top as compared to Page playing it a bit more understated by comparison, but both work for me personally.

Vocally, though - JB cannot touch Plant.

Also - it seems more like a tribute than a ripoff.

Not a bad version at all.

Check out Virtual Zeppelin on You Tube.This dude sounds as close to Plant as anyone I've ever heard.All musicians are outstanding,note for note it seems.

I agree with this 100% - JBs version is excellent and since the 1st time i heard it it has been on my favorites list. That being said, it could never top the original -- who could play zep better than zep? IMO, tea for one is the highlight of both Presence and JBs album You and Me. It's just a great song. It seems to me that JB played a bit over the top as compared to Page playing it a bit more understated by comparison, but both work for me personally.

Vocally, though - JB cannot touch Plant.

Also - it seems more like a tribute than a ripoff.

Well said - I don't think that anyone could play Zep better than Zep. Tea for One is not only a highlight of Presence, I think that, outside of Zep fans, it's an underrated treasure of a song. I never thought that JB's version of Tea for One was a rip-off - I thought of it in a similar way as I did Stevie Ray Vaughan doing Hendrix's Little Wing - as you say, a tribute.

Well said - I don't think that anyone could play Zep better than Zep. Tea for One is not only a highlight of Presence, I think that, outside of Zep fans, it's an underrated treasure of a song. I never thought that JB's version of Tea for One was a rip-off - I thought of it in a similar way as I did Stevie Ray Vaughan doing Hendrix's Little Wing - as you say, a tribute.

exactly. i heard an interview once with Ted Nugent where he was asked what he felt was the greatest guitar moment of all time and he said SRV's Little Wing. while awesome, i have an issue with that being considered greater than the original for some reason. anyway - not to belabor this point, from the first time i heard Tea for One I felt it was terrific and was surprised that it was not more popular. when i saw that someone has covered it - i felt that this was an album worth looking into :)

Ummmmm, No! It's a well done reproduction of a masterpiece but that's about it.

I havent heard it, but Joe Bonamassa, is pretty good, saw him last month, tight little blues band, during a jam they went into a section of Dazed and Confused, hes almost 30, he grew up I think within an hour of me, so he played alot around here when his career started, and no kidding I first saw him here in Rochester, NY, at a blues fest, opening for BB King, and Smoking Joe Bonamassa as he was called then was 13 years old!!!

I have to give JB credit, it's an excellent version- one of the best cover versions of a Zeppelin song I've ever heard. But it still doesn't quite top the original.

If there's any Jethro Tull fans who know one of their early songs "A New Day Yesterday"- JB does a version of this that IMO definitely is superior to the original ( which is in itself a great song).

It isn't. In my opinion.

It's a great song to begin with. Joe does a very nice job of keeping it pretty true to itself. A bit flashy but I put that down to him being a young player. Like a number of those guy's, they need to learn when to stop playing and let the song carry itself a bit.

Very good version though

Archived