Why didnt Zep tour in '74?

LedZep1969

Was someone sick or something?

A collective decision was made not to tour in '74. They'd toured non-stop since their

formation in '68. Also, Robert required some recovery time following surgery to remove polyps on his vocal cords. It was also felt the band should turn their attention to the

next album and new business ventures...

JPJ had become ill during the initial recording sessions for the sixth album in Nov '73,

which resulted in the sessions being cut short. They regrouped in Feb '74 and continued to work on the album through the Spring. The launch of the Swan Song label and work

on their unfinished concert film - in addition to final mixing of the album - consumed the remainder of the year.

A collective decision was made not to tour in '74. They'd toured non-stop since their

formation in '68. Also, Robert required some recovery time following surgery to remove polyps on his vocal cords. It was also felt the band should turn their attention to the

next album and new business ventures...

JPJ had become ill during the initial recording sessions for the sixth album in Nov '73,

which resulted in the sessions being cut short. They regrouped in Feb '74 and continued to work on the album through the Spring. The launch of the Swan Song label and work

on their unfinished concert film - in addition to final mixing of the album - consumed the remainder of the year.

You hit it right on the mark! I guess that Jimmy had songs in the vault from THE HOUSES OF THE HOLY sessions and combined them with the new songs therefore creating a two-record set. THE LAUNCH OF SWAN SONG was the big headline for LED ZEPPELIN. I guess that you can say that 1975 made up for 1974. ROCK ON!

Jones supposedly went to Grant after the '73 tour with news he was quitting LZ. Grant told him to keep it a secret from the rest of the group for the time being and relax, the band would NEVER tour the way they had ever again. Could this be another reason why LZ dropped off the map in 1974? Was Jones truly going to quit, or is it a rumor?

Jones supposedly went to Grant after the '73 tour with news he was quitting LZ. Grant told him to keep it a secret from the rest of the group for the time being and relax, the band would NEVER tour the way they had ever again. Could this be another reason why LZ dropped off the map in 1974? Was Jones truly going to quit, or is it a rumor?

He was entertaining the idea of becoming a choirmaster for a cathedral, however I don't know how serious he was about it. Certainly he approached Grant with his concerns about the touring schedules (Jones had 3 young children). Grant probably promised that the touring from then on wouldn't be as strenuous.

I don't think it was as dire as has been reported in some places, but certainly he was unhappy with things as they were.

He was entertaining the idea of becoming a choirmaster for a cathedral, however I don't know how serious he was about it. Certainly he approached Grant with his concerns about the touring schedules (Jones had 3 young children). Grant probably promised that the touring from then on wouldn't be as strenuous.

I don't think it was as dire as has been reported in some places, but certainly he was unhappy with things as they were.

Yeah, it would've been crazy to walk away from that cash cow to be a choirmaster. Great story, thanks for reminding me of it! Do you think there might be other reasons for Jones' discontent, Cactus? Was roadwork the main factor, or maybe some personality differences in the band?

The band lived in each other's pockets the first three years of LZ. But the touring had tapered off years ago to at least sane levels. 1972 was less than 70 days on the road. 13 days (not shows) in Australia; two dates in Holland and Belgium in late May; 22 days in America in June; 8 days in Japan in October; and more or less 24 days in Britain in December. Basically 1973 was three more weeks in England in January; three weeks in Germany in March; and three weeks in America in May and July. All those tours were interspersed with at least a month off. That is by no means grueling; I know traveling salesmen who are on the road 45 weeks a year for years on end.

I understand there's travel involved but even in the 70s you could be anywhere you wanted on the globe within a day. I understand there's writing and recording involved but recording Led Zeppelin albums was seldom a long process, they recorded at least three albums in three weeks. Jones surely had plenty of downtime, Page was the one who spent untold hours in post-production.

And didn't Jones distance himself from the band on the road afterwards, especially in 1977? For what it's worth Richard Cole speculated Jones' didn't seem to enjoy their company.' If that's true, why was he surprised when the Page/Plant tours excluded him? Zeppelin never toured the way P/P did!!

Yeah, it would've been crazy to walk away from that cash cow to be a choirmaster. Great story, thanks for reminding me of it! Do you think there might be other reasons for Jones' discontent, Cactus? Was roadwork the main factor, or maybe some personality differences in the band?

And didn't Jones distance himself from the band on the road afterwards, especially in 1977? For what it's worth Richard Cole speculated Jones' didn't seem to enjoy their company.' If that's true, why was he surprised when the Page/Plant tours excluded him? Zeppelin never toured the way P/P did!!

The choirmaster canard was addressed extensively in a JPJ to quit LZ thread. Insofar

as the 77' tour for the most part he travelled separately with his family.

They may not have been on the road for a huge number of days, but if his kids were home, and amount of time on the road could have been upsetting. Also don't forget the legendary antics they got up to on the road - 70 days with zep was no picnic.

No they were probably just too tired after Zep tours 69/70/71/72/73...

I mean why they couldn't go for a 6th straight year on the road of nothing but touring is beyond me...I think they were just pussies....

They may not have been on the road for a huge number of days, but if his kids were home, and amount of time on the road could have been upsetting. Also don't forget the legendary antics they got up to on the road - 70 days with zep was no picnic.

You got that right! It's understandable Jonesy not wanting to be separated from his kids especially when he didn't need the money. And Led Zeppelin were a heavy band in more ways than one. I'm sure that took its toll on Jones' nerves, i.e. some of the exploits of Peter Grant are hair-raising to read about, one can only imagine being an eyewitness.

The first time I saw Peter Grant I didn't know who he was. The date was August 4, 1969 and the band was playing in an arena used for rodeos; the marquee outside read: The Lead Zeppelins. Before Dazed and Confused began I noticed Plant talking with a huge fat man on the side of the stage. Plant approached the microphone and informed the audience that although the band was advertised on the bill for the Lewisville Pop Festival (Aug 31) they had, in fact, "not even been asked to play." The crowd booed loudly and then the band played Dazed and Confused. Before the next song and after another consultation with the big guy Plant announced, "We're happy to say we've just been asked to play the Festival." Crowd goes wild, blah blah. I always wondered what kind of powerplay was going on on the sidelines. Maybe Grant was showing what a drawing card his act was to Angus Wynne III of Wynne Entertainment, promoter for the Texas International Pop Festival. Or maybe Grant was driving the band's price up to $13,000.

Or maybe Percy just said it for crowd reaction. :o

• 4 weeks later...

The way I heard it is that the band spent a lot of '74 in tax exile. The thing with Plant's voice wasn't revealed publicly until like 20 years afterward.

That's an interesting twist to things if the JPJ quit rumor has any validity to it. And if it's true, then his lines after seeing the telegram in The Song Remains The Same (movie), "Ah, TOUR DATES!", is especially ironic.

I wonder.

The way I heard it is that the band spent a lot of '74 in tax exile. The thing with Plant's voice wasn't revealed publicly until like 20 years afterward.

They lived as tax exiles for portions of '75 & '76, staying with Claude Nobs in Montreux,

among other places.

• 1 month later...

JPJ said in a recent interview how he led two lives on tours, how he held court part time with the band partaking in antics and part time wandering off being "normal". So I don't think it's fair to say that he hated touring or was a party pooper.

I thought they did, but maybe it was only guest appearances, like Jimmy and Bonzo with Roy Harper and launch Swan Song?

Live Performances: 1974

2/14/74 London, England Rainbow Theatre

Page, Plant and Bonham attend Roy Harper's St. Valentine's Day concert and join in for a few songs

9/1/74 Austin, TX University of Texas Memorial Stadium

ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barndance and Bar B.Q.

Page joins Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby' upon their request that he do so…Santana co-headlined, with Joe Cocker and Bad Company opening

9/4/74 New York, NY Central Park

Schaefer Music Festival

Page attends this event with Peter Grant; watches side stage and joins Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

12/19 or 21/74 London, England Rainbow Theatre

Page and Jones join Bad Company and Duster Bennett for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

• 4 weeks later...
Was'nt Jimmy also working on the Lucifer Rising project that year

Jimmy and Kenneth met for the first time in 1971 at an auction of Crowley manuscripts at Sotheby's in London where Jimmy had outbid him on a book. Shortly thereafter,

Kenneth visited Jimmy's home to see his extensive collection of Crowley books. They collaborated on what was the first gallery exhibit of Crowley's paintings and drawings. That same year (1971), Jimmy visited Kenneth at his apartment and Kenneth outlined his idea for a film that he had already begun shooting in Egypt. Jimmy accepted a commission to provide the music. This same year, Jimmy put Kenneth up in Boleskine House on Loch Ness.

As late as November 1972 Jimmy was steadily working on what was to become known as the Soundtrack for the film Lucifer Rising. His commitment to the project waned,

though a couple years later Kenneth was staying in the basement of Tower House in Kensington.

While touring in February 1975, Jimmy rented a film projector to screen films and a private print of 'Lucifer Rising' in his hotel room suite at the Plaza Hotel in New York.

The front desk received complaints from six floors below.

Ultimately, Jimmy and Kenneth had a falling out over Kenneth's expectations. Kenneth

subsequently launched into a series of diatribes in the UK press which Jimmy shrugged off in a nonchalant manner.

Didn't they consider playing Knebworth in 1974? I'm sure Freddie Bannister thought he'd signed them only to have to change his plans later on - eventually getting the Allman Bros etc.

'Led Zeppelin Turn Down Knebworth' Melody Maker June 1972

'Zeppelin, Allmans!' (front cover announcement) Melody Maker May 25, 1974

'Letter From Britain' (Led Zeppelin turn down Knebworth) Creem Oct 1974

Jimmy and Kenneth met for the first time in 1971 at an auction of Crowley manuscripts at Sotheby's in London where Jimmy had outbid him on a book. Shortly thereafter,

Kenneth visited Jimmy's home to see his extensive collection of Crowley books. They collaborated on what was the first gallery exhibit of Crowley's paintings and drawings. That same year (1971), Jimmy visited Kenneth at his apartment and Kenneth outlined his idea for a film that he had already begun shooting in Egypt. Jimmy accepted a commission to provide the music. This same year, Jimmy put Kenneth up in Boleskine House on Loch Ness.

As late as November 1972 Jimmy was steadily working on what was to become known as the Soundtrack for the film Lucifer Rising. His commitment to the project waned,

though a couple years later Kenneth was staying in the basement of Tower House in Kensington.

While touring in February 1975, Jimmy rented a film projector to screen films and a private print of 'Lucifer Rising' in his hotel room suite at the Plaza Hotel in New York.

The front desk received complaints from six floors below.

Ultimately, Jimmy and Kenneth had a falling out over Kenneth's expectations. Kenneth

subsequently launched into a series of diatribes in the UK press which Jimmy shrugged off in a nonchalant manner.

I knew it was a project that kind of went off and on over a period of time which I thought included 1974.

As it turned out 1974 was a pretty busy year considering starting Swan Song, writing and recording Physical Grafitti,and working on the Song Remains The Same.

Archived