HAPPY 29TH ANNIVERSARY LED ZEPPELIN AT KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL 4 AUGUST 1979!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I FINALLY FOUND THE THREADS THAT I AM LOOKING FOR! It is now going to be 30 YEARS this year. And to celebrate 30 years this year, I will be doing the same thing this year that I did last year. I welcome all your comments, I will also post a comment on 4 & 5 August 2009 as well as 11 & 12 August 2009. Now I have to find the other KNEBWORTH thread. In the mean time, ROCK ON my friends!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the KNEBWORTH 4 August 1979 Anniversary Celebration Day went well for all of you. My Celebration Day is finally over and the showing of my LED ZEPPELIN complete KNEBWORTH 4 August 1979 2-DVD set at my friend's bar was a complete success. It was a packed crowd with no seating left resulting in people having to stand and watch the show. Everyone in the bar had a great time watching the mighty LED ZEPPELIN kick ass on stage one more time. Watching the whole crowd cheer for the mighty LED ZEPPELIN, there is STILL not a doubt in my mind, after all of these years, that ZEPPELIN'S music will live forever. And YES, I toasted to all of the attendees at the KNEBWORTH Festival. ROCK ON!

It's the 30th Anniversary, not 29th!

How's it going "aen27?" I hope all is well with you. Please read post #37 and continue on. I didn't feel like starting another thread for the 30th anniversary so I used my 29th anniversary thread instead. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON!

This thread was opened on 4. August 2008, thus 29th.

How's it going "glicine?" I hope all is well with you. Please read my post beginning with post #37 and continue on. I did not feel like beginning a new thread for the 30th anniversary so I used the 29th anniversary instead. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

How's it going "glicine?" I hope all is well with you. Please read my post beginning with post #37 and continue on. I did not feel like beginning a new thread for the 30th anniversary so I used the 29th anniversary instead. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

ZeppFanForever, have you realized that I was explaining exactly your reason to Aen27?

How's it going "Phil B?" I hope all is well with you. Other than BIGDAN A.K.A. Danny, it really feels great conversing with someone who was actually there in order to share some very special moments with one of the Top 2 all-time greatest bands ever! I am looking forward to conversing with you more concerning both KNEBWORTH shows in the near furure. As for the "Secrets Revealed" DVD, I have heard of so many different versions that are on 1 DVD DL or 1 DVD-R DL (Double Layer) as well as on a 2-DVD or 2-DVD-R set. There are some versions that are supposedly using the WatchTower label that are not by Watchtower. I own the genuine original 2-DVD set by Watchtower (Not on DVD-R's) and the picture and sound quality is very good. I wish that there was a 3-DVD set on the 4 August 1979 show, the quality would be so much better. Which "Secrets Revealed" do you own? Again, I am looking forward to conversing with you further on both KNEBWORTH shows. In the mean time, thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

Hi ZeppFanForever

Not sure which version I own. I got a copy on 2 DVD-Rs. I know there are a couple of small sections on the 2nd disc where video is missing and is replaced with crowd recorded audio dubbed over slo-mo sections of film. (A little annoying!). I will watch the DVDs again (any excuse) to see if there are any other distinguishing flaws which might help identify what version I have. Have you any pointers?

Did you go to both shows? If so which do you think was the best? I only went to the first show :-( Where were you? I was in the centre of the crowd about 1/4 of the way back from the stage. I was wearing a Led Zep t-shirt!! ha.ha.

I wish they had played something better than HOT DOG! that night. I guess it was just a bit of fun!!

Hi ZeppFanForever

Not sure which version I own. I got a copy on 2 DVD-Rs. I know there are a couple of small sections on the 2nd disc where video is missing and is replaced with crowd recorded audio dubbed over slo-mo sections of film. (A little annoying!). I will watch the DVDs again (any excuse) to see if there are any other distinguishing flaws which might help identify what version I have. Have you any pointers?

Did you go to both shows? If so which do you think was the best? I only went to the first show :-( Where were you? I was in the centre of the crowd about 1/4 of the way back from the stage. I was wearing a Led Zep t-shirt!! ha.ha.

I wish they had played something better than HOT DOG! that night. I guess it was just a bit of fun!!

How's it going "Phil B?" I hope all is well with you. Unfortunately, I did not go to neither KNEBWORTH shows in person, all I can do is dream that I did. I did see LED ZEPPELIN twice during the 1977 Tour. I am really sorry that you did not get the best version, I can honestly say that I own one of the top 2 best versions of the 4 August 1979 available. There is no audience recording or overdubs on my 2-DVD set of any kind. One way to identify which show it is, is there any audio problems during the beginning of the song "Over The Hills And Far Away?" If there isn't, its the 4 August 1979 show. If there is, its the 11 August 1979 show. I am looking forward to your response. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

How's it going "Phil B?" I hope all is well with you. Unfortunately, I did not go to neither KNEBWORTH shows in person, all I can do is dream that I did. I did see LED ZEPPELIN twice during the 1977 Tour. I am really sorry that you did not get the best version, I can honestly say that I own one of the top 2 best versions of the 4 August 1979 available. There is no audience recording or overdubs on my 2-DVD set of any kind. One way to identify which show it is, is there any audio problems during the beginning of the song "Over The Hills And Far Away?" If there isn't, its the 4 August 1979 show. If there is, its the 11 August 1979 show. I am looking forward to your response. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

Hi ZFF

Over the Hills and Far Away is OK on my DVD. However, the intro to White Summer - Black Mountain is audience dubbed and the video is made up of other clips. I do have a copy of the 11th Aug performance too. I have only played this a couple of times as I wasn't at that gig.

PB

Hi ZFF

Over the Hills and Far Away is OK on my DVD. However, the intro to White Summer - Black Mountain is audience dubbed and the video is made up of other clips. I do have a copy of the 11th Aug performance too. I have only played this a couple of times as I wasn't at that gig.

PB

How's it going "Phil B?" I hope all is well with you. From what you described, chances are, it is the 4 August 1979 show. How is the picture and sound quality of your 11 August 1979 show? How many DVD's for the 11 August 1979 show? My 11 August 1979 show is excellent picture and sound quality and is a 3-DVD set (Not DVD-R's). I was so lucky to find this collection. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON my friend!

Hoky smokes! 30 years gone already?!?

Well, the thing I remember most about that August 4, 1979 is being depressed that I didn't win the tickets to Knebworth that LA radio station KMET 94.7 FM was giving away to any lucky callers.

So I listened to the radio that weekend on pins and needles, just hoping to hear any reports come in from Knebworth and more news about the upcoming album, "In Through the Out Door".

I didn't actually get to see or hear any of the Knebworth footage until 1989 when I purchased a VHS copy of the August 11th show...let's just say I was slightly disappointed, especially since I had for years counted the 3-record set "Copenhagen Warm-ups" of the July 24, 1979 gig, bought at an Austin, TX record store in 1981, among my favourite Zeppelin bootlegs.

How could they sound so good in Copenhagen and so lousy at Knebworth? My interest in acquiring any more Knebworth boots waned after getting that video.

But then, in 2003, when the DVD came out, I was fascinated by how great the Knebworth stuff was...and that is when I saw that it was mostly taken from the August 4th performance. That's when I started looking out for the August 4th Knebworth on DVD...and found one on the Boogie Mama label

entitled "The First Night".

This definitely was an improvement over the August 11 VHS I suffered with all those years. In fact, I traded my Aug. 11 Knebworth video in, since I knew I would never want to watch it again.

Now that we can see how good the band actually was(ok, they weren't in 1970-73 peak form), I am again bummed I didn't win those Knebby tix.

Just like I didn't win the O2 reunion lotto. :angry:

But hey, to all those that were at Knebworth 30 years ago, whether the 4th or 11th or both, I'll raise a glass to you and say "Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Cheers!

Hoky smokes! 30 years gone already?!?

Well, the thing I remember most about that August 4, 1979 is being depressed that I didn't win the tickets to Knebworth that LA radio station KMET 94.7 FM was giving away to any lucky callers.

So I listened to the radio that weekend on pins and needles, just hoping to hear any reports come in from Knebworth and more news about the upcoming album, "In Through the Out Door".

I didn't actually get to see or hear any of the Knebworth footage until 1989 when I purchased a VHS copy of the August 11th show...let's just say I was slightly disappointed, especially since I had for years counted the 3-record set "Copenhagen Warm-ups" of the July 24, 1979 gig, bought at an Austin, TX record store in 1981, among my favourite Zeppelin bootlegs.

How could they sound so good in Copenhagen and so lousy at Knebworth? My interest in acquiring any more Knebworth boots waned after getting that video.

But then, in 2003, when the DVD came out, I was fascinated by how great the Knebworth stuff was...and that is when I saw that it was mostly taken from the August 4th performance. That's when I started looking out for the August 4th Knebworth on DVD...and found one on the Boogie Mama label

entitled "The First Night".

This definitely was an improvement over the August 11 VHS I suffered with all those years. In fact, I traded my Aug. 11 Knebworth video in, since I knew I would never want to watch it again.

Now that we can see how good the band actually was(ok, they weren't in 1970-73 peak form), I am again bummed I didn't win those Knebby tix.

Just like I didn't win the O2 reunion lotto. :angry:

But hey, to all those that were at Knebworth 30 years ago, whether the 4th or 11th or both, I'll raise a glass to you and say "Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Cheers!

How's it going "Strider?" I hope all is well with you. I have the KNEBWORTH 11 August 1979 show on VHS and it was absolutely HORRIBLE! I have bought so many DVD collections (Boogie Mama Label included) on both KNEBWORTH shows that it was easy to choose the best overall ultimate picture and sound quality DVD for both shows. The winners were the 2-DVD set (Not DVD-R's) of "Secrets Revealed" on the Watchtower Label. The picture and sound quality is excellent. The 11 August 1979 does not have a label but it is a 3-DVD set (Not DVD-R's) and the picture and sound quality is excellent to outstanding! These two particular DVD collections are the two best versions of the KNEBWORTH shows that I have ever seen. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

How's it going "Phil B?" I hope all is well with you. From what you described, chances are, it is the 4 August 1979 show. How is the picture and sound quality of your 11 August 1979 show? How many DVD's for the 11 August 1979 show? My 11 August 1979 show is excellent picture and sound quality and is a 3-DVD set (Not DVD-R's). I was so lucky to find this collection. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON my friend!

Hi ZFF

It's going well. My 11th Aug show is better quality and is on 3 DVD-Rs. Do you know where I could track down a better 4th Aug show? or get a copy?

PB

Hi ZFF

It's going well. My 11th Aug show is better quality and is on 3 DVD-Rs. Do you know where I could track down a better 4th Aug show? or get a copy?

PB

How's it going "Phil B?" I'll PM you and refer you to someone that can help you. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

How's it going "ledzepfvr?" Ah, you have the regular DVD release, that is not the complete show. I have BOTH KNEBWORTH shows in their entirety with excellent picture and sound quality. The tracks for both shows are as follows:

4 August 1979

Disc 1

(1.) Introduction

(2.) The Song Remains The Same

(3.) Celebration Day

(4.) Black Dog

(5.) Nobody's Fault But Mine

(6.) Over The Hills And Far Away

(7.) Misty Mountain Hop

(8.) Since I've Been Loving You

(9.) No Quarter

(10.) Ten Years Gone

(11.) Hot Dog

(12.) The Rain Song

(13.) White Summer - Black Mountain Side

(14.) Kashmir

Disc 2

(1.) Trampled Underfoot

(2.) Sick Again

(3.) Achilles Last Stand

(4.) Guitar Solo

(5.) In the Evening

(6.) Stairway To Heaven

(7.) Rock And Roll

(8.) Whole Lotta Love

(9.) Heartbreaker

11 August 1979

Disc 1

(1.) The Song Remains The Same

(2.) Celebration Day

(3.) Black Dog

(4.) Nobody's Fault But Mine

(5.) Over The Hills And Far Away

(6.) Misty Mountain Hop

(7.) Since I've Been Loving You

(8.) No Quarter

Disc 2

(1.) Hot Dog

(2.) The Rain Song

(3.) White Summer / Black Mountain Side

(4.) Kashmir

(5.) Trampled Underfoot

(6.) Sick Again

(7.) Achilles Last Stand

Disc 3

(1.) Guitar Solo

(2.) In The Evening

(3.) Stairway To Heaven

(4.) Rock And Roll

(5.) Whole Lotta Love

(6.) Communication Breakdown

The songlist for both shows are exactly the same except the very last song. I will be playing both complete shows at two different bars starting on 4 August 2009 (Tuesday) and the following week on 11 August 2009 (Tuesday). It looks like it is going to be another packed house this year. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

Ahhhh at the bottom of your post where you said the songlists were the same except for the last song, you forgot to mention that Ten Years Gone was only performed on the 4th :D

Ahhhh at the bottom of your post where you said the songlists were the same except for the last song, you forgot to mention that Ten Years Gone was only performed on the 4th :D

How's it going "LedZeppe75?" I hope all is well with you. Well I'll be f*c*in' damn! Ha Ha! I didn't even notice that. Thanks for bringing that out, I deeply appreciate it. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

How's it going my fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope the weekend went well. I survived numerous hangover's this weekend while getting ready to celebrate LED ZEPPELIN'S first night at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL on 4 AUGUST 1979. I'm getting set to take my one hour lunch today and am very excited that I will have tomorrow off. Tonight, I will be at the Bicycle Club bar with my 4 August 1979 KNEBWORTH DVD set and will have my friend who is the manager of Bicycle Club show it on three huge screens in powerfull Dolby Surround Pro Logic sound. I know that I will be having a great time tonight and I will be thinking of all of you. If any of you were at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL or would like to share any thoughts of the first show on 4 August 1979, please feel free to enlighten me. I am looking forward to hearing from all of you, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN! ROCK ON!

ZeppFanForever A.K.A. John

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you. I would like to wish the mighty LED ZEPPELIN a VERY HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL on 11 August 1979. I'm sure that mostly everyone already knows what I'm going to be doing tonight. I'm going to do the same thing tonight that I did a week ago today but at a different bar. I'll also be sure to toast a few drinks to all of the attendees of the second show at the KNEBWORTH Festival. In the mean time, celebrate life to the fullest by partying hardy tonight and every night and ROCK ON my friends!

Pilot drops in to celebrate the 30th Aniv of Knebworth, 11th Aug '79. Great memories.

Doing the Dinosaur Rock Part II

How's it going "Pilot of the Storm?" Thanks for dropping in my friend, I'll be sure to drink a toast of many drinks to you as well as the many other attendees of KNEBWORTH 11 August 1979. In the mean time, take care, party hardy and ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "LedZeppe75?" I hope all is well with you. Well I'll be f*c*in' damn! Ha Ha! I didn't even notice that. Thanks for bringing that out, I deeply appreciate it. Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON!

Hahaha no problem ;)

My wife (then girlfriend) and I went to the 11th Aug show because i wanted to see the New Barbarians (Not Fairport Convention who were on the bill for the 4th Aug). The Nbs were not as good as the hype had made them out to be..........Also they came on annoyingly late. As fo Zeppelin what struck me most was how much RPs voice had changed, still great but his range was noticeably different, apart from that they were fantastic........ ((((( Just but the DVD boot on now))))))........After the show had finished we made our way back to the campsite following the throng that was taking a short cut which involved crossing a piss ditch which i shone my torch down into and told my girl where we were and she still managed to put her foot in it.....To this day she still blames me...for being lazy and taking the short cut.........a little further on there were a group of guys stood around a Radio Cassette Recorder listening to LZs performance that had they just recorded minutes earlier........I've sometimes wondered if that Audience recording got on to a Bootleg.............

Archived