Bad recordings

JimmyPageZoSo56

To be honest, I hate it when people say a Zeppelin show sucks just because the recording sucks.

A couple shows that have bad recordings but the band played amazing.

Here's a couple:

St. Paul 7/9/73

Boston 7/20/73

Boston it sounds muddy but not bad. S. Paul sounds bad because the guy must have sat somewhere in the "nose bleed" sections in the Civic Center.

Anyone who wants to discuss this, go ahead.

Oh, absolutely. Funny how nobody said shit about Vancouver '75 when all we had was that lousy aud. recording, what was that one called...Blues Qualudes, I think. Then the soundboard pops up and suddenly it's the greatest show ever! I always liked Rhode Island, '73, great SIBLY on that, just a so-so recording. A lot of '70 shows are in that "so-so" category

Don't forget another gem of a show being June 19, 1972 in Seattle. I know Dancing Days was performed twice at this show. Was Over The Hills...performed twice as well?

And a full version of Black Country Woman, and The Ocean

Zach the mack,

You forgot perhaps the most famous bad recording where the band plays great:

Led Zeppelin

Shepton Mallet, England U.K.

Bath Festival

Ah no, Bath is nowhere near as bad as ever everyone makes it out to be.

Hampton 1970 & the second night of MSG 1977 are the worst I've ever come across. terrible quality!

And a full version of Black Country Woman, and The Ocean

I don't think the quality is THAT bad(often called the worst ever) either, not something I'd casually listen to very often but you can make out most of the instruments resonible clearly.

The problem with alot of shows from 73-77 IMHO is that we've got alot of good/great SB's and Millard recordings from that era so its always tempting to pass over the normal aud recordings.

Ah no, Bath is nowhere near as bad as ever everyone makes it out to be.

Hampton 1970 & the second night of MSG 1977 are the worst I've ever come across. terrible quality!

I think Bath is horrible, worse than either you mentioned. But, to each their own. Also, for 1977.06.08, there are two separate audience sources circulating. One is better than the other.

Other ones that aren't very good:

1970.03.25 Denver

1969.03.16 Copenhagen

1973.01.27 Dundee

1972.06.13 Philadelphia

I think Bath is horrible, worse than either you mentioned. But, to each their own. Also, for 1977.06.08, there are two separate audience sources circulating. One is better than the other.

Other ones that aren't very good:

1970.03.25 Denver

1969.03.16 Copenhagen

1973.01.27 Dundee

1972.06.13 Philadelphia

I live in Denver....I have the show listed above and its a tough listen. Does anyone know of a Denver show that is halfway decent sounding?

Parts of Bath are terrible, but parts of it are great.

Not very many from 77 are that bad, but the Chicago shows, most of the New York shows, and a couple of the Maryland shows aren't that good.

OKC show is bad all around also. Detroit is a bad recording, and probably my least favorite 77 show.

I live in Denver....I have the show listed above and its a tough listen. Does anyone know of a Denver show that is halfway decent sounding?

Theres a soundboard fragment from 5-25-73 Denver show that is clear, but a bit sterile.

Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love Medley, Communication

Breakdown are included.

Probably the worst I've ever heard. I wish there were a show from that era that had listenable quality.

The most recent release of Sept. 04, 1970 is very much listenable. Someone was kind enough to pull a new transfer from a 2nd gen. reel to reel tape that is miles above 'Blueberry Hill' which used to be the standard for that show. Not anymore. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, absolutely. Funny how nobody said shit about Vancouver '75 when all we had was that lousy aud. recording, what was that one called...Blues Qualudes, I think. Then the soundboard pops up and suddenly it's the greatest show ever! I always liked Rhode Island, '73, great SIBLY on that, just a so-so recording. A lot of '70 shows are in that "so-so" category

I had this on vinyl (lost years ago alas) from memory called World Tour 75, sound quality was very poor, but the playing was good, not sure I would describe it as great.

Archived