What's the pic on the inner sleeve of LZ's fourth album?

Jimmy's A Legend

Chris Dreja of the Yardbirds shot the picture on the back cover. The houses and surrounding area in the picture are near the Eve Hill area of Dudley; The tower block in the background is Butterfield Court in Dudley, England (not the now demolished Prince of Wales Court, as is sometimes incorrectly stated) and is actually a ways away from the houses/apartments.

The picture on the inner gatefold is the tarot card representing the Hermit, as painted by Barrington Coleby.

Oh wait, are you wondering about the one on the brown paper sleeve?

Let me see what I can dig up..

I've been scouring sources for a couple hours now... seems I can dig up dirt on every single aspect of this album's artwork save for the particular piece in question.

So frustrated I've damn-near smoked a half pack of cigarettes over it :angry:

I'll leave this one to SteveAJones B)

qznio0.jpg

(sry it's a bit blurry) I've always wondered, can anyone tell me any information about this pic?

Jimmy's A Legend', when the album was released I thought - and still think - that was a picture of an old etching of a man reading an alchemy book. Sorry that I don't know anything more about it as far as where it came from (Jimmy?) and what it means.

Chris Dreja of the Yardbirds shot the picture on the back cover. The houses and surrounding area in the picture are near the Eve Hill area of Dudley; The tower block in the background is Butterfield Court in Dudley, England (not the now demolished Prince of Wales Court, as is sometimes incorrectly stated) and is actually a ways away from the houses/apartments.

The picture on the inner gatefold is the tarot card representing the Hermit, as painted by Barrington Coleby.

Oh wait, are you wondering about the one on the brown paper sleeve?

Let me see what I can dig up..

There's a little rumour going around that Barrington Coleby is a pseudoym for James Page.

And, MSG, I think you may be right.

When the album was released I thought - and still think - that was a picture of an old etching of a man reading an alchemy book. Sorry that I don't know anything more about it as far as where it came from (Jimmy?) and what it means.

Yes. The image on the inner sleeve compliments The Hermit (a "symbol of self-reliance and wisdom", according to Jimmy) on the inner gatefold. I don't have my copies at arms reach so I'll simply ask - isn't there actually a distinctive alchemical symbol on that book?

There's a little rumour going around that Barrington Coleby is a pseudoym for James Page.

Rumor has been successfully refuted in the mysteries thread. He's alive and well and living in Switzerland. His name was inexplicably mispelled "Colby" on the album which

leads to confusion and difficulty finding other examples of his work, such as this one:

Snow Queen

SnowQueen.jpg

Rumor has been successfully refuted in the mysteries thread. He's alive and well and living in Switzerland. His name was inexplicably mispelled "Colby" on the album which

leads to confusion and difficulty finding other examples of his work, such as this one:

Oh sheesh, you guys got me going now....

I was telling Steve about my purple teddy bear I was given from a store

on Barrington Street last month.

So Barrington's living in Switzerland? Well, it's a good time to pull out my bell...

(this was waiting for me when I moved into an apartment in Montreal years and years ago)

It's Swiss from 1878. a century before I was sent to Israel and climbed Mount Sinai

n577387680_780344_5705.jpg

Jimmy's A Legend', when the album was released I thought - and still think - that was a picture of an old etching of a man reading an alchemy book. Sorry that I don't know anything more about it as far as where it came from (Jimmy?) and what it means.

No, I know which picture you are thinking of. It's really famous.

I'll try to dig it up on a book cover on Amazon.

A lot of books on Kabbalah use it for the cover.

On the other hand, lol, I just might be thinking of a different print

sorry if that's the case.

And, MSG, I think you may be right.

Yes. The image on the inner sleeve compliments The Hermit (a "symbol of self-reliance and wisdom", according to Jimmy) on the inner gatefold. I don't have my copies at arms reach so I'll simply ask - isn't there actually a distinctive alchemical symbol on that book?

Here is a scan of that side of the sleeve - there are several symbols in the picture but I don't know (and never did know) what they meant. I do remember that when it was released my friends and I were young girls and we were fascinated by the entire album - we spent hours studying the cover, sleeve, and content (music) - as well as trying to decipher what we thought were messages from "the Dark Lord". :rolleyes: That was a lifetime ago and we long ago stopped believing in such things.

LZIVsleevebookscan.jpg

Here is a scan of that side of the sleeve - there are several symbols in the picture but I don't know (and never did know) what they meant. I do remember that when it was released my friends and I were young girls and we were fascinated by the entire album - we spent hours studying the cover, sleeve, and content (music) - as well as trying to decipher what we thought were messages from "the Dark Lord". :rolleyes: That was a lifetime ago and we long ago stopped believing in such things.

LZIVsleevebookscan.jpg

Nice scan MAD! Thanks! Yes, there are clearly a few symbols but it's hard to make out the one on the book cover. It appears to be a couple of intertwined circles with a triangle and perhaps some others we can't see. I bet if Ev were around he would be able to clarify! He's an expert (in my book) on these matters.

:rolleyes:

So, one of those. Have received the PM. I apologize, because I did not intend that post to be taken too seriously, and yet I must admit that in light of our previous arguments it's understandable that you took it that way. Of course, there is a disagreement with you underlying the post, but I was trying (unsuccessfully) to refer to it in a light-hearted way. I accept responsibility. Sorry. B)

So, one of those. Have received the PM. I apologize, because I did not intend that post to be taken too seriously, and yet I must admit that in light of our previous arguments it's understandable that you took it that way. Of course, there is a disagreement with you underlying the post, but I was trying (unsuccessfully) to refer to it in a light-hearted way. I accept responsibility. Sorry. B)

[oh_snap_!]

Glad you received the PM in the same way that I received a PM from you when I tried to make a light-hearted comment previously.

Apology accepted, its obvious the light-hearted days are gone, probably better if neither of us try it again.

• 3 weeks later...

LZIVsleevebookscan.jpg

Could that be a number on the cover - 93? What a strange hat he's wearing, and his beard is forked. Apropos of nothing, some paintings and historical descriptions of Jesus depict him with a forked beard "in the style of the Nazarene."

Could that be a number on the cover - 93? What a strange hat he's wearing, and his beard is forked. Apropos of nothing, some paintings and historical descriptions of Jesus depict him with a forked beard "in the style of the Nazarene."

Looks like 49 to me--the other way up, maybe?

Archived