EXETER!

Nech

http://www.mansons.co.uk/news/news-item/19.html

Rock Legends And Guitar Greats To Attend Mansons Guitar Show

OCTOBER 25th & 26th 2008

Packed full of exhibitors, a room full of electrifying guitar performances, and now a star studded line-up of guests headed by none other than Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones – Manson’s Guitar Show is sure to be the major guitar event of 2008.

Held over two days at the Riverside Leisure Centre in Exeter the guest artist line-up (with more names being confirmed daily) includes world class demonstrators on behalf of major manufacturers such as Marshall, Ampeg, Alvarez, Peerless, Goodfellow, Music Man, Paul Reed Smith and Manson Guitars.

Saturday’s performances will be headlined by Martin Barre, guitarist with Jethro Tull since 1969. Martin has held down the guitar spot on virtually every album recorded by the band and is also a successful performer in his own right.

Guests appearing during the weekend also include Justin Hawkins, the flamboyant frontman of The Darkness and now leader of his new band Hot Leg. The namesake of Marshall Amplification, Jim Marshall OBE will also be signing for fans throughout the weekend. And Aziz Ibrahim who took over from John Squire as guitar player for The Stone Roses and has worked with Simply Red, Asia and Ian Brown will be performing at the show.

Sunday will feature none other than Led Zeppelin’s legendary multi-instrumentalist - John Paul Jones. John Paul was already a session legend in the UK before forming Led Zeppelin with Jimmy Page, John Bonham and Robert Plant, having worked with Jeff Beck, Donovan and performed or arranged for hundreds of artists. John will be answering questions during a special Q & A session on the Sunday of the show.

For the entire weekend artists will be appearing for signing sessions whilst the clinic room will have performances running throughout the day. Session great Big Jim Sullivan has played on over 1,000 hits. Yes, you read that right – 1,000 hits including Tom Jones, Scott Walker, Marty Wilde, Alvin Stardust, Carly Simon and other legendary 60s and 70s acts. His Sunday workshop will be a major attraction.

More names to be added soon.

OK...how many questions do you think will actually be about JPJ & Manson guitars?!

We'll see what he says. Like to see that, but unfortunately living here in the NYC metro area makes it difficult.

Now will he answer those certain questions honestly or dodge them a bit and then try to change the subject?

Jonesy for me is actually quite good at THE question. He either denies it completely or teases a little bit

This is true. I got the latter. I remember running into him in at the Radisson hotel Austin, TX back in '91. I asked for his autograph which he gave me and he was very gracious but said that he was a in hurry because a limo was waiting out front. He did grant me a few minutes though. I asked THE question in a more roundabout way. More like "do you still keep in touch with the other guys and do you think you'll play with them again?" He said "Yeah, they're in the car outside now but we're only playing cards today". I'm sure most of you know his demeanor. Very dry humor and we both laughed. He shook my hand and said " Really nice meeting you I have to get going". and he was off.

If anyone does go to this thing, someone please ask what they used for the Boogie With Stu drum sounds. I was too frozen to think of any intelligent questions when I met him. LOL

Somebody is going to ask the big question.

Can't wait to hear the answer.

Is anyone going????

For some reason, no one seems to understand that there's no point to asking the question!

The question being "When is Led Zeppelin gonna play again?"

It's almost a wasted question at this point. If I were them, I'd just be waiting every question for that question and it's be such a pain.

THEY WILL TELL US the second they are 100% positive they all can/want to do it.

Anything less than 100% affirmation then I don't want to know.

Be funny about it and ask JPJ how many times he has to answer "the question" daily/weekly.

Oh yeah and you should never ask a question that puts the person being interviewed into an awkward position, like potentially throwing another bandmate under the bus.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you say about someone, because it gets taken out of context.

So in review, DO NOT POP THE QUESTION.

ever.

A total waste of time because they control their destiny and not us.

For some reason, no one seems to understand that there's no point to asking the question!

It's almost a wasted question at this point. If I were them, I'd just be waiting every question for that question and it's be such a pain.

Be funny about it and ask JPJ how many times he has to answer "the question" daily/weekly.

Oh yeah and you should never ask a question that puts the person being interviewed into an awkward position, like potentially throwing another bandmate under the bus.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you say about someone, because it gets taken out of context.

ever.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I do see your point, but just don't agree with it.

One of the four makes a statement that he does not want to do it and you think it's not fair to ask any of the other three about it? Why? Once THEY have made a statement I would absolutely whole-heartedly agree with you. Right now Robert has spoken for all four of them and not just himself.("All of the performers are keen to get on to their own individual projects").

Has JPJ ever made a statement about it? Has HE already answered the question? I don't believe so. If he has, then it would be redundant, like the reason for plant yawning. He was asked so many times it got to him. That simply is not the case with JPJ.

You may be interested only if it is an "official" statement that is released in the papers/website/wherever, but many of us are hoping for something even neutral and not negative. If I heard it straight from the horses mouth, whether announced officially or not, is fine with me.

Maybe the question would be better if asked: Robert has made an official statement that he will not be doing zep for at least two years and we haven't heard anything yet from the rest of the band on their plans. Will the rest of the band be making an official announcement on their immediate future like rp did?

I think that, if done tastefully, it would not be an issue. If you screamed from the crowd dude, when is zeppelin gettin' back together? you would be completely right and the person should be removed from the interview. I love your question of how many times do you get asked the same question. That would be a good icebreaker to the big one.

I know it's a touchy subject,but jpj is an adult. He can deal. If he doesn't want to reply he can always use the No Comment line....and probably will.

Another thought. If the person is a paid reporter their boss would probably fire them if they didn't ask in one way or another. I can see it now. You had the chance of the biggest scoop in the music world and you didn't even ask?!?

I have a feeling someone will ask. i believe this is the first Q&A session with jpj since the reunion. Anyone know of any others?

I say ask him what the f*ck is going on with the new project, when , where and with whom :D

That's being as direct as possible, just laying it on the line. Whether you'll get the answer you want is another thing. I guess it never hurts to try.

I think Jonesy will probably throw out some hints at what they're doing but not divulging all details of it. Don't think he will completely deny it. JMHO.

If anyone does go to this thing, someone please ask what they used for the Boogie With Stu drum sounds. I was too frozen to think of any intelligent questions when I met him. LOL

They used a synthesizer for the basic sound. I am not sure which one, I think it was an ARP. They sent it through an echo unit which was responsible for the boogie pattern.

ever.

Actually, it's funny, I once did just that....It was actually somebody asking "the question" that I used as a way to introduce myself to JPJ. A very funny, down to earth guy along with his wife. Someone asked and I immediately said " Oh man, just how many times do you actually get asked that question?!" to break the ice and start up a conversation. Of course this was over 5 years ago and don't think it was as 'touchy' a question as it is now. Strange thing is, if anything official or not gets annopunced, he's still gonna get pestered with questions about the future I have a feeling.

Only time will tell at this point.

Well I'm going to this bash because I just live down the road. I won't be asking The Question because, as everyone says, it is The Question, so exactly what question should I ask him ?

Any thoughts ? Something cool and arcane, possibly related to a JPJ/Zeppelin mystery, or just a great Zeppelin fun/trivia type of question ? Post up your thoughts as to what I could ask, I'll find one that I like and I'll try and ask it.

(Marks will be deducted from those that suggest questions on fish, backward messages or demonic pacts.)

Seriously, give me a good question and I'll try to get the great man's attention. Who knows what we could find out.....

:)

PS. Anyone else going ?

If you don't want to ask "the question" then have him answer it indirectly. Say "before the O2, you were working on a long-expected 3rd solo album. Are you working on it again, and if so, will you tour for it?"

If he really intends on keeping his schedule open for Zep, then he will be forced to explain why he's shelved his solo album in a way that would probably be a tipoff.

That would be cool if he just came right out and said...no current zeppellin questions.

Here's one:

Are you looking forward to your next album and tour? This will give him the opportunity to indulge or not.

It's so mean, but here it goes: Do you foresee yourself getting so old, like robert plant, that you won't want to rock and roll anymore? (No, I'll never get over it). I can't imagine the look on his face if someone had the balls to ask that one.

Love the one about the solo project before the 02. that works well also. gives him room.

I do agree. Someone will ask. it is their job and you never know. It may not be an official statement, but it could be a hint/clue which will just make us all that much more intrigued.

I don't recall exactly how it was announced, but didn't robert announce the 02 show to a fan instead of to the press? Anyone know?

The last update on his solo album was at the end of 2006.

"Ok, so the album is coming slowly, but it’s coming!"

For both JPJ and Jimmy, if the 3Js thing isn't going to happen, the best thing they could do would be to retreat back to the studio and finish their respective solo albums so they can capitalize on the residual O2 afterglow. Robert was kind of berating them in his statement to do so. So I just don't see their future being left to speculation much longer.

As soon as either JPJ or Jimmy talk about returning to their solo albums, what's left of the dream is over.

Archived