What band haunts you?

danelectro

Evidently this thread was a way to exorcise the Eagles from what seemed like a never ending playlist. The bad thing is they were replaced by that awful Boz Scaggs song Lido Shuffle. No exaggeration I've heard it 5 times a day since late last week, it just won't stop.

This is currently my favorite topic. How about The Temptations? I'm obsessed with that VH1 movie on the group. David Ruffin was just a great lead singer. He went on a power trip and wanted the group named David Ruffin and the Temptations a la Diana Ross and the Supremes. They refused, he got booted and the band eventually imploded big time.

I just saw them live last week.

I don't really listen to the radio much anymore, but it seems like everytime I tune into a Music Awards show, Kid Rock is there. Let's see the CMA's, MTV, the Hip Hop Awards and I thought I saw him on the Christian Music Awards show too :)

I know what you mean. You just can't get away from the guy. He was in a movie that I watched not too long ago. I generally skip award shows unless it has something to do with members of Led Zeppelin, so I've managed to avoid Kid Rock somewhat.

How many are left? Aren't Kendricks and Ruffin dead?

The only one living from the classic lineup is Otis Williams. Even some of the early guys who left the group before they made it, died. It's unbelievable. There is a decent write up on wikipedia. Ruffin had just an amazing voice. I suspect he got laid a lot.

George Thorogood (spelling?) "Bad to the Bone" I never liked this song anyway and they play it over and over again on the local classic rock station. They are also obsessed with Bob Seger. I like Seger but not every time I turn the radio on.

Delaware native that used to be called George Thorogood and The Delaware Destroyers until of course he made it big and dropped Delaware from the name and said he was from Philly. LOL

• 2 years later...

The band that haunts me??? I don't know their name!!!! I remember hearing a song in the 76/77/78 timeframe that I loved. I would hear the song on the radio, but never bought it. I'm almost sure they were a second or third tier punk band. Who knows maybe New Wave. As time passed, the band and my memory just disappeared. I'm almost sure the word rubberband was in the title of the song or a lyric. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to uncover the actual song or band. Everytime I see some odd compilation of songs from that period I scan it to see if maybe the song will be there or jar a memory. It's been driving me mad for 30 fucking years. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!

I "thought" I may have found the song. There is a song by Teenage Jesus and the Jerks called "Burning Rubber". Alas, it's not the same song. Anyway the various related wikipedia pages are a somewhat interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Jesus_and_the_Jerks

Well, if I was foolish enough to be listening to the radio where all the mainstream nonsense is being played or foolish enough to watch music channels like VH1 and MTV, then I would have to say that bands like "Kings of Leon", "Green Day", "Maroon 5" and "One Republic" are haunting me!

But being the sensible person that I am, I only listen to bands which I want to listen to and which sound pleasing to my ears on my own fuckin' terms (thank you very much), and certainly not to those which are literally being fed to the masses day after day by some corporate organisation!

So, no! There is no band which haunts me! :D

Besides, in any case, I do not believe in Ghouls, Ghosties, Pixies or Goblins or whatever other paranormal nonsense is out there! Hey, we are talking about being "haunted", aren't we? :P

• 4 months later...

Some bands for me would be: Nickelback, KISS, Maroon 5, ZZ Top, and The Doors.

I am not saying I don't like any of those bands (some I do, some I don't) but I hear them all the time. Which is why I have been moving away from the radio more and more lately.

Archived