Should Jimmy be Knighted?

MisterMcLov1n

Personally I think the Idea of knighting musicians is illogical... why should a musician be knighted just because he contributed to the world of music?? it's not like he is a brave soldier that got back from the battlefront... Jimmy is already titled (in most people's opinions) as the greatest guitarist of all times so with all due respect I think he really doesn't need the title "sir" ...

Personally I think the Idea of knighting musicians is illogical... why should a musician be knighted just because he contributed to the world of music?? it's not like he is a brave soldier that got back from the battlefront... Jimmy is already titled (in most people's opinions) as the greatest guitarist of all times so with all due respect I think he really doesn't need the title "sir" ...

I hear what you're saying but many musicians have made other contributions - involvement in charities and supporting various causes - think about Bob Geldof as an example.

I hear what you're saying but many musicians have made other contributions - involvement in charities and supporting various causes - think about Bob Geldof as an example.

Cases like Bob get my support, but there are some musicians that were knighted even though they really didn't deserved it...

I think there may be something to be said for exporting and contributing to British culture attatched to any thought of Knighthood. Zeppelin surely have as have so many other's. Knighthood may not be the correct choice but certainly and MBE or the OBE that Jimmy already has is warranted. The only question I have is, why hasn't the rest of the band recieved one ?

I think there may be something to be said for exporting and contributing to British culture attatched to any thought of Knighthood. Zeppelin surely have as have so many other's. Knighthood may not be the correct choice but certainly and MBE or the OBE that Jimmy already has is warranted. The only question I have is, why hasn't the rest of the band recieved one ?

Jimmy recieved it because of his Brazilian charity, ABC Trust, not because of his contribution to music.

The same goes for some other musicians, like Elton John and Brian May.

Jimmy recieved it because of his Brazilian charity, ABC Trust, not because of his contribution to music.

The same goes for some other musicians, like Elton John and Brian May.

Yes I know but, I think he and other's certainly deserve the honor regardless and some are overdue

Well, historically speaking, men have been knighted for all sorts of reasons (e.g., amassing a particular amount of land and wealth), not just for deeds in battle, so it's not odd at all.

Well, historically speaking, men have been knighted for all sorts of reasons (e.g., amassing a particular amount of land and wealth), not just for deeds in battle, so it's not odd at all.

I know that duh :P ...but I'm talkin' specificly about musicians being knighted with no reasonable reason to it (except for some musicians that were knighted for other reason than contribution to music like charity..). I respect everyone's opinions, this is not a fight about who is right or who is wrong I'm just expressing my honest opinion so I think you should respect it too...

Would this be in reference to Sir Richard Branson?

there is no way bob geldof should have been knighted - that was a mistake!

i mean the guy only gave up maybe a year or so of his time to do live aid stuff.

some people devote their whole lives to good causes and get nothing.

he was rich then like he is now and could afford to take a year out organising a concert!

maybe he should have got the nobel prize but sir bob? give me a break!!

i mean the guy only gave up maybe a year or so of his time to do live aid stuff.

he was rich then like he is now and could afford to take a year out organising a concert!

Don't be so silly he raised awareness of that situation on a masive scale and STILL DOES more work for charity than you will ever know about, he deseerved all the accolades he got and when you do MORE maybe you can complain.

Don't be so silly he raised awareness of that situation on a masive scale and STILL DOES more work for charity than you will ever know about, he deseerved all the accolades he got and when you do MORE maybe you can complain.

funny that I seem to remember Midge Ure also being extensivley involved and as far as I know he's still Mr Ure

Strongly disagree. It took more than a year to put together Live Aid, not to mention his extensive visits to Africa prior to organising the concert. I don't know how rich he is but that is irrelevant to the fact he DONATED his time etc. for the greater good.

Strongly disagree. It took more than a year to put together Live Aid, not to mention his extensive visits to Africa prior to organising the concert. I don't know how rich he is but that is irrelevant to the fact he DONATED his time etc. for the greater good.

they called my younger brother bob geldof when he was at school!

because he *didnt like mondays* and always stayed off sick!

i strongly disagree with your reasoning but let's leave it at that :)

I don't give too much credence to knighthoods cos you can get them for donating money to a political party.

Geldof got his for more than just putting on a show, things changed after live aid in the political world and in the opening up to the rest of us the shit that was happening in Africa.

Queen did pretty well out of one show too.

Bob Geldof was also hardly mega-rich at the time, being the singer with the Boomtown Rats who weren't exactly on the same scale as the Who, Beatles, Stones, etc. Or Zeppelin. But he raised a phenomenal amount of money for OTHER PEOPLE.

And he's only an honorary knight anyway, being an Irish citizen.

Queen did pretty well out of one show too.

didn't they just - what a brilliant performance.

i hear freddie mercury didn't really want to do the show because they were used to being top of the bill.

bet he was pleased he changed his mind - they were reborn after that performance!!

undoubtedly the best set of the whole live aid event.

:)

I know that duh :P ...but I'm talkin' specificly about musicians being knighted with no reasonable reason to it (except for some musicians that were knighted for other reason than contribution to music like charity..). I respect everyone's opinions, this is not a fight about who is right or who is wrong I'm just expressing my honest opinion so I think you should respect it too...

Oh, I don't have an opinion, I just meant that as long a there have been knighthoods (many, many centuries), there have been less than noble reasons for giving them. I'm interested in and work on English history, that's why I made the comment. I certainly wasn't trying to fight at all (can't imagine what gave the impression that I was!)

Archived