glam rock

caroselambra~

for those of us old enough to remember

my all time favourite *glam rock* band was - the sweet

real heroes to me

i collected everything they ever recorded and was heartbroken when brian connolly died

i read somewhere that he held the record for most heart attacks suffered

i think it was 56 or something

anway, hats off to the sweet and hellraiser

anyone else got a favourite glam rock track from the seventies?

for those of us old enough to remember

my all time favourite *glam rock* band was - the sweet

real heroes to me

i collected everything they ever recorded and was heartbroken when brian connolly died

i read somewhere that he held the record for most heart attacks suffered

i think it was 56 or something

anway, hats off to the sweet and hellraiser

anyone else got a favourite glam rock track from the seventies?

Little Willie was one of the first 45's I ever got!

I was always a huge fan of Slade as well.

yep - love *my friend stan*

did glam rock exist in the states way back then?

I got Slade's Definitive Anthology and it's GREAT! Now I don't have to look all over the world for Slade stuff. Very hard to get in the U.S.

From what I know/remember (I was very young in the '70's) T-Rex, Bowie, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls and actually Elton John were considered to be Glam in the States back then and were huge. Slade never quite made it big here which I don't understand.

MY FRIEND STAN'S GOT A FUNNY OLD MAN, OH YEAH !!

typical Slade fun-lyric, loaded with double entendre :thumbsup:

speaking of which, the next gig I will be going to is the annual SLADE + MUD (yes, lets not forget them either, they are playing just as well today) Xmas bash at The Robin 2, Bilston on Wednesday 10th, in a week or so.

Obviously I have to flag up Slade as being the greatest of their era, not just because of the hometown connection, but because they simply outsold EVERY mainstream singles band during the 4-year period between 1971-74.

I was also a huge fan of Marc Bolan and T.Rex (the very first album I ever bought was Electric Warrior - before that I just couldn't afford the records and had to 'borrow' stuff *ahem*).

And I always had a bit of a soft spot for The Sweet as well.

Yes, what a magical time it was, indulging your early teen years in good old Glamrock - good time rock at it's brilliant best :notworthy:

Not a huge fan, but of course, I loved Sweet when I was younger. I still like some of the song, like Sweet F.A. and Hellraiser.

How about Suzy Quatro? Her The Wild One, 48 Crash, Can The Can, Glycerine Queen and Your Mama Won't Like Me was rockin' tunes!

I guess Runaways is an American glam band. Some of the stuff they recorded was f'n great too!

yes i remember way back when *billion dollar babies* was selling by the truckload

i think it was 73 but not sure

You are correct! It was '73. I was 6 and you should've seen the look on my Grandmother's face when I pointed out an Alice Cooper poster I wanted! LOL

some other favourites would be

wizard - see my baby jive

david bowie - life on mars

we obviously have to ignore anything by gary glitter

mud - tigerfeet

the rubettes - sugar baby love (were they glam?)

the arrows - does anyone remember the series they had in the uk in the mid seventies?

I'm a huge fan of New York Dolls (and Johnny Thunders), but I don't really consider them as a glam band.. Proto-punk or a basic rock'n'roll band maybe, but glam, no..

I'm with ya. I think the Dolls were considered Glam more because of their look than the music.

I always thought that Queen were considered the kings of glam rock (ooh, bad pun :blush: ). My 13 yo daughter is going through a huge Queen/David Bowie phase and she's got me into them again in a major way. Most of our Christmas presents to each other this year will be Queen & Bowie stuff.

I do remember Sweet, Slade & NY Dolls too, saw the last 2 in concert though hardly remember the shows at all. And my college roommates always thanked me for turning them on to TRex, they're the greatest.

I'm a huge fan of New York Dolls (and Johnny Thunders), but I don't really consider them as a glam band.. Proto-punk or a basic rock'n'roll band maybe, but glam, no..

During their heyday, when they were playing live at NY clubs, I was a huge fan of Johnny Thunders, the NY Dolls and, later, the Heartbreakers. I never considered them as glam bands either. From what I understood, I don't think that Johnny wanted to be characterized as either glam or punk - just as (innovative and cutting edge) rock. Proto-punk is a good description. Like Johnny, so many interesting musicians from that era and scene were lost too young to drugs. By that stage in my life I thought I had seen a lot as far as musicians and drug use but the casualness of heroin use in the clubs back then shocked me.

To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of glam rock. When we were young, my friends and I used to dance to Mott the Hoople ("Born Late '58" and "All the way from Memphis").

I always thought that Queen were considered the kings of glam rock (ooh, bad pun :blush: ). My 13 yo daughter is going through a huge Queen/David Bowie phase and she's got me into them again in a major way. Most of our Christmas presents to each other this year will be Queen & Bowie stuff.

I do remember Sweet, Slade & NY Dolls too, saw the last 2 in concert though hardly remember the shows at all. And my college roommates always thanked me for turning them on to TRex, they're the greatest.

My husband and his sister love T Rex! When I first met my husband and I was visiting his apartment, his sister arrived. She spotted a T Rex album displayed on his shelf and insisted it was hers. I sat in awe as the two of them fought over who actually owned that T Rex album. :lol:

Archived