Why does HOTH sound Light?

McSeven

Why does HOTH sound light? while every other Zeppelin studio recording sound heavy. Even LZ3's rock songs sound hard and heavy.

What I am getting at is that it sounds light and fluffy, like cotton candy. Even NQ sound light as opposed to the live version.

Could it be that the subject matter of all the songs on HOTH are upbeat. I guess I prefer my Zep hard and blusey.

Mc7

Why does HOTH sound light? while every other Zeppelin studio recording sound heavy. Even LZ3's rock songs sound hard and heavy.

What I am getting at is that it sounds light and fluffy, like cotton candy. Even NQ sound light as opposed to the live version.

Could it be that the subject matter of all the songs on HOTH are upbeat. I guess I prefer my Zep hard and blusey.

Mc7

I never thought of it as sounding "light". It's got a different feel to it but that's the beauty of Zep - each album isn't a repeat of the one prior. Be sort of boring if everything sounded the same. I think No Quarter even studio is pretty dark. I'd also say the Crunge is fairly heavy sounding. Even the Ocean in parts has some heaviness. Just my thoughts.

Mc7

Well, it doesn't. It sounds bright - not the same thing at all. Jimmy as producer laid much emphasis on attaining a certain sound atmosphere on each album. If you compare Led Zeppelin II with Houses, you will note how dark and bass-y it sounds, whereas Houses sounds a bit trebly, and has more sparkle. This was done by means of a whole variety of different methods. On Houses Jimmy sometimes even used changed playback speed of the tapes - you will note how Robert's voice sounds a bit child-like on 'The Song Remains The Same'. The vocal track was actually sped up a little.

Mc7

Yes, and HOTH is the album that the "Critics" love the most......

A Red Warning Flag if ever I saw one !

I Hate the light "mix" of HOTH ! .... Always have....

I much prefer the songs of HOTH as performed and recorded ---live---, more so on this album, than --any-- other Zep album released!

I was a bit young in the 1970's, and didn't hear that album until 1978 if I remember correctly, but always liked it. More Lite Fluffelin for me then, I guess. :lol:

Not so sure about the critics though, as far as I know Houses wasn't particularly well received critically, and to this day the fourth album remains the darling of the critics, followed by either Graffiti or Led Zep II.

Speaking for myself, I never liked the band for any cliché that you could extract from their output - heavy or otherwise. They aimed to make the albums very different from each other, something many of us like, I think. Obviously the 'light mix' is something Jimmy went for very consciously, at the height of the band's career, in 1973.

Didn't Jimmy use some different guitars on Houses? Did he use a strat on The Crunge and Dancing Days?

What comes across to me on HOTH is the general mood of the band was happy and carefree. They spend pretty much the whole album playing with different genres and moods and settings. There is also no pure blues songs on Houses.

It's probably their most radio-friendly album because of that upbeat 'nonthreatening' quality compared to a lot of other Zep songs which are about primal sex and betrayal.

Yes, "bright" is the way to describe it... I always thought it sounded like perfectly toned and polished bells, upbeat and cheery for the most part, and I attach some of the warmest memories of my youth to those tracks. That, along with the springtime release of the album, and the monster tour that marked my first concert put it as one of my fave Zep albums.

Mc7

I personally don't think any Led Zep album sounds 'heavy' except for maybe Presence. And then that's just Achilles Last Stand.

It's probably their most radio-friendly album because of that upbeat 'nonthreatening' quality compared to a lot of other Zep songs which are about primal sex and betrayal.

I think that IV probably got/gets more airplay than the songs of HOTH.

But any very short song, such as D'Yer M'ker, will automatically be the darling of radio.... as they just can't help themselves.....

As far as 'sexy' goes..... OTHAFA played LOUD from TSRTS .... is --very-- Sexy. :D

Yes....... all in all..... I would still prefer TSRTS versions blasted LOUD over the HOTH versions blasted with the same volumes. :)

There is really no comparison because HOTH is a studio album with all the production and guitar dubbings that goes with it.

TSRTS is a live album and is as you'd expect more dynamic in terms of hardness and volume.

I don't know why Jimmy never played the TSRTS version of OTHAFA on the doubleneck (twelve string)?

I always considered HOTH their weakest release. Partially because of the sound, but a lot of other reasons too. A lot of the songs on it seemed a little too sappy, in my opinion. For this one, they seemed to have forgotten their blues roots... or maybe they were just going for something different. Plant's voice on this record sounds weird too. As if he inhaled helium before recording a few of the songs (mostly SRTS and TOS).

Anyway... A lot of people out there seemed to like this one a lot, so I know I'm in the minority. For me, it would have been a better release if they had included songs like The Rover, HOTH, and Walter's Walk instead of some of the other ones they chose instead.

I disagree because stuff like D'Yer Maker, Rain Song, and Over the Hills winds up crossing over into adult contemporary/easy-listening stations. Songs like Levee, Black Dog, and RnR are just too dark and heavy to do that, so they are stuck on the classic rock stations.

I agree with Otto. No surprise.

HOTH was/is one of the most forward looking/mold breaking albums. It took FOREVER to get any credit critically.

There is so much joy oozing out of some of those tracks, it makes you want to dance around like a little kid!

Not easily categorized and what separates Zep for all time. A LOT of nuance is on this recording and, to me has stood the test of time, as one of my all time faves.

I graduated high school that year and I finally "GOT IT" that, if you let go of your expectations of who Zep should be, each new outing would be a thrilling ride.

Still my go to Zep collection.

I agree with Otto. No surprise.

HOTH was/is one of the most forward looking/mold breaking albums. It took FOREVER to get any credit critically.

There is so much joy oozing out of some of those tracks, it makes you want to dance around like a little kid!

Not easily categorized and what separates Zep for all time. A LOT of nuance is on this recording and, to me has stood the test of time, as one of my all time faves.

I graduated high school that year and I finally "GOT IT" that, if you let go of your expectations of who Zep should be, each new outing would be a thrilling ride.

Still my go to Zep collection.

Well said Buk - that's one of the things with Zep that made them so special - every album was unique and they didn't just churn out the same sound over and over. I like the transition from IV into HOTH and then Physical Graffiti. Houses isn't my favorite album but I love it to pieces.

I also think that LZ3 is light as well. Nothing wrong with that. I love all of Zep. I do agree that HOTH is Bluesless.

Another thing is that HOTH has classic Zep cuts. If anyone wants to study Zep this is a great Studio CD/Download to get.

Mc7

Mc7

I've got to agree with McSeven,'Houses Of The Holy' has never sounded 'right' to me.I don't think that its the songs themselves,as live they became monsters,and 'Dancing Days' would easily fit into my own Zeppelin top ten.I just think that the whole sound of the album is,for want of a better phrase,well,weak.Presumably it was the sound that the band were happy with at the time,so maybe its down to the production or engineering of the album,but I know where McSeven is coming from on this.Mind you,opinions are like certain parts of the anatomy.Everbody's got one.

For me, anything "light" associated with HOTH is because of the tour and the concerts that accompanied the release of that album - what my friends and I still affectionately refer to as the "Houses" tour. While I love all the Zep concerts I attended, each for different reasons, the "Houses" tour was the one tour that I will always associate with pure joy. In terms of joy and fun and light-heartedness, I don't think that there was any Zep tour that came close to matching the "Houses" tour.

But any very short song, such as D'Yer M'ker, will automatically be the darling of radio.... as they just can't help themselves.....

As far as 'sexy' goes..... OTHAFA played LOUD from TSRTS .... is --very-- Sexy. :D

Thanks for reminding me of that Rover: OTHAFA is very, very, Sexy. :blush: Well, you just brought back a flood of memories for me. ;)

Edited to add:

Archived