What Is Your Latest Book Purchase?

Jahfin

On 12/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I recently watched a documentary called "Monty Python: Almost the Truth" on Netflix. It is brilliant! I highly recommend it, if you have not seen it yet. :) 

Thanks for the recommendation, Kiwi. Sounds great. But we don't have Netflix.
I ordered the Monty Python by Monty Python book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:30 AM, LedZed66 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Kiwi. Sounds great. But we don't have Netflix.
I ordered the Monty Python by Monty Python book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

You're very welcome! Always happy to recommend things for a fellow Python fan! :D 

Oh and do check your forum PMs whenever you can.

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On 12/9/2019 at 6:03 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

You're very welcome! Always happy to recommend things for a fellow Python fan! :D 

Oh and do check your forum PMs whenever you can.

Thank you so much, Kiwi. Fantastic, interesting stuff.

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, Strider said:

Garbage. Another nutter. The Kennedys did it.

I know, I know. But I watched the author when he was on the Joe Rogan podcast and I got hooked in. Rogan is sort of like an Alex Jones type, of sorts, and sort of sold me on the book with his enthusiasm.

I read Helter Skelter when it came out, and Bugliosi's tale of the events and the official story in pretty believable. But later on in life I started listening to Vincent Bugliosi and he just go more and more weird, angry, egotistical, and all of that. Now I think Bugliosi could have layered on some extra shit to the story too. Huge ego that man had, I wouldn't put it past him.

I bought the book because there is something there to the whole CIA LSD thing. The CIA tried to destroy all traces of their program, they lied to us, and if not by chance that program was uncovered by a congressional investigation. What remains is if there was any connection to the CIA and free clinic where we now know the CIA was giving LSD to hippies in SF during the time Manson and the girls were living there.

The whole Manson event is so fucked up. These young girls turned into ruthless nazi like killers. But LSD was a big thing with the Manson family, but Manson himself rarely used it. Did he learn how to mind fuck people and control them the same way the CIA was experimenting on soldiers and such with?  That is what bothers me.

I haven't started reading it yet. Still re reading Helter Skelter first as a baseline. I'll post my take on this book after I read it. I do not easily buy conspiracy stuff. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald could have made that shot, and I don't believe in UFOs.

Edited by kipper

11 hours ago, redrum said:

Why do they many of them cry: 'OH, MY GOD!' when the shit hits the fan? 😄

Because of that little bit of early childhood brainwashing that's ingrained and hard to shake off..

Edited by JTM

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, kipper said:

Reality probably.

Or when antifa yells: CALL THE COPS!!! 😄

Just got this in the mail......

Almost 600 pages and everything about art, photography, film, architecture, etc. had a different edition in community college and this one is from 2002. 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1IXcCQjG3L.jpg

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Strider said:

Alright! Alright! Alright!

9780062908506_p0_v3_s1200x630.jpg.af68bf3da75fa890bd933b237824201e.jpg

Love that film.

Slater: Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he come in the door, man, she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man.

Slater: George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man.

Slater: This place used to be off limits, man, 'cause some drunk freshman fell off. He went right down the middle, smacking his head on every beam, man. I hear it doesn't hurt after the first couple though. Autopsy said he had one beer, how many did you have?

Slater: Imagine how many people out there are fuckin' right now man, just goin' at it.

Slater: Didja ever look at a dollar bill, man? There's some spooky shit goin' on there. And it's green too.

Slater: Are you cool, man?

Mitch Kramer: Like how?

Slater: Okay.

Kaye: Think about it! You're basically alone on a deserted island with 2 readily available women. One, a seductive sex goddess type. The other... a healthy girl-next-door-type with a nice butt. So the men have it all, the Madonna and the whore. Women get nothing! We get a geek, an overweight middle-age guy, and a nerdy scientific type.

Randy "Pink" Floyd: Have you seen Jodi around?

Wooderson: No she left your ass.

Randy "Pink" Floyd: Well you win some you lose some.

Wooderson: Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.

Wooderson:  That's what I love about these High School chicks man, I get older, they stay the same age.

Wooderson: Hey man, you got a joint?

Mitch Kramer: Uhh, no; not on me man.

Wooderson: It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

Wooderson: What do you reckon you're gonna do?

Randy "Pink" Floyd: I don't know man I'll probably end up signing it, I just don't wanna give in so easy.

Wooderson: Man it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. Ya know, if it ain't that piece of paper, it's some other choice they're gonna try to make for you. You got to do what Randall "Pink" Floyd wants to do, man. And let me tell you this; the older you do get, the more rules they're gonna TRY to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man. L-I-V-I-N.

Slater: Man, if you're gonna sign that paper, man, you should throw a little grass in the middle, man, roll it up, and sign the joint, man. That's gonna tell 'em somethin'.

I have so many books in my que that I need to read, and yesterday I picked up a 50 year old copy of The Godfather by Mario Puzo.  

Seen the film 1000 times and read the book 50 years ago. Now I'm so old I guess I am doing replays.

3 hours ago, kipper said:

I have so many books in my que that I need to read, and yesterday I picked up a 50 year old copy of The Godfather by Mario Puzo.  

Seen the film 1000 times and read the book 50 years ago. Now I'm so old I guess I am doing replays.

The part I remember most in the Godfather book was when they described Luca Brasi. Scary.

In the Godfather when Bruno Tattaglia lights a cigarette for Luca Brasi you  see him glance up behind Luca at the assassin sneaking up on him, preparing  to coordinate their attack. :

1 hour ago, redrum said:

The part I remember most in the Godfather book was when they described Luca Brasi. Scary.

In the Godfather when Bruno Tattaglia lights a cigarette for Luca Brasi you  see him glance up behind Luca at the assassin sneaking up on him, preparing  to coordinate their attack. :

Great part of the story which never made it into the film.  The reason Virgil Sollozo had to take out Luca first, was Luca was the Don's ace in the hole, a psychotic killer but loyal to the Don.  Reason why nobody would attempt to kill the Don... Luca would come after him.

I also liked the back story on ex cop Al Neri.

• 9 months later...

Picked this book up the other week. Very interesting as I went to tonnes of shows at this venue. Zeppelin graced the stage of course in November 1971. 

It gives dates of bands who appeared there and it was great to read the bands and the dates I saw there. My first ever gig was Budgie in June 1976 and I sat in the side circle which can be seen from this picture.

It was the home of the world famous Halle Orchestra so the sound inside was fantastic. Famously it was at this venue that the "Judas" heckle aimed at Bob Dylan when he played an electric set back in the 60's

Sadly it was turned into a Radisson Hotel, but the façade of the building remains intact. Never stayed there as it is £200 a night.

OIP.jpg.3adf6cf54153406a8181c3eeccc4d9cf.jpgOIP.jpg

Edited by chillumpuffer