Beatles Library is just so deep

NickZepp

I've always been a Beatles fan, they are probably the most influential band of all time. As big a Led head as I am, I think Zepp is the most talented band of all time but I seem to always find a Beatles song that rarely gets radio play that is so fucking great. There is no other band with a library like the Beatles that is so diverse and so deep. You have the popular pop songs that everyone knows like She Loves You, We Can Work it Out or the 30 other songs that get played over and over again. Then you get the great little songs like Long Long Long which is basically a Harrison prayer to God, For No One which is another amazing little song, and Because which is just an amazing harmony. There are well over 130 great songs from the Beatles. No one can really touch that.

1snpeb.jpg

Years ago I saw this Beatles box set at a Turtles in Athens, GA but held off on picking it up since it was so expensive (over $300). Years later a local music chain (also affiliated with Turtles which originally began as Record Bar) was going out of business so I began snatching up all kinds of CDs at very reasonable prices. The entire time I was keeping my eye on the Beatles box. Once it got down to around $200 I took it home with me. One of the very best musical investments I ever made. Hopefully someday soon they'll finally see fit to remaster the entire catalog.

1snpeb.jpg

Years ago I saw this Beatles box set at a Turtles in Athens, GA but held off on picking it up since it was so expensive (over $300). Years later a local music chain (also affiliated with Turtles which originally began as Record Bar) was going out of business so I began snatching up all kinds of CDs at very reasonable prices. The entire time I was keeping my eye on the Beatles box. Once it got down to around $200 I took it home with me. One of the very best musical investments I ever made. Hopefully someday soon they'll finally see fit to remaster the entire catalog.

I'm surprised the whole catalogue wasn't remastered, especially by now.

I've always been a Beatles fan, they are probably the most influential band of all time. As big a Led head as I am, I think Zepp is the most talented band of all time but I seem to always find a Beatles song that rarely gets radio play that is so fucking great. There is no other band with a library like the Beatles that is so diverse and so deep. You have the popular pop songs that everyone knows like She Loves You, We Can Work it Out or the 30 other songs that get played over and over again. Then you get the great little songs like Long Long Long which is basically a Harrison prayer to God, For No One which is another amazing little song, and Because which is just an amazing harmony. There are well over 130 great songs from the Beatles. No one can really touch that.

:thumbsup: I agree and George Martin is a FN Genus!

I'm surprised the whole catalogue wasn't remastered, especially by now.

Just like so many things involving the Beatles it seems to be caught up in an endless web of legalities. Also, it seems like every time the reissues are about to be released something stands in the way of that happening.

As for artists with "deep" back catalogs, those of the Stones, Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, etc. are much deeper and that's just scratching the surface. Some artists, like Willie Nelson tend to release at least two or more new records every year.

Just like so many things involving the Beatles it seems to be caught up in an endless web of legalities. Also, it seems like every time the reissues are about to be released something stands in the way of that happening.

As for artists with "deep" back catalogs, those of the Stones, Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, etc. are much deeper and that's just scratching the surface. Some artists, like Willie Nelson tend to release at least two or more new records every year.

That's too bad.

None of those guys are as good as deep as the Beatles are though. Dylan is close but there's no way Neil Young or the Grateful Dead or Willie Nelson as much as I respect their music are near as deep as the Beatles and the Beatles did it all in like 7 years.

None of those guys are as good as deep as the Beatles are though. Dylan is close but there's no way Neil Young or the Grateful Dead or Willie Nelson as much as I respect their music are near as deep as the Beatles and the Beatles did it all in like 7 years.

It depends how you define "deep". Do you mean the vastness of their catalogs, the "deepness" of the meanings behind their lyrics/songs or the amount of ground they've covered stylistically? Willie has done nearly every type of music known to man from jazz to reggae. Neil has done country, rock, folk and decibel busting, ear splittingly loud rock with Crazy Horse. The Stones have done punkish material, reggae, funk, disco, country, rock and have even incorporated elements of world music into their music. I didn't mention him but Steve Earle has also crossed many boundaries with his music, everything from bluegrass to punk rock. Same thing with Ryan Adams. I consider the Beatles my favorites and they most definitely knocked down many barriers with their music but they weren't by any means the only ones. They may have made forays into hard rock, reggae, etc. but that's all they were were "forays".

And then Dylan is a category all by himself. Not just variety, but the sheer volume and quality of work, not to mention the influence on thousands who came after.

He even had a huge and profound influence on - GASP! The Beatles.

Don't think you can really compare them. Certainly Dylan without question has had a profound effect on music - in a different way from the Beatles.

I think the OP is trying to convey that the Beatles don't have a lot of filler in their catalog. I suppose that is worthy of debate because they may have a few things on Beatles For Sale that are iffy. Not necessarily bad stuff but that album could have been stronger or edited down to an EP.

speaking of rarely played beatles masterpieces, how about this list:

you can't do that (super-overlooked vocal by lennon doing what he does best)

baby's in black (awesome time signature beatle song that began as a waltz...)

i'm only sleeping (lennon's first visit to la-la-land...)

she said, she said (some of the greatest guitars ever recorded)

i want to tell you (smoking frigging guitars-that goes for ALL of 'revolver')

got to get you into my life (killer paul pot song...)

baby, you're a rich man (beatles with guest brian jones of the stones)

happiness is a warm gun (guess they won't use this for a commercial real soon...)

i'm so tired (john loves sleep, what can i say...)

blackbird (killer finger picking by paul...)

everybody's got some thing to hide...(zepfanforever's favorite...)

hey bulldog (one of my faves...)

oh, darling (great paul vocal....john would haved killed with this song, too...)

two of us (perfect meshing of john and paul....again.)

i've got a feeling (inspiration for grunge? i dunno....geat song, though.)

this list used to include 'dear prudence', which they've go-opted for a commercial, sans chorus. my favorite commercial, right now...

Oh Gosh, and all those tunes on the BBC Sessions double disc they did. Many, if not most, were covers but it was The Beatles doing them. Some of my favorites off that, and fairly obscure were,

disc1

4. I Got a Woman [#]

5. Too Much Monkey Business [#]

6. Keep Your Hands off My Baby [#]

7. I'll Be on My Way [#]

8. Young Blood [#]

9. Shot of Rhythm and Blues [#]

10. Sure to Fall (In Love With You) [#]

11. Some Other Guy [#]

15. That's All Right (Mama) [#]

16. Carol [#]

17. Soldier of Love (Lay Down Your Arms) [#]

19. Clarabella [#]

29. Johnny B. Goode [#]

30. Memphis [#]

31. Lucille [#]

disc2

10. Sweet Little Sixteen [#]

12. Lonesome Tears in My Eyes [#]

13. Nothin' Shakin' (But the Leaves on the Trees) [#]

14. Hippy Hippy Shake [#]

15. Glad All Over [#]

16. I Just Don't Understand [#]

17. So How Come (No One Loves Me) [#]

29. I Got to Find My Baby [#]

30. Ooh! My Soul [#]

32. Don't Ever Change [#]

bolded are absolute favorites from then.

1zyez37.jpg

NickZepp,for me at the top of the pile it's the Beatles followed by everyone else.I really enjoy the music of a lot of artists but the Beatles were/are still in a class of their own.Really good to see a song like 'Long,Long Long' getting a mention as I love this one myself.For years I thought that this number was just a straight love song but as the author was George Harrison I should have twigged it.A great song from a tremendous album.

1snpeb.jpg

How's it going "NickZepp" and "Jahfin?" THE BEATLES are and always will be, my most favorite band ever. There will never be another BEATLES in this lifetime or the next. I can honestly say that I own just about everthing there is to own on THE BEATLES. I own all of their original LP/Vinyl's, Cassettes and 8-Track collections. I also own prettry much all of their bootlegs as well as DVD bootlegs. I own all of the original 1982 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) LP/Vinyl Limited Edition numbered ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING collection releases as well as the Dr. Ebbetts releases. Someone in Europe made a master tape in the recording studio using the MFSL LP/Vinyl's and released them on CD. These MFSL CD releases sound better than the regular releases ever did. The Dr. Ebbetts' releases sound incredible as well. You have to find them (They are hard to find) and hear them to believe it. ROCK ON!

speaking of rarely played beatles masterpieces, how about this list:

you can't do that (super-overlooked vocal by lennon doing what he does best)

baby's in black (awesome time signature beatle song that began as a waltz...)

i'm only sleeping (lennon's first visit to la-la-land...)

she said, she said (some of the greatest guitars ever recorded)

i want to tell you (smoking frigging guitars-that goes for ALL of 'revolver')

got to get you into my life (killer paul pot song...)

baby, you're a rich man (beatles with guest brian jones of the stones)

happiness is a warm gun (guess they won't use this for a commercial real soon...)

i'm so tired (john loves sleep, what can i say...)

blackbird (killer finger picking by paul...)

everybody's got some thing to hide...(zepfanforever's favorite...)

hey bulldog (one of my faves...)

oh, darling (great paul vocal....john would haved killed with this song, too...)

two of us (perfect meshing of john and paul....again.)

i've got a feeling (inspiration for grunge? i dunno....geat song, though.)

this list used to include 'dear prudence', which they've go-opted for a commercial, sans chorus. my favorite commercial, right now...

Great list beatbo.Two on my list are, I Call Your Name and What Goes On.

Archived