Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

19 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

Knivsta Sweden ; September 14, 1968    :elvis2:

I talked with Kevin Shirley and Joe Bonamassa on Sirius XM channel 106 Volume a few months ago and he confirmed he hasn’t “spoken with Jimmy Page in 10 years”. He could have already worked on 9/14/68 Sweden 🇸🇪, which is very near one of the first fully recorded shows as Led Zeppelin (to commemorate 50 years this Zeptember). We’ll see. 

R😎

3 hours ago, reids said:

I talked with Kevin Shirley and Joe Bonamassa on Sirius XM channel 106 Volume a few months ago and he confirmed he hasn’t “spoken with Jimmy Page in 10 years”. He could have already worked on 9/14/68 Sweden 🇸🇪, which is very near one of the first fully recorded shows as Led Zeppelin (to commemorate 50 years this Zeptember). We’ll see. 

R😎

I wish someone could get a detailed response from Shirley on what he transferred from tape onto computer for Page for the 2003 DVD, and what material was multi-tracked.

I remember the interview when he talked about a room full of boxes of tapes and sifting through them.

I imagine they transferred everything over to digital at that time - so the tapes wouldn't decay any further - and then shortlisted what they wanted to work on for the DVD and audio release.  

In the same interview he says a lot of the live stuff he listened to was rough as there were a lot of drugs flying around, so it doesn't bode that well for the upcoming release. But we shall see.

8 hours ago, reids said:

I talked with Kevin Shirley...and he confirmed he hasn’t “spoken with Jimmy Page in 10 years”. 

Which at least means that Shirley won't be compressing all the air out of Bonzo's drum sound for the mixes of any 50th anniversary live stuff!

10 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I wish someone could get a detailed response from Shirley on what he transferred from tape onto computer for Page for the 2003 DVD, and what material was multi-tracked.

I remember the interview when he talked about a room full of boxes of tapes and sifting through them.

I imagine they transferred everything over to digital at that time - so the tapes wouldn't decay any further - and then shortlisted what they wanted to work on for the DVD and audio release.  

In the same interview he says a lot of the live stuff he listened to was rough as there were a lot of drugs flying around, so it doesn't bode that well for the upcoming release. But we shall see.

I posted a link on this site to a 2003 interview with Shirley a couple of years ago - although I believe that interview has since being removed off the 'net - and in that interview, Shirley listed the following as the multi-track tapes he listened to;

- Royal Albert Hall, 1970

- Long Beach Arena/L.A. Forum (two nights), 1972

- Southampton University, 1973

- Madison Square Garden (three nights), 1973

- Earl's Court (five nights), 1975

- Knebworth (two nights), 1979

Shirley didn't mention Japan '71 which we know for a fact was multi-tracked, so I'm wondering if there is any in the archives we've never heard of.  I'd love anything from '77 (unless it's Tempe), but Shirley stated elsewhere that no 1977 shows were multi-tracked...

14 hours ago, achillestand said:

If not from Shirley, where did the original claim about the Japan 71 tapes being worked on for HTEWW come from?

I believe it was Dave Lewis at Tight But Loose who originated that rumor... not sure if he's either spoken about where he got that 'scoop' from or if someone has ever asked him about it.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Some of that material was leaked last year.

Was it a multi-track recording... and how do you know?

On 11/01/2018 at 6:04 PM, SymphonyX said:

I guess you gotta read between the lies. He already mixed Knivsta Sweden 1968 and currently not working on anything as of after that lately.

Wow. That’s interesting! It would be very interesting to contrast the yardbirds 68 with zeppelin 68 , that’s quite a story . How about some studio sketches or unreleased,  assuming there are any, zeppelin doing “for your love” for example,as the companion disc. 

5 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

I believe it was Dave Lewis at Tight But Loose who originated that rumor... not sure if he's either spoken about where he got that 'scoop' from or if someone has ever asked him about it.

Was it a multi-track recording... and how do you know?

;)

On 1/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, SteveAJones said:

Some of that material was leaked last year.

I just assumed it was Empress Valley that leaked the Black Dog sound board tape, because wasn't it an extra track on one of their other releases? Also, it doesn't sound so much like a multitrack recording to me but I would defer to someone more experienced in audio matters. 

Kevin shirley has said conflicting things about earls court. In one interview he says all 5 nights were recorded. In another he states he was the most excited about the prospect of working on the earls court tapes because he thought all 5 nights were recorded and would make a killer live record but was dissapointed to find out only 3 nights were recorded and the kick drum was missing on the first 6 songs on the 23rd. So which version is true?

I think shirley only listed the concerts that actually were worked on for release in relation to DVD and hwww and not every concert that was listened to. The 13 shows he listed were what was left after other shows were eliminated as candidates for release. He said he listened to 15 shows and worked in 13. My guess is the other 2 shows were the 2 osaka shows from 1971 as the 71 japan shows are the only known multitracks not on shirleys list.

11 minutes ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Kevin shirley has said conflicting things about earls court. In one interview he says all 5 nights were recorded. In another he states he was the most excited about the prospect of working on the earls court tapes because he thought all 5 nights were recorded and would make a killer live record but was dissapointed to find out only 3 nights were recorded and the kick drum was missing on the first 6 songs on the 23rd. So which version is true?

The last part, as one was before working on it (excitement) and the last part was once he found out what materials they actually had.

R😎

I think the real reason page keeps passing over the japan tapes and the reason why neither page or shirley or anyone else for that matter won't officially confirm on record those tapes still exist is because page does not own the tapes. Atlantic's Japanese division paid for the recordings unlike the Cali 72 tapes which the band paid for out of pocket and this might mean the band's cut for a japan release could be smaller cause they don't own the rights to the recording hence the reason for saying the tapes were erased because the record company could demand the tapes be handed over and released against their wishes.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:23 AM, achillestand said:

Hey what is the Kevin Shirley tweet from september 29 that reads

Led Zeppelin
KS mixed!

I cannot have full access to the link provided.

"KS" is referring to Shirley's own initials. Probably just a flashback link to one of the 2003 items he did.

Kevin shirleys rough mixdown  tapes for Southampton and royal albert hall were leaked to evsd and released. I wonder if black dog from osaka is from a shirley mixdown or even Someone else's mixdown it sounds alot better and different from the other 71 boards. The other 71 boards are like the 73 boards muffled with pages guitar quite low in the mix which is a typical foh mix. Black dog has way more clarity with pages guitar much more prominent and all band members in perfect balance. It sounds better than even the best 75 boards. Black dog is not near as dry as a typical zeppelin s.b. multitrack mixdown tapes can have soundboard like dryness if it's a quick mixdown with out any processing and if the crowd mics and ambient Mic tracks are not mixed in

I looked at the rhino promo calendar from last year and for September 2017 the used the bbc sessions album cover but the expanded bbc was released in 2016. There was no zeppelin release in September of 2017. So the hwww album cover for September 2018 does not necessarily mean anything. They just may like using zeppelin album covers for September. But I'm cautiously optimistic. So there is still hope.

44 minutes ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

I looked at the rhino promo calendar from last year and for September 2017 the used the bbc sessions album cover but the expanded bbc was released in 2016. There was no zeppelin release in September of 2017. So the hwww album cover for September 2018 does not necessarily mean anything. They just may like using zeppelin album covers for September. But I'm cautiously optimistic. So there is still hope.

Interesting, it may not mean anything at all I agree. Welcome to the board.

Archived