Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sam_webmaster

LED ZEPPELIN OFFICIAL ILLUSTRATED BOOK - COMING 2018

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, 76229 said:

I fantasise that the 50th anniversary might jog a few memories and someone might think "hang on I was at that gig at the Roundhouse / Klooks Kleek / wherever, wonder if I took me camera?"

Fifty years after the fact and 20+ years into the internet era any amateur '68 gig photo that hasn't surfaced by now likely never will. Even if someone were to recall they took photos & went looking for them they'd be trying to make a print from deteriorating 50 year old negatives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

 

I don't know about unseen. And I'm not sure Sam would like pics being posted here from the book (not sure, just being careful)

There are a couple from the Marquee club and a couple from Teen Club, Gladsaxe, Denmark. A couple of them shows a fair chunk of Bonzo's kit.

Thanks, I'm assuming then that they're the ones that I've already seen here. The Marquee photos are not very clear, I was hoping for a clear shot of his drums. For Bonhamaniacs it's a thing! I'll get my copy in a week or so ....I'll know for sure then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Thanks, I'm assuming then that they're the ones that I've already seen here. The Marquee photos are not very clear, I was hoping for a clear shot of his drums. For Bonhamaniacs it's a thing! I'll get my copy in a week or so ....I'll know for sure then. 

Speculation but wasn't some of the gear "unofficially borrowed" in the early days? I recall a story about an amp blowing up at Canterbury and Jeff Beck, in the audience, suddenly realised it was one of his band's that Grant had "borrowed".

So perhaps in the early (UK) days Bonzo was using someone else's kit. I wonder if anyone would know if when he played with Tim Rose, his kit was rented, was his, or belonged to Rose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest stumbling block to all the 50th anniversary chatter is Jimmy himself.

He promotes well but then falls short of his own promotion. He kinda gave me the impression that

there was lots of "surprises" to come in celebration. But, as usual, things have fallen way short to this point.

Do we need another TSRTS redux?? In any form? The Book looks nice, and I've ordered my copy, but that too 

falls short IMO. 

I remember when Zeppelin would really surprise us when releasing albums and artwork...magick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 76229 said:

Speculation but wasn't some of the gear "unofficially borrowed" in the early days? I recall a story about an amp blowing up at Canterbury and Jeff Beck, in the audience, suddenly realised it was one of his band's that Grant had "borrowed".

So perhaps in the early (UK) days Bonzo was using someone else's kit. I wonder if anyone would know if when he played with Tim Rose, his kit was rented, was his, or belonged to Rose.

The first few months of Zep, Bonzo was using a Slingerland kit, which may have been Grant's property though I've never seen photos of that kit with the Yardbirds. I also read somewhere that the Rickenbacker amps that Page used early on were leftover Yardbirds gear.  (?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Thanks, I'm assuming then that they're the ones that I've already seen here. The Marquee photos are not very clear, I was hoping for a clear shot of his drums. For Bonhamaniacs it's a thing! I'll get my copy in a week or so ....I'll know for sure then. 

The one with the drum kit in it (Its a dark and sparkling colour) is the Teen Club, Denmark pics (7 Sept, '68). 2 of them. One is a nice pic of JPJ with a good chunk of the kit in the background. One is of John himself sweating at the drums. They are B&W and very intimate, nice shots. Not sure if they were previously all in circulation.

I think the book is really great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

The one with the drum kit in it (Its a dark and sparkling colour) is the Teen Club, Denmark pics (7 Sept, '68). 2 of them. One is a nice pic of JPJ with a good chunk of the kit in the background. One is of John himself sweating at the drums. They are B&W and very intimate, nice shots. Not sure if they were previously all in circulation.

I think the book is really great.

Thanks! Can't wait to get my copy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 12:56 AM, rm2551 said:

I got my book and poster. It is a very nice book. Quality. A good annotations section at the back where the lads talk about the pics and context. A lot of beautiful photos in there. Surprisingly, there is very little 1977 comparatively. I though the LA Forum run alone would have been a few pages. Maybe too many pics showed too many "off chops" shots.

But very very delighted with it.

Wow. That is a bit disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have people been receiving their pre-ordered LZ by LZ books? The book itself is great but mine arrived with an error in the gold embossing on the cover, like they ran out of gold before getting to the bottom. As annoying as an error of this sort is, I'm more annoyed that I have not received a response from Reel Art Press since I contacted them 3 days ago about it. Hopefully, for their sake, this was just an isolated incident and not a wide-scale problem.

20181001_225620.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LordStanley said:

Have people been receiving their pre-ordered LZ by LZ books? The book itself is great but mine arrived with an error in the gold embossing on the cover, like they ran out of gold before getting to the bottom. As annoying as an error of this sort is, I'm more annoyed that I have not received a response from Reel Art Press since I contacted them 3 days ago about it. Hopefully, for their sake, this was just an isolated incident and not a wide-scale problem.

20181001_225620.jpg

Thats pretty poor. I got mine early last week. Very well packaged and flawless. I hope they can sort yours out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine arrived today (UK purchase). Slight bump on a corner but nothing major and no fault with printing. Was surprised the poster was folded for some reason and shocked at how heavy it is. As a relative newbie I have not seen the majority of the pictures. A couple of thoughts. How wonderful is great rock photography considering it was a newish medium in the 1960's the artistry is amazing. The picture of Bonzo with the toy drum kit and the washing on the line made me grin like a Cheshire cat, and you can feel the energy from the onstage images. The crowd images are astonishing. Care has been taken in creating this book.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Mine arrived today (UK purchase). Slight bump on a corner but nothing major and no fault with printing. Was surprised the poster was folded for some reason and shocked at how heavy it is. As a relative newbie I have not seen the majority of the pictures. A couple of thoughts. How wonderful is great rock photography considering it was a newish medium in the 1960's the artistry is amazing. The picture of Bonzo with the toy drum kit and the washing on the line made me grin like a Cheshire cat, and you can feel the energy from the onstage images. The crowd images are astonishing. Care has been taken in creating this book.  

I am going to make inquiries at a local framers regarding if it is possible to iron out the creases in the folded poster and frame it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Was surprised the poster was folded for some reason and shocked at how heavy it is.

Mine came with a couple posters. They're nice enough but the fact that they came all folded up does make them less likely to be displayed. 

More importantly, Reel Art Press got back with me and they're sending a new book. Fine service! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Jimmy for the 50th will remaster his authorized photo book. I think any object that exists can be remastered. So don't

lose hope. Maybe posters and tour programs, and legit Zep t-shirts will be remastered. Ha Ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can anyone give me some advice? Ref the book 

i have the choice of poster or no poster 

independent bookseller with or amazon without 

difference in price £11 .Is the poster worth it for the extra cash?

Thanks

Edited by andrew r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Maybe Jimmy for the 50th will remaster his authorized photo book. I think any object that exists can be remastered. So don't

lose hope. Maybe posters and tour programs, and legit Zep t-shirts will be remastered. Ha Ha.

Ok, this truly made me laugh out loud. I'm glad that I had swallowed my mouthful of coffee before reading it. Well played 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrew r said:

Can anyone give me some advice? Ref the book 

i have the choice of poster or no poster 

independent bookseller with or amazon without 

difference in price £11 .Is the poster worth it for the extra cash?

Thanks

The poster is cool as a collectible but it has been folded up for shipping. I guess it would depend on how badly you'd like to frame it and how handy you might be at pressing out the creases.

20181006_094438.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LordStanley said:

The poster is cool as a collectible but it has been folded up for shipping. I guess it would depend on how badly you'd like to frame it and how handy you might be at pressing out the creases.

20181006_094438.jpg

Thanks for the response and the scan .Nice poster, pity about the folds

i get  what you mean... don't think those folds are going to budge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI: Jimmy Page (pre-taped interview) to appear on CBS this morning next Monday, October 8 sometime between 7-9am to discuss new book, etc.

R😎🎸👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reids said:

FYI: Jimmy Page (pre-taped interview) to appear on CBS this morning next Monday, October 8 sometime between 7-9am to discuss new book, etc.

R😎🎸👍

So zeppelin is effectively just Jimmy  Page to all intents and purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, andrew r said:

So zeppelin is effectively just Jimmy  Page to all intents and purposes.

Better than nothing for a group that broke up in 1980. Anything they have done (one-offs, promotional appearances) or released (re-masters, books, etc) since has been a bonus. 

R😎

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reids said:

Better than nothing for a group that broke up in 1980. Anything they have done (one-offs, promotional appearances) or released (re-masters, books, etc) since has been a bonus. 

R😎

just saying, thanks for the heads up but you would think 50 years 

might create a show of solidarity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrew r said:

just saying, thanks for the heads up but you would think 50 years 

might create a show of solidarity?

The three surviving members did appear on camera for the promotion of the book for their 50th. I think anything beyond that right now might get people stirred up again thinking they would reform / do another one-off, which we know is very unlikely now, as they’re in their 70s.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×