Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
confounded_bridge

1977 SHOWS RANKED INTO 3 CATEGORIES

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 6:37 PM, confounded_bridge said:

Hi  everyone. I've  been  reading  this  forum  for  a  long  time  and  i  recently  created  an  account. I  enjoy  all  the  twelve  years  of  music  that  Led  Zeppelin  gave  to  us, and  i  am  a  huge  fan  of  the  1977  tour. I  see  that  the  77  tour  gets  slammed  by  some  waterheads  here  and  there, without  a  reason. I  decided  to  rank  all  the  77  shows, to  prove  that  most  of  them  are  good. THE  ORDER  IS  RANDOM. I  included  only  the  shows  that  we  have  recordings  for.

 

BAD/WEIRD  SHOWS

Tempe  Arizona, July  20  1977

Oklahoma  city, April  3  1977  (the  band  is  unrehearsed)

Chicago, April  6  1977  (the  band  is  unrehearsed)

Chicago, April  7  1977  (the  band  still  sounds  a  little  bit  rusty)

Landover   Maryland,  May  26  1977  (IMTOD  and  Kashmir  are  trainwrecks)

 

MEDIOCRE-GOOD  SHOWS

Houston  TX, May  21  1977  (good  performance)

Fort  worth  TX, May  22  1977  (good  performance)

Landover, May  25  and  28  1977  (mediocre  to  good)

Cleveland, April  27  1977  (good)

Chicago, April  9  1977  (good)

Cincinatti, April  19  and  20  1977  (good)

Atlanta, April  23  1977  (good)

Kentucky, April  25  1977  (good)

New  York, June  7  1977  (good)

San  Diego, June  19  1977  (brilliant  playing  from  Jimmy, bad  playing  from  Bonzo)

Seattle, July  17  1977  (good  show, but  shitty  SIBLY  and  Jimmy  is  lost  during  the  OTHAFA  solo)

Oakland, July  23  1977  (good  show, but  Jimmy  completely  destroys  the  TYG  solo)

Oakland, July  24  1977  (good)

 

VERY  GOOD-LEGENDARY  SHOWS

Chicago, April  10  1977  (very  good, the  only  bad  moment  is  the  first  TYG  solo, but  Jimmy  makes  up  with  the  second  solo)

Cleveland, April  28  1977  (excellent  show, one  of  the  best  TYG, great  NQ, kashmir  and  ALS)

Pontiac, April  30  1977  (excellent, Jimmy  plays  greatly)

Birmingham, May  18  1977  (excellent)

Landover, May  30  1977  (excellent)

Tampa, June  3  1977  (it  started  excellent  and  powerful)

New  York, June  8,10,11,13,14  1977  (excellent)

Los  Angeles, June  21,22,23,25,26,27  1977  (epic, legendary  shows, with  the  22nd  being  my  favorite)

 

I'd  like  to  hear  your  opinions  on  my  list.

 

 

 

I agree with almost all of it  except  I  rank  the 2nd Oakland show  in the bottom tier .  I also think the  first 2 Chicago shows. Are pretty solid considering the lack of rehearsal  with the 2nd show being  a very good one   plants voice is in very strong shape in Chicago . I find the 7th to be a very strong and compact show from start to finish  and a big improvement over  the shows that came before it   since I've been loving you from the 6th and 7th  are great versions .  San Diego was a pretty wired show . Page and plant were in great form but Bonham was a train wreck . If Bonham had been on it would have been one off the best shows of 77. The aborted 3rd Chicago show was another bad one . Jimmy was on bad shape  and had to walk off after  the first few numbers and cancel the rest of the show . I would count Seattle as  one of the worst of 77 as well. Plants voice is awful  and jimmy is a mess. I think even the first Chicago show is much better then srattle

Edited by Adam Ryan watson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Yes. I don't think 6/22 is as good overall as people say it is, and the last two shows are kinda blah.

June 27  is  a bit rough and they are pretty tired  . The 26th is. An above average show for 77 but it's just a good solid show with nothing that really stands out. Bonham is a little lack luster on the 25th  but jimmy and Robert are on . I do think the 22nd  is a better show then the 25th . I don't know if it's better then the 23rd or 21st but it's at least on par with them . You can find performance from the 22nd that top ones from the 22st and 23rd . It has the best version  of over the hills and far way of 77 as well as the  best imtod of 77.  In terms of pages guitar playing and plants vocals it's hard to find better performances from 77. No quarter has a killer solo from page . The  22nd  has one of the most powerful Kashmirs of 77 . Since I've been loving you is stellar as well.  It's really hard to say how good the show really is  because of the recording quality .   Each of the first 3  shows In l.a have moments that top the other two . It definitely  beats shows like the landover run Houston and fort worth  . Houston is not near as bad as some make it out to be  but I still find it  to be  pretty  dull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TangerineDreamer said:

All I know is I saw LZ 3/1/77 in Baton Rouge, La and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Never seen anything like it before or since. C’mon! It’s Led Zeppelin! What’s not to like? 

Wow...please tell us everything you can remember since there's no (widely) circulating tape of it!!

P.S.  You mean 5/19/77, right?

Edited by Bonzo_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 10:01 AM, Strider said:

I wrote this about two years ago.

 

Your  post  sums  up  everything  about  the  77  tour. I  agree  100%  and  i  still  don't  get  why  so  many  people  dislike  this  tour. I  guess  they  have  their  own  problems...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Wow...please tell us everything you can remember since there's no (widely) circulating tape of it!!

P.S.  You mean 5/19/77, right?

I  thought  that  the  tape  was  not  circulating  at  all. At  least, if  it  circulates  among  the  elite  of  fans, there  is  a  lot  of  hope  it  will  leak  one  day. Your  post  made  my  day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, Adam Ryan watson said:

June 27  is  a bit rough and they are pretty tired  . The 26th is. An above average show for 77 but it's just a good solid show with nothing that really stands out. Bonham is a little lack luster on the 25th  but jimmy and Robert are on . I do think the 22nd  is a better show then the 25th . I don't know if it's better then the 23rd or 21st but it's at least on par with them . You can find performance from the 22nd that top ones from the 22st and 23rd . It has the best version  of over the hills and far way of 77 as well as the  best imtod of 77.  In terms of pages guitar playing and plants vocals it's hard to find better performances from 77. No quarter has a killer solo from page . The  22nd  has one of the most powerful Kashmirs of 77 . Since I've been loving you is stellar as well.  It's really hard to say how good the show really is  because of the recording quality .   Each of the first 3  shows In l.a have moments that top the other two . It definitely  beats shows like the landover run Houston and fort worth  . Houston is not near as bad as some make it out to be  but I still find it  to be  pretty  dull.

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

I  thought  that  the  tape  was  not  circulating  at  all. At  least, if  it  circulates  among  the  elite  of  fans, there  is  a  lot  of  hope  it  will  leak  one  day. Your  post  made  my  day!

As far as I know, it does/did circulate amongst a very elite group of collectors.  I think Nutrocker is probably the guy to ask for more details on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

As far as I know, it does/did circulate amongst a very elite group of collectors.  I think Nutrocker is probably the guy to ask for more details on that.

If memory serves, a few people heard it before Freezer put the kibosh on its release...or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to rain on this but for me the ‘77 tour was poor both performance wise-mainly down to Jimmy and Bonzo being out of it most of the time -and sound wise with some awful recordings. I think after the Earls Court shows things nose dived fairly spectacularly and didn’t really recover until Knebworth and the following European tour. For me the band peaked on the ‘73 tour with Jimmy especially reaching levels I’ve not heard from him since-in fact the MSG gigs are really him at the peak of his powers. It’s very telling that nothing from the ‘77 tour features on any official live release, so clearly Jimmy doesn’t rate those performances either. 

 

Edited by Paganini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paganini said:

Sorry to rain on this but for me the ‘77 tour was poor both performance wise-mainly down to Jimmy and Bonzo being out of it most of the time -and sound wise with some awful recordings. I think after the Earls Court shows things nose dived fairly spectacularly and didn’t really recover until Knebworth and the following European tour. For me the band peaked on the ‘73 tour with Jimmy especially reaching levels I’ve not heard from him since-in fact the MSG gigs are really him at the peak of his powers. It’s very telling that nothing from the ‘77 tour features on any official live release, so clearly Jimmy doesn’t rate those performances either.

This is fair comment re: Page, but apart from San Diego, I'd say Bonzo kept it pretty tight in '77. He was out of it a lot, but it didn't affect his onstage performances imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paganini said:

Sorry to rain on this but for me the ‘77 tour was poor both performance wise-mainly down to Jimmy and Bonzo being out of it most of the time -and sound wise with some awful recordings. I think after the Earls Court shows things nose dived fairly spectacularly and didn’t really recover until Knebworth and the following European tour. For me the band peaked on the ‘73 tour with Jimmy especially reaching levels I’ve not heard from him since-in fact the MSG gigs are really him at the peak of his powers. It’s very telling that nothing from the ‘77 tour features on any official live release, so clearly Jimmy doesn’t rate those performances either. 

 

No. Not  at  all. The  only  reason  for  not  releasing  anything  from  77  is  because  NO  MULTITRACKS  FROM  1977  EXIST. Jimmy  has  said  it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

No. Not  at  all. The  only  reason  for  not  releasing  anything  from  77  is  because  NO  MULTITRACKS  FROM  1977  EXIST. Jimmy  has  said  it.

Well that’s intriguing cos I’ve never seen him say that anywhere-have you got a source you can refer me to then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paganini said:

Sorry to rain on this but for me the ‘77 tour was poor both performance wise-mainly down to Jimmy and Bonzo being out of it most of the time -and sound wise with some awful recordings. I think after the Earls Court shows things nose dived fairly spectacularly and didn’t really recover until Knebworth and the following European tour. For me the band peaked on the ‘73 tour with Jimmy especially reaching levels I’ve not heard from him since-in fact the MSG gigs are really him at the peak of his powers. It’s very telling that nothing from the ‘77 tour features on any official live release, so clearly Jimmy doesn’t rate those performances either. 

 

1. 1977  is  Bonham's  peak 

2. Knebworth  shows  are  shit, compared  to  LA  77  (with  the  exception  of  a   few  songs)

3. Sometimes  Jimmy  played  bad, and  sometimes  BRILLIANT

4. The  1977  LA  shows  alone  are  better  than  all  the  75  shows  and  some  of  the  band's  best  concerts  ever  (together  with  6-25-72, 6-27-72  and  Europe  1973)

5. When  I  listen  to  most  of  the  1973  shows  I  always  think  how  shitty  Plant's  voice  is  (Page  is  great  though)

6. What  exactly  do  you  mean  by  "awful  recordings"?  Millard's  recordings  are  bad  to  your  ears?  4-28-77  recording  sounds  bad  to  you?

7. Someone  who  dislikes  the  1977  LA  shows  (not  to  mention  MSG, Pontiac  and  Birmingham)  is  either  deaf  or  mentally  ill.

 

Edited by confounded_bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Paganini said:

Well that’s intriguing cos I’ve never seen him say that anywhere-have you got a source you can refer me to then ?

Its  been  a  long  time  since  I  read  it  on  this  forum. But  I  remember  clearly  reading  that  Jimmy  was  "unable  to  locate"  multitracks  from  1977. Oh  and  look  at  all  the  photos  from  '77. NO  double  microphones  on  the  kick  drum, Jimmy's  amps  and  John  Paul  Jone's  amps. Perhaps  another  member  will  confirm  this.

Edited by confounded_bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

1. 1977  is  Bonham's  peak 

2. Knebworth  shows  are  shit, compared  to  LA  77  (with  the  exception  of  a   few  songs)

3. Sometimes  Jimmy  played  bad, and  sometimes  BRILLIANT

4. The  1977  LA  shows  alone  are  better  than  all  the  75  shows  and  some  of  the  band's  best  concerts  ever  (together  with  6-25-72, 6-27-72  and  Europe  1973)

5. When  I  listen  to  most  of  1973  shows  I  always  think  how  shitty  Plant's  voice  is  (Page  is  great  though)

6. What  exactly  do  you  mean  by  "awful  recordings"?  Millard's  recordings  are  bad  to  your  ears?  4-28-77  recording  sounds  bad  to  you?

7. Someone  who  dislikes  the  1977  LA  shows  (not  to  mention  MSG, Pontiac  and  Birmingham)  is  either  deaf  or  mentally  ill.

 

Well these are  your opinions and you’re welcome to them, I however will take my cue from JP ( who is neither “deaf or mentally ill” ) and until he comes up with something he’s happy to sanction officially I stand by what I’ve said previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paganini said:

Well these are  your opinions and you’re welcome to them, I however will take my cue from JP ( who is neither “deaf or mentally ill” ) and until he comes up with something he’s happy to sanction officially I stand by what I’ve said previously.

If  he  has  no  multitracks, he  is  never  going  to  release  a  raw  soundboard. Unless  he  decides  do  make  a  matrix  (audience  +  sbd  recording). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, confounded_bridge said:

If  he  has  no  multitracks, he  is  never  going  to  release  a  raw  soundboard. Unless  he  decides  do  make  a  matrix  (audience  +  sbd  recording). 

As I’ve said before, back this up with a source or shut up 🤐 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Paganini said:

As I’ve said before, back this up with a source or shut up 🤐 

You  are  very  rude. And  your  comment  about  the  quality  of  the  shows  and  the  releases  is  the  stupidest  thing  I  have  ever  heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

http://www.deangoodman.com/jimmy-page/

read this interview doesn’t look like there’s 77 multi tracks 

"The only other thing that got loaded was something from a university that was done for a bit of a laugh, and it actually sounded too much of a laugh to actually wanna ever put that out and be measured up by it, because that was something that had a quite a few mistakes on it. We were playing numbers when we had just sorta recorded them and maybe played it for the first time and it was a lot to remember in the set. Consequently you’re gonna come unstuck a little bit. And it’s just something that will never see the light of day. That’s all there is. There’s just one other performance. Everything else is now out that we had live-wise."

Okay, he's talking about Southampton for the most part, but what is the "One other performance"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paganini said:

Sorry to rain on this but for me the ‘77 tour was poor both performance wise-mainly down to Jimmy and Bonzo being out of it most of the time -and sound wise with some awful recordings. I think after the Earls Court shows things nose dived fairly spectacularly and didn’t really recover until Knebworth and the following European tour. For me the band peaked on the ‘73 tour with Jimmy especially reaching levels I’ve not heard from him since-in fact the MSG gigs are really him at the peak of his powers. It’s very telling that nothing from the ‘77 tour features on any official live release, so clearly Jimmy doesn’t rate those performances either. 

 

I guess you're lucky you didn't waste any money on going to any of the 1977 shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×