Couple of questions about Jimmy Page

DanielTA

I would hold Jimmy's thing for him any day lol. Must be something in life though to have your every action and word reported and speculated upon by the press. I can't imagine someone with JP's creativity wouldn't be a bit quirky and strange at times, most people I've known with a 100th of his talent were at times a little odd. Just ask Brian May about clogs and see the reaction!!

i am glad you brought this up... i met him once and he was extremely kind, but it was just one time.

i know that no one is perfect and everyone has a bad day here and there but there are a lot of things out there that suggest he might not be the nicest person in the world by people who are in a position to know...

since you guys seem to know so much about him, i wondered if you would feel comfortable confirming or denying some of the things i have read and heard. mind you, these are not rumors that have been started by fans or others surrounding them. these things have been written by journalists who have risked their reputation if they are not true...

the first one was about janine safer [?}, the publicist. she made some disparaging remarks about him. OF COURSE, she was his employee and, let's be honest, we don't always love our bosses!

one incident in particular involved a journalist from creem who said that jimmy would only let her interview him if janine was there. all three of them spoke the same language and were within a few feet of one another. apparently jimmy insisted that the interviewer ask janine the questions and then janine turned and asked him the questions. and then the same the other way around. he answered janine and she answered the journalist. i am laughing as i am writing this because it sounds so absurd but back in the day these guys could do ANYTHING they wanted....

the second report was from a book written by mark ellen who hosted an interview with roy harper and jimmy in the country. he said that jimmy got up to urinate in the bushes and his female companion went with him and basically "assisted" him in relieving himself. it sounds like he basically stood there and she handled the rest of it. no pun intended....

anyway, obviously these are not criminal offenses by any stretch of the imagination but i was a little surprised when i heard them...

hopefully no one is offended by me asking these things.

Q #1: Yes, Janine Safer was a Swan Song employee and is entitled to her own opinions whatever they may be.

Q#2: I don't specifically recall that incident, and Creem's writers always enjoyed a good working relationship with Led Zeppelin.

Q#3: Mark Ellen did interview Jimmy and Roy in the Lake District near Scafell Pike in October 1984 for BBC's Olde Grey Whistle Test. I'll bet Mark didn't mention how pissed Jimmy was at him for referring to them as two 70s rock stars trying to get their heads together for the intro to the interview they had just completed after Mark gave them every assurance he would treat them fairly and with respect.

Q #1: Yes, Janine Safer was a Swan Song employee and is entitled to her own opinions whatever they may be.

Q#2: I don't specifically recall that incident, and Creem's writers always enjoyed a good working relationship with Led Zeppelin.

Q#3: Mark Ellen did interview Jimmy and Roy in the Lake District near Scafell Pike in October 1984 for BBC's Olde Grey Whistle Test. I'll bet Mark didn't mention how pissed Jimmy was at him for referring to them as two 70s rock stars trying to get their heads together for the intro to the interview they had just completed after Mark gave them every assurance he would treat them fairly and with respect.

that could be very true. the journalist and publicist thought it was just him being childish, but maybe he was reluctant to have any of his words twisted around.

now, what do you have to offer up regarding the peeing incident, lol ; )

IIRC Jaan Uzhelski was the journalist in question. As for the other..I'm reminded of what my four year old nephew told me when I asked him if he needed any help going to the bathroom: "I'm a big boy. I can do it by myself."

yes, i have watched that show quite a few times and that interview was really bad. it was obvious that there was a lot of tension between the two parties. according to mark, there was a lot of partying going on the night before and they decided not to go to bed that night.

the questions that mark ellen asked were very insulting and roy and jimmy were acting out in response. to add insult to injury, they interviewed depeche mode after who were less than respectful!

i just was a little surprised about the urination thing. i had heard it years ago from another source but did not take it too seriously considering all of the stories that have been told. mark ellen seems like someone who would not make up anything that silly...

like i said, everyone has their days. these are just two things that i have heard over the years that made me say, "WTF"? ; )

btw: you seem to know a lot about him so i am sure that you have heard it all. this is the source that i got the info from regarding the creem interview.

Jaan: I've told this before, but it was my encounter with Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin. I'd been on the road with them for over a week and couldn't get him to agree to an interview. Finally on the last day of the tour, he agreed to an audience on the condition that the publicist had to be there. I agreed, but didn't realize the implication until I began asking my questions. Jimmy stipulated that I must first ask the publicist my question and then she relay the question to him--even though we all spoke the same language, and I was sitting a mere six feet from him. This went on for about an hour, and was so odd, and rather humiliating.

I would hold Jimmy's thing for him any day lol. Must be something in life though to have your every action and word reported and speculated upon by the press. I can't imagine someone with JP's creativity wouldn't be a bit quirky and strange at times, most people I've known with a 100th of his talent were at times a little odd. Just ask Brian May about clogs and see the reaction!!

lol, maybe i am just a selfish female but i have never done that for a guy. i thought it was really unusual ; )

IIRC Jaan Uzhelski was the journalist in question. As for the other..I'm reminded of what my four year old nephew told me when I asked him if he needed any help going to the bathroom: "I'm a big boy. I can do it by myself."

yes, that was her name. thank you. i could not think of it when i was asking the question. maybe he could not do it by himself at that point? those seemed to be some lost years.

yes, i have watched that show quite a few times and that interview was really bad. it was obvious that there was a lot of tension between the two parties. according to mark, there was a lot of partying going on the night before and they decided not to go to bed that night.

the questions that mark ellen asked were very insulting and roy and jimmy were acting out in response. to add insult to injury, they interviewed depeche mode after who were less than respectful!

i just was a little surprised about the urination thing. i had heard it years ago from another source but did not take it too seriously considering all of the stories that have been told. mark ellen seems like someone who would not make up anything that silly...

like i said, everyone has their days. these are just two things that i have heard over the years that made me say, "WTF"? ; )

btw: you seem to know a lot about him so i am sure that you have heard it all. this is the source that i got the info from regarding the creem interview.

Jaan: I've told this before, but it was my encounter with Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin. I'd been on the road with them for over a week and couldn't get him to agree to an interview. Finally on the last day of the tour, he agreed to an audience on the condition that the publicist had to be there. I agreed, but didn't realize the implication until I began asking my questions. Jimmy stipulated that I must first ask the publicist my question and then she relay the question to him--even though we all spoke the same language, and I was sitting a mere six feet from him. This went on for about an hour, and was so odd, and rather humiliating.

According to my notes Jaan only interviewed Jimmy once, and it was published in the July 1977 issue of Creem which can be seen at the link below. Jaan does not allude to this stipulation in the published interview, but it could well have been the case.

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35527&hilit=magazine&start=25

According to my notes Jaan only interviewed Jimmy once, and it was published in the July 1977 issue of Creem which can be seen at the link below. Jaan does not allude to this stipulation in the published interview, but it could well have been the case.

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35527&hilit=magazine&start=25

thank you for the link. i have seen her quoted several places about the interview, slightly different wording. that said, the way that information travels these days different iterations of one story or quote can end up all over.

• 5 weeks later...

wwhat kind of food does jimmy like? what kind of cars does he own? would appreciate if anyone knows, just curious. thank you smile.gifsmile.gifcool.gifcool.gif

When in London he often goes around town in black taxi cabs; I have seen him get out of them several times, most recently in December 2014.

Cheers,

Indi

What does Brian May have against clogs?

What does Brian May have against clogs?

May has nothing against clogs, in fact I have heard that he is a world renowned expert on the subject. His favorite form of footwear I believe.

• 1 month later...

I just think Jimmy should be looked at seriously only as a musician and artist. Just my opinion, but people in the creative and

artistic fields are just usually not good role models for people who want quiet, stable lives. Jimmy is very complex, and I

think his good or bad character is hard to judge.

• 4 months later...

May has nothing against clogs, in fact I have heard that he is a world renowned expert on the subject. His favorite form of footwear I believe.

Brian May is endearingly nerdy.  He collects stereoscopic photographs and co-wrote a book about them several years ago.  I wonder if he'll do a book about clogs in the future?

7's, really? Damn, I imagine he breaks a lot of strings! Stevie Ray Vaughan used 13s, didn't he? That's just crazy.

SRV used .13 however he played his guitar, Like Hendrix, a half-step down. IMO SRV was a great player, without a doubt, however I hate his tone, always have. His tone is way, way to thin, tinny, and shrill for my tastes. He may have played with .13 but they sounded like .7 to me. Now both Beck & Gilmour have excellent tone on their Strats and Beck uses .9 and .11 as his setup, don't know what Gilmour uses.

SRV used .13 however he played his guitar, Like Hendrix, a half-step down. IMO SRV was a great player, without a doubt, however I hate his tone, always have. His tone is way, way to thin, tinny, and shrill for my tastes. He may have played with .13 but they sounded like .7 to me. Now both Beck & Gilmour have excellent tone on their Strats and Beck uses .9 and .11 as his setup, don't know what Gilmour uses.

I tried playing with .10's once and I found that pretty difficult, I couldn't even imagine going higher than that.

7's, really? Damn, I imagine he breaks a lot of strings! Stevie Ray Vaughan used 13s, didn't he? That's just crazy.

his guitar tech said that he's never known billy to break a string on stage in all the years he's worked for him, even playing 7s

Beck used to use 9-46 in the 70s but some time in the 1990s he switched to Ernie Balls 11-49. (Pretty heavy) Gilmour has his own hodgepodge set that you can buy from GHS. One set is for Les Pauls (10.5 - 50) and another is for strats (010-.048 ).  

Billy quoted in an interview that he had a conversation with BB King about strings and influenced him to go lighter. Kind off strange because BB used 11-50. (same as Billy used to use)

What gets really tricky is some songs Billy has his guitar tuned to D or C. It's like trying to play guitar with spaghetti for strings.

Beck used to use 9-46 in the 70s but some time in the 1990s he switched to Ernie Balls 11-49. (Pretty heavy) Gilmour has his own hodgepodge set that you can buy from GHS. One set is for Les Pauls (10.5 - 50) and another is for strats (010-.048 ).  

The absolute lightest I go are 9s, anything lighter than that and like you said later, they feel like spaghetti, just way too loose and when I play, I tend to take a more aggressive approach, even when fingerpicking. I have a Taylor acoustic which I love the hell out of and I use Elixir 12s on that baby with a wound third. They seemed heavy at first but once I got used to them they are just great, amazing tone and I can really beat the shit out of them.

A technique I developed that I like to employ often is aggressive, deep, fast bends. I am too cheap to buy a B-Bender so I just bend very deep and weird on a string or even strings (usually the B & G together) and I can get a sound very similar to a B-bender. However that goes to shit when trying to get that sound while chording...I need a B-Bender for that. Maybe one day.

Archived